PDA

View Full Version : Update from Chappers

chappers1980
04-04-12, 19:18
Hello peeps

I haven't been on here for absolutely ages but thought it was time to give an update. I'm doing really well. I'm on the road to coming off Venlafaxine, the last two weeks i've gone from 75mg daily to 37.5mg daily with little side effects.

My anxiety and depression has pretty much gone, only get the odd day where i wobble.

I had a bad accident last week where i severely sprained my ankle and had to go to hospital. The old me would have had a massive panic attack, of course i was anxious and shocked but i surprised myself how well i coped.

I've been back at work 3 months now with no days off! I'm still going for counselling but more for myself than my illness now. I have enjoyed learning about myself and have decided to continue with this.

The main thing i've learnt from this whole ordeal is that you've got to want to get better, you've got to wait until your ready to accept everything and even normal people get anxious so no drug or counselling will ever stop this.

Big hugs to everyone xxxx

I just wanted to let everyone know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

pinkdove
04-04-12, 20:08
hi chappers i'm so pleased for you, you were the one that inspired me, and my reason for changing from cit to ven.

i have had my dose increased 10 days ago to 150mg 75mg am and the same pm.

i am doing so much better, was great last week, think a bit of a blip today, but when i see my pysc in 3 weeks he is going to prescribe the extended release capsules.

it is good to read you are ready to come off the meds, and that you have reduced with no side effects.

i really want to feel better, and try everything i can, changing to ven has been a good choice for me

i wish you all the best for the future, and thanks again for your support and positive threads xx

Catya
13-04-12, 10:28
Thanks for posting that! Great to hear. I agree. You really have to want to get better and make appropriate changes in your life. Good luck to you. xx

chappers1980
02-07-12, 15:40
Hiya

I haven't been back for a while, I'm still on the road to full recovery. Went to my doctors this morning for a check-up as i've been coming off the Venlafaxine, she has told me to take 1 tablet every three days for the next 2 weeks and then STOP! so I shall finally be off them.

The weaning off process hasn't been fun and has been tough at times but i didn't think it would be but knowing that its not forever keeps you moving forward.

I'm still going for a counselling once a month which I will continue you with as i really think it helps to keep you on track.

I've finally found my personal triggers that make me feel very down and anxious 1. lack of sleep is the worst 2. lack of exercise 3. lack of healthy food i particularly feel dire if i eat chocolate. I figured this out from a process of elimination. So when i'm feel stressed or run down I try to stick to living a healthy life style rather than reaching for junk.

Work has been going well, been back at work now six months with no sick days. I push myself through the bad days now and don't let my anxiety consume me. Its just a feeling and much as I don't like it unfortunately its not something that you can totally get rid of as its "normal". I've been through some stressful times the last six months such as moving house, trips to A&E for injuries and coped!

This is just my personal advice and everyone is different but as i'm nearly the outskirts of this terrible illness i wanted to share;

1. Drugs aren't a magic fix but they are not something to be scared of, you wouldn't not take insulin if you were diabetic so whats the difference?

2. Counselling isn't a magic fix either, you have to work hard outside of the sessions to get the full potential out of it.

3. Try not to look for all the negative things on these forums that match your symptoms. They help for a while but eventually they will start to bring you down again hence I've dipped in and out.

4. Don't hide your illness or your symptoms, you will be surprised how many people have been through this but are afraid to share like you. Its nothing to be ashamed of.

5. Put yourself first above everything and everyone else, you are no good to anyone if you are poorly and if push came to shove, they'd do the same.

6. Don't apologise for being ill. You didn't choose to have this illness and its just like any other illness. You didn't do anything to deserve this and you couldn't have done anything to stop it.

7. Keep a journal, it will help you find your trigger points, it might be a bore and repetitive to start with but will pay dividends if you stick with it.

8. Be kind to yourself, don't be too hard on yourself if you have a bad day. This terrible illness tricks you into thinking its not normal to feel anxious or down when everyone feels like this sometimes and if they tell you they don't then they are lying or deluding themselves.

9. Watch or listen to comedy before you go to sleep, you will go to bed with a smile on your face and will hopefully wake up with one too!

10. Never give up...nothing is forever and you won't always feel like this...so what if you have another episode, you got over it once, so why wouldn't you again.

nicola1980
02-07-12, 16:00
Fantastic post, youve done really well :D unfortunatly the ven didnt help me :-( so im still struggling on x x

pinkdove
02-07-12, 16:02
hi chappers, what a great inspirational post, so glad you are better, and now getting of the tabs, but im sure they did help in your recovery.

i am so much better than i was leading a normal life now, still taking 150 xl capsules, and will do for a while yet, i wish you all the best for the future, and once again thanks for you advice and support when i first started ven. take care xxx

Mountainclimber
02-07-12, 16:49
I agree we will never get better, because there is nothing wrong with us, except we have anxiety, :mad:

LAURA48
02-07-12, 17:04
Good post Chappers - very inspirational - like Pink says and very wise words.

Looking forward to starting Ven - and hopefully getting well again. Don't think I could cope without this site - everyone is so helpful and thoughtful.

Laura