PDA

View Full Version : My story

Juliet
10-09-03, 17:16
Hello everyone,
This is the first time I have been in a chat room EVER.Im not exactly a whiz on the pc,so hope my text does not offend any of you computer genius types.

I have been having problems with panic attacks for abou 2 years on and off to the point where i had to leave my job.I had a good career in nursing,but the nhs is definatly not the place to work if you are anxious or need to avoid stress!!

At first I was misdiagnosed by my gp,who thought my symptoms were related to a heart problem.I expect several of you can relate to this scenario?This made me more anxious and thinking up many weird and wonderful diseases i could have(medical knowledge clearly a disadvantage).Anyway i was eventually told that there was nothing wrong with me and started on antideprssants,although I think i was only depressed because my life had been put on hold,through basically "being scared of everything"!!I got to the stage where I couldnt go out AT ALL.I didnt want to see friends or relatives,and was convinced i would faint all the time.

However,with a combination of relaxation techniques,positive thinking,medication and bloody mindedness I am getting there.I started going out with family for very short periods and gradually built it up.I flew on holiday this year,and was fine(and I hate flying!!).I still have the odd bad day,but I feel so much more positive these days.I now want to get back to work.I think part of the trick is telling people too.No one thinks you are mad,in fact those who understand think folks like us are incredibly brave.Each day is a battle,but you can succeed.I just wanted to share my story with people who really understand. xx

Meg
10-09-03, 18:25
Dear Juliet,

Your IT skills are great , certainly no cause for any concern there and even if you were not good it simply doesn't matter as you have countless other skills and none of us are good at everything.

Well done for having done so well yourself. Sounds like you're almost there.

Are you mulling over going back to work where you were before ? Would bank or agency be easier to start off with ?

Are you still on anything meds wise ?

You need to really congratulate yourself for doing so well.

Meg

Juliet
10-09-03, 21:40
Thanks for the reply Meg,
What is your story?
I was actually working as a midwife before,but Im thinking of nursing again.I need to do a return to nursing course though first.So,I guess if I can get through that then I will have a better idea of what I am capable of....one step at a time!

Hope I am doing this reply thing right.Im very confused by all this.

nomorepanic
10-09-03, 22:53
Hi Juliet

Your replying technique works and as for the computer skills I would say you are doing marvellous cos not people work out how to post a new topic.

I am so pleased to hear that things are going well for you - it is really nice when that happens and we get to hear about it here.

Keep in touch with us all here and let us know how it goes

Nicola

Meg
11-09-03, 22:04
Hi Juliet,

How are you doing ?

Briefly , my story is that I started panics extremely suddenly but during a run of personal bereavements. 14 in one year, including both Dads and a relationship breakup of 12 years.
I was exhausted - doing 15 hr days , 300/400 miles a day, line managing 38 people and 4 projects but thought I was fine until the day I wasn't.

I had a month off which was virtually wall to wall panic for the first 2 weeks, then started to figure out what was up. GP put me on Prozac which did give me the readybrek glow but as soon as I took myself off it 4 months later , things reverted to not being great- not as bad as previously but not good.

A few months drifted past managing to stay at work but having quite a few limitations- not really changing anything and getting myself in a bad way and then I figured it out by extensive reading and research and now all is virtually Ok again.

I can't remember my last panic attack and although I still get anxiety , it's dealable with. I used to have to get Mum up from Sussex to stay when things were bad as I hated being alone endlessly- last time she came up it was a pre planned visit and we had a ball together. It was such a thrill !

. patience . proactiveness . positivity . persistance .

ali2fly
17-11-03, 21:53
[V]hi, im not good with pc! only just learnt how to turn one on! your story sounds similar, except im cabin crew... who cant fly on my big stage anymore. dont enjoy going out. but still fighting! keep happy mate, your not on your own:)

hello. am suffering very bad anxiety. cant work.used to have job in travel, now not to happy to leave the house. for no apparent reason.

Meg
17-11-03, 23:26
Ali,

Just as you're doing great on the PC , you'll do fine with your anxiety too.

It's all a case of education and practice. Not easy - granted - but doable just the same.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
18-11-03, 00:21
hi ali,

as your a recent victim of panic,it hasent got a ..long term..hold on you,visit your doctor,if you already havent,he/she will probably prescribe short term relief for you,by way of tablets.

all airlines have a great personnel department,explain the problem,and maybe they can put you on short haul flights for you..ie.dublin..europe,etc,just so you can build up your lost confidence.

i dont believe in <flooding>, but i do believe in <gentle flooding>..read all the information available on this site,it will help you.

whatever you decide ali,do it now..not tomorrow,best wishes...bryan.

paradise
08-12-03, 09:47
Hi Juliet, I am a nurse too, was diagnosed panic attack 3 mths ago, it really tears up my life, I can no longer work in my favorite ward as I fear the attack will come again.
Presenrly working in a hospice, which worsens my condition, hope to get contact with u. My e-mail is paradisechionh@yahoo.com.sg

Meg
08-12-03, 10:01
Paradise,

Juliet doesn't log in very regularly so maybe if you want to reach her, you could email her through the site.

Click on her name and then on 'click to send email'.

What have you done in the last months to help your condition ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Juliet
12-12-03, 15:39
Hi there,
Havent logged on in a while as my pc was down.My boyfriend was "fixing it"....MEN!!!

Hi to paradise.I read your story and it sounded all too familiar!!Its amazing how many nurses suffer with anxiety and panics,but not surprising really I suppose considering the job we do.

Im getting there now I think,but I still cross my fingers when I say that.I havent had a "proper" panic attack in ages now,but I still feel some anxiety in some situations,and worry that I will have an attack.It is certainly dealable now though.

I dont really know what advise I can offer you as different things work for different people.I can only tell you what helped me.

I found that letting people know I had a problem helped me,as it immediatly took some of the anxiety away.Most people are very sympathetic when you explain how you feel.Those that arent are not worth worrying about anyway.

Secondly,I went to my gp and took cipromil for a while.

I also practced regular relaxation and cut out caffiene.

But,I have to say the only way I have got to the stage that I am at now was by facing my fears.I realised my world was getting smaller,as I became scared of everything.So I put myself in the situations that scared me,Shopping for example....standing in ques.It was horrible at first,but once you realise that you didnt die in that situation and nothing awful happened the fear subsides and you can move up to the next scary thing.Bloody mindedness is a must for this!

I had to widen my fear zone a bit a few weeks ago and go for an interview for a job.I very nearly didnt go!!Felt like getting into bed and pulling the covers over my head...but it was just nerves.I survived the interview and have been for another one since.I have now got a job with an agency and start in a few weeks...another challenge.

I hope this helps you.Good luck!!

Let us know how you are going xxxx

nomorepanic
13-12-03, 19:48
Hi Juliet

You are very right about the way to cure yourself - just keeping doing it and face the fear. You are doing so well.

Good luck with the new job too.

Nicola