PDA

View Full Version : Ignorant people.

soulcrosses
08-04-12, 04:03
I never said anything for a very long time.
Still, very, very few people are aware of my struggles.
I have been brought up in a household that dismisses the idea of mental illness completely, which has made everything so much harder.
My brain controls every movement my body makes. If it goes wrong, it can paralyze these connections permanently. Yet, as soon as somebody claims that a part of their brain has gone wrong that controls your disposition.
That's just ludicrous. It really upsets me. If someone broke their arm, people are sympathetic. I'm not asking for sympathy. In fact, I don't want it. But mental illness seems so taboo in society.

So, I ask you all; how do you deal with these sorts of people?

rock chick
08-04-12, 04:31
Yes mental illness still has a big stigma in many societies. If someone had a broken arm it's physically obvious & something most people feel could happen to them. When it comes to mental illness it's got a lot to do with the mind, some people see it as a weakness, that it's the persons fault &/or wouldn't happen to them because they're normal and not a freak (totally not saying people with mental illnesses are, just how some people view us).
Depression is getting better acceptance, although perhaps that's because so many more people are coming forward and admitting they have it or have had it.

How do I handle those ignorant people in terms of mental illness? Well sometimes I get angry, not overly helpful but you know how emotions can get. Mostly I just don't bother with them much, if they don't want to understand or believe you have a mental illness or downplay it then it's like trying to talk to brick wall! I'm not saying don't bother with your family but more don't let them make you feel worse, if they don't want to be helpful to you I'm very sorry, it's horrible not to have a supportive family but in the end you can't change them if they don't want to listen.

Surround yourself when you're really low and want to talk with people who do & as I said don't allow negative comments to make you feel worse, no easy I know too well.

I don't know much about your situation, nor have a family that dismisses my problems like you've described so it's kind of hard to give advice.

LAURA48
08-04-12, 08:49
Totally agree with your rockchick - I don't bother talking to people who haven't a clue.

I am off work with anxiety/depression at the moment - and there are a few there who "try" to understand, but have not been through it and I respect that. It's the ignorant people giving advice, eg,

Go for a nice long walk that always lifts my spirits.

A good tonic?

Go out for a nice meal

Book a holiday in a lovely hotel - last bloody thing I want to do with any of the both - nothing gives me pleasure! Have trouble getting through each day.

Do you know what I mean!

Be like us telling someone with a broken leg to book a skiing holiday!

Laura x

---------- Post added at 08:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

sorry spellings a bit iffy this am not quite woken up!

joy
08-04-12, 08:56
Thats the stupid things my crisis team tells me. If only I could

Joy

LAURA48
08-04-12, 09:01
I know Joy - the Crisis Team - well says it all - did you know I was offered an appoint in June to see a psychiatric nurse! I mean - have put a complaint in.

Hope you have a better day - are you going to church?

ems73
08-04-12, 11:46
I totally agree.
However, I do think it's really hard to understand if you haven't experienced it. Think back to before you suffered, I had no idea about how people with these sort of problems felt and I probably wouldn't have understood at all.
I think things are improving. Ruby Wax is doing her bit, have you seen her site Black Dog Tribe, she's making steps to stop the stigma.
Also my mum works for the NHS and apparently the only area getting increased investment is mental health as they are recognising it as an increasing problem.
My doctor tried to send me to a psychiatrist as well. They're not trained to deal with it properly.
All we can do is be open, honest and unashamed.
Having said that, work is another matter. I need to be careful not to lose my job so I'll continue making excuses and pretending to have other illnesses if I'm too unwell to work. Can't risk it.

MrRedShirt
08-04-12, 11:52
Completely agree with Laura about the advice people give. It's INCREDIBLY frustrating! But to be fair to them, if they haven't experienced it themselves, it's difficult for them to see how futile their suggestions are.

The net result, though, is I feel worse that 'going for a nice walk' won't work.. IF ONLY IT WOULD.. I''d LOVE to just go out and enjoy the fresh air like I used to.

So yes, maybe just steer clear of people that you know don't 'get it'. Or be prepared to put up with their attitudes and let their words wash over you like water off a duck's back.

joy
08-04-12, 13:16
Yes Laura been to church and was on coffee duty which was a bit or an ordeal but I did it.

How are you today

Love Joy

LAURA48
08-04-12, 13:43
Hi Joy - well could be much better - seems like groundhog day at the moment! Am at home at the moment - not at my parents - husband at work just me and the pup! I felt I needed to be on my own - strange as I normally cannot be without my mum at the moment.

Will just be glad when I see that Dr. - I feel a complete mess at the moment - just had a bath - and in my dressing gown!! laying on the sofa - oh and eating some Lindt!

Glad you managed church too - at least you are trying Joy - well done.

london
08-04-12, 15:26
i think some fear it knowing it can happen to them , so thay shut it out
other are just ignorant , just blank them ones
god bless