PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

emma chant
01-07-06, 19:53
HI,
My chest really tight with some pains.
Have been abit stressed out,is that why?
x

e chant

nomorepanic
01-07-06, 20:04
Very common .....

Heart palpitations/chest pains

One of the most worrying symptoms is chest pains or a tight feeling in your chest. The immediate thought is "heart attack" or "stroke" and this only worries you more. You may also notice that your heartbeat is incredibly fast or irregular at times having palpitations and again this leads to the worry that you will have a heart attack. There is no evidence that Panic and anxiety has any adverse effect on the heart and the pains are easily explained.

When you start panicking the whole of your body becomes tense and this includes your muscles.
The chest pains you experience are due to the constricting of the chest wall muscles and the muscles between your ribs and not due to any actual muscles in your heart and the best cure is to start stretching these muscles gently to relieve the pain. Although you may not feel like doing any exercise whilst getting these pains, try stretching your arms above and behind your head, out to the sides and bending over gently to relieve the pain.

Naturally most people are dreadfully worried about their hearts but if your G.P. has given you the all clear cardiac wise - then do not be alarmed if the chest pains and palpitations come back and last for more than a day. If is related to panic, although it is painful and worrying, the pains will subside if you try gentle exercise and ignore them.

Nicola

emma chant
02-07-06, 12:27
Hi Nicola,
Thanks for the reassuring post, it's made me feel better reading it.
I havn't got pains today or tightness.
xx

e chant

Karen
02-07-06, 14:18
Glad you are feeling better Emma.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey