PDA

View Full Version : Taurine.

erin31
08-04-12, 09:50
Hi. Does anyone have any experience with Taurine?
Since coming off effexor I have been taking 5 htp and magnesium. I have read that the easiest magnesium for the body to absorb is Magnesium Taurate but as I have had difficulty obtaining this I instead brought magnesium citrate and yesterday purchased Taurine to take with it.
I started taking Taurine with my lunch time dose of Magnesium yesterday and noticed within a couple of hours that my mood was better. Yes the anxiety was still there but it did not bother me so much and I found myself forgetting about it. Now this could be the placebo effect but I took Taurine to help me absorb magnesium better and did not expect it to have much difference on my mood.
This morning I awoke as usual with terrble anxiety and took Taurine along with 5 htp and Magnesium. Again withing a couple of hours I find myself a lot calmer. Yes the anxiety is bubbling away but it does not effect me in the same way as it usually does.
Does anyone else take this and if so what dose do you take?

PanchoGoz
08-04-12, 10:57
Tourine? That's what's in energy drinks isn't it?!

erin31
08-04-12, 11:15
Yes it is.
I have been researching on the internet and there is quite a lot of conflicting information about it. What I do know is that the first few doses have made me feel calmer. Of course this may not continue. I am also unsure of what dose I should be taking for best effect.

PanchoGoz
08-04-12, 22:07
I would ask a pharmasist or doctor about that one. You need professional guidence on which supplements and how to take them together, especially if there are conflicting views on it on the internet. It's not something I've heard of as a supplement before.

eight days a week
09-04-12, 00:21
It's tricky I think when you start to take different supplements at the same time to know what is doing what (but, I am very glad to hear something is helping you to feel better, of course :yesyes:).

From my own research magnesium is hard for the body to absorb in diet or by supplement, and the best way is through a bath with magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts). I started a thread on it here. It deeply relaxes me and makes me feel like I am glowing for at least a day. This may be something you'd like to look into (?)

I would ask a pharmasist or doctor about that one. You need professional guidence on which supplements and how to take them together, especially if there are conflicting views on it on the internet. It's not something I've heard of as a supplement before.

Pharmacists and doctors are the very last people I would ask, personally, based on my own experiences over seven+ years. They seem to have little interest generally, and struggle to keep up with the latest research into medicines they directly prescribe, let alone anything else (I think they are too busy working - admittedly very - hard at their NHS quotas to make sure they earn their £150,000+ a year).

I would rather recommend speaking to a complementary medicine adviser in a reputable health food shop. They have both the knowledge and (if you find a good one) years upon years of experience of what works for their customers and what doesn't. These are the people to go to, for me.

Good luck, and please keep us updated :)

---------- Post added at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was at 00:16 ----------

P.S. Also look at Lysine - a good friend had miraculous results with it :)

xhyperyogix
09-04-12, 22:46
i have heard taurine is in energy drinks to stop the caffine jittery effects. i.e. yes it should be calming. never had it tho. i do take 'magnesium ok' and i think that helps xxxx

vitamins
05-07-16, 07:40
taurine can be a good amino acid to relieve anxiety