PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram advice please folks xx

miniminx
06-04-12, 12:33
hi folks , i need a bit of help and advice here from those of you who know about CITALOPRAM.
My anxiety reared its ugly head about 5 weeks ago but as i had some citalopram in the house i decided to start taking them at 40mg per day..obviously way too much and the side effects have been absolutely awful! !!! I saw my gp who told me along with those of you on here, that 40mg is way too high for a starting dose. So as from 10 days ago ive been on just 20mg. Until two days ago was feeling good , better , happier. BUT! i noted that when i woke i wasnt waking the anxiety as i had been before , but 2 hours after taking the citalopram i was anxious, not much and it did wear off but it was there non the less.. TODAY! i have woken feeling edgey and my mind was a little busy when i woke. ya know the story guys dont you, thinking of things to worry about etc etc..feeling a little scared and dont know why.so what id like to ask is do you think i should up my dose to 30mg? is the 20mg not enough anymore? any help appreciated.........i dont see my doc for two weeks now...and i dont want the anxiety to grab a hold of me again...Thanks guys xxx

mikewales
06-04-12, 12:38
You normally need to stay on one dose for a while to let your body and mind get used to it, changing doses after a short time isn't the best idea unless your GP suggests it. Until you do settle down, then you can still get the odd bad days, but it is worth persevering with it. Often it can take 6 to 8 weeks to really fully settle.

nomorepanic
06-04-12, 13:00
Hi there

We have a whole forum dedicated to this so I will move your post there.

Have a read of the sticky thread in that forum as well - loads of advice in it

miniminx
06-04-12, 22:07
Any one else got thoughts or advice on this too please?

kittikat
06-04-12, 23:20
Hi, I had a bit of a tough time on cit and had to come off it because of the side effects. I was only on 10mg to start with so 40mg seem quite high as a starter dose. Maybe try percevere with the 20mg until you see your doctor to advise you further. Remember we all have good and bad days on meds so try and focus on the positives. Good luck...let us know how you are getting on.
Take care hun.....Kitti :)

ZD
06-04-12, 23:31
Hi , 20 mg is fine to start off with , I found it takes a few weeks to get in to your system , so you will still feel anxious for a while yet . Try keep your self busy and active and if you feel anxious do some thing ie a cross word , or a nice walk anything to distract yourself. It also needs you to fight it and not let it win .
Good luck
Zoe x