PDA

View Full Version : New here and need to talk

Hypo
07-04-12, 10:14
Health anxiety isn't new to me. In my head over the years I've had every cancer and disease you can think of.

I am currently very unwell. It started with what I thought was mouth cancer and then throat cancer. I kept thinking I had things stuck. I went to the doctors who said they weren't even slightly concerned and everything points to panic and reflux. She checked for lumps and looked down my throat.

Now I have developed a constant feeling of something being stuck in my chest. I take gaviscon and sometimes it helps but mostly not. I don't know what is real anymore and what isn't. Today I feel like I can't swallow.

I'm scared to eat and I've lost 5 pounds in two weeks.

This morning I started worrying about cervical cancer so I keep checking my toilet paper and peeing as much as possible just so I can check.

My chest feels horrible. I haven't eaten this morning and I still feel something is in my chest.

I go back to my doctor on Thursday to discuss increasing my meds. But I'm pretty sure I'm dying.

agnes
07-04-12, 11:10
Aww, bless you...I can relate so well to what you are saying. Your fear is feeding itself and then it appears to escalate the physical symptoms.

In the past few days, I too have been worrying about a long standing cough and I know what I'm doing to myself as I'm now feeling quite anxious.

I had the swallowing problem and I lost loads of weight because I was scared of choking. Okay, so I don't have it at the moment, but it's very real when I do.

I'm glad that you're in contact with your GP and I hope s/he is supportive.

You are not alone in all this, I promise :hugs:

Stormsky
07-04-12, 11:16
Hi and welcome.
You know you arent dying...like you say youve imagined all sorts of the years, and your still here...
Definately get to GP, you need to get something sorted, you cant waste your life like this.

Hypo
07-04-12, 17:13
Thank you. Usually I am quite well, I don't know what set me downhill again. I am also diagnosed with OCD so the not checking things is torture.

My husband managed to drag me out today for dinner and the lump in my chest went as soon as I ate a proper meal. It is coming back a little now that I just had a panic attack.

I got home, took a nap then went to the loo. Then I thought I spotted blood on the tissue and came down panicking to my husband. I kept inspecting it but then couldn't find it so I'm assuming it was in my head as I doubt blood would just disappear. Sorry for the too much information. I was convinced that it was blood and my husband checked (bless his heart) and said there was nothing there.

I just want to be better again. Prozac has helped me in the past, but it takes a while to kick in. I wake up forgetting that I feel awful then it's a huge jolt to reality when I remember I have to spend another day like this.