PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here and want to talk to someone

AnxiousEmma
06-04-12, 13:01
Hello. I'm new to this forum, My name is Emma-Jane and I am 18 years old. I searched for a forum to talk to others with anxiety and self-esteem issues and I found this forum. I don't really know where to begin, searching through some of the posts I know my problems are not as bad as some people's but I just want someone to talk too because no one in my life really understands. I have always had low self esteem to start with - being bullied from the age of 9 till 15 it really effected my confidence. I was very good at manipulating the people around me into believing that I didn't have low self esteem, there is a fine line between low self esteem and being an 'attention seeker' and I think I created the impression that I was an attention seeker for some reason - I was that good at pretending I guess.. Anyway, I can keep it under control most of the time and even though i don't feel good about myself I can get on with life - pretending! I have good days and bad days... I had my first panic attack about a year ago, when I was in college. I was really stressed out about the essay I had due in and I was worried about it. When I was sat in the dance studio early in the morning I started to feel really weird and lightheaded, I wasn't talking about the fact I was stressed, I guess I was thinking about it. All of a sudden i couldn't breathe and it terrified me, I started to have a panic attack and my friends couldn't calm me down. Even though I have had a few since then, that was the worst one. Ever since then I'm worried every time I get stressed it will happen again! When i started University, I was worried about the stress levels and I thought it was going to happen again, and it did. I've had about 4 all together and even though they're not in any sort of pattern, I'm worried when the next one will arise. I went to the doctors about the chest pains I was having and she just said, you have anxiety and told me to go to a counsellor. I went the once, but didn't really think it helped at all. I also have Apiphobia, I'm terrified of bees and don't like going out in the summer. Sorry for the long introduction but I needed to get it all off my chest. I'm hoping to get some help here and make some new friends :)

Emma-Jane :)

nomorepanic
06-04-12, 13:03
Hi AnxiousEmma

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

LilyPad1991
06-04-12, 14:45
Hello Emma :)

I was/still am a young sufferer of anxiety so if you want to chat via private message feel free to any time.

Hope you're having a good day today.

Lizzie xx

kittikat
06-04-12, 14:56
:welcome: AnxiousEmma,

I also suffered self esteem issues when younger and have been suffering anx/panic/agg for quite a few years now. It's not easy but there are some lovely supportive people here ready to help you through this. I do hope you find some solace in being amongst other sufferers, people who do understand.

Take care, Kitti :) x

AnxiousEmma
06-04-12, 15:21
Thankyou! I will do Lizzie.. Not really having one of my good days today though :(
I've been invited to a party later and I'm not in the mood to go! Another hour infront of the mirror putting makeup on and taking it off until I'm happy :(

I'm not the only one it seems, people who don't suffer from anxiety and self esteem issues don't understand, they try but they can't! Does anyone else feel this way?

I know I'm going to meet some great friends here :)

Emma-Jane