PDA

View Full Version : Allergic reaction after every food fear :(

xJust_Sarahx
10-04-12, 12:51
Hi
i really dont know how much more i can take to be honest, after eating anything i am scared im going to have an allergic reaction and die. The thing is after i eat my throat feels tight and i worry that im going to not be able to breathe and then i get a numbing sensation in my cheeks and lips and it feels like they have swollen even though they dont look it. im really at the point where i dont know what to do because before i eat im thinking along the lines of "i might have an allergic reaction, i could of developed an allergy to this" therefore i tend not to eat it.

im really really drained, i should be eating more than ever now because i just came out of hospital on friday after having a section, and i went for days without eating, just drank the tea they supplied etc and now i feel weaker than ever and obviously sore from the operation. But my constant fear is my breathing. Its all i think about 24/7. I feel like i have a constant struggle to breathe and eating and allergies etc panics me more.

In the past i have never had an allergic reaction to anything, but over the years i fear that i have managed to delvelope some, so i stop eating my fav foods, i cant eat chocolate as a treat cos it says may contain nuts and stuff etc.
Does anyone feel the same? and does anyone know if u can just develope allergies to things that u never used to have them with.

In the past back in my happier days i used to eat anythingm i used to love peanut m&ms or fruit and nut bar etc. Now the thought of having them terrifies me. Thanks

Danii
10-04-12, 23:48
I think we are long lost twins.

I used to eat everything too, fish, nuts, anything. Slowly I became afraid of allergic reactions developing, I stopped eating nuts, then fish, then different fruits, and now I'm phasing out red meat. I, like you, have never been allergic to anything, nor are my parents, I've never even had hives in mny adult life.

I don't know what advice to give to you though. I had this when I was 18, it lasted for a solid 5 months, I lost so much weight. Then one day, honestly, it mostly just vanished. I say mostly like, my favorite food is sushi, and I'd order it, then kinda say uh oh, what if I'm allergic, then it'd kind of leave my mind and I'd enjoy my food.

Now I'm 24 and its been back. I try each day to eat a new food in a "safe" place (I sometimes park outside the emergency room). It's scary thinking reactions could occur at any time but these things relax me : usually if youre going to become allergic, you start out with hives or some other reaction, people dont always die from these reactions. Try carrying benedryl or some other antihistamine, just in case, it makes me feel like I always have a back up just in case.*hugs*

Amysunshine
11-04-12, 00:00
you really must realise that surely the chances of you having a reaction are the same as you catching any other disease or illness. there are probably lots of stats saying you are 10x more likely to contract so and so then develop an allergy. if you get what im trying to say, you could develop anything tomorrow... so we cant live in fear of what we may develop (i know that this is far easier said than done)

Have you ever had an allergy test? Ive had one before and they tested everything - (it was when i was younger to determine skin reactions) this may give you piece of mind?
i know where you are coming from with breathing. I like to think i have overcome it now because i grew tired of always thinking about my breathing. Like literally i thougth about it so much that i forgot what it was like to breathe naturally and i couldnt bring myself to breathe naturally,i felt like i was thinking about and forcing every breath in and out. i dont know how i got out of it, like i say, i just grew tired of feeling like i couldnt breathe so i said to myself enough is enough and anytime the feeling came to me i said NO and stretched out and focused on something else. dont know if this is similar to you. xx

jo_jo
17-04-12, 22:53
I can really relate to you,I always think im going to take an allergic reaction,its what causes my panic attacks!I was prescribed antibiotics by my doctor yesterday for a chest infection and cant bring myself to take them as Im afraid of having an allergic reaction,even though ive taken them before!I know im being stupid but panic outweighs logical everytime!

Feeling pretty anxious today as I have the cold aswell!I always carry a packet of benedryl in my handbag as a kind of safety net!!

Your not alone!xx

petargh
16-07-12, 02:25
I am exactly the same :( I was fine while on anxiety medication (still wouldn't eat nuts though) and could eat but now I'm off them it's so much worse, every time i eat no matter WHAT it is, I have major panic attacks and think i'm having a reaction :(

sallad
22-07-12, 06:44
I am exactly the same only I actually had an attack a year ago. I ate a veggie burger and then my tongue started to swell. I ended up in emergency. I had a lot of testing done but they could never totally figure it out so I have a real reason but I take it to the extreme and even if the food is something I had before and was fine, I still freak and get the breathing issue you mention. You are not alone in other words. I carry an epipen and medication just in case. i also worry every time I take a medication like others have said. I would love to know how to shut it all down and just be, but for those of us, like you, who are over sensitive to everything, that doesn't seem possible. Just know I, and others, are out here too, equally freaked out. Hugs, :)

Cats make it better
17-08-12, 13:32
Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one who felt this way! It is so comforting to find other people who also have this issue. My fear of a reaction though is mostly to the top 8 allergens. I am intollerant to gluten, soy and dairy, so I already have to avoid those foods. I don't think i have ever had an allergic reaction where my throat swells up, but I always feel like it is! A few times, I did feel like my throat was going to swell strait shut, but I imagine this was just a panic attack about something unrelated and I just happened to be eating at the time. So now I am not eating gluten, soy, dairy (those ones are real), peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, etc. I am terrified to eat any new foods. If it is a food that I have eaten many times, I don't have the same level of anxiety about it.

The thing is, I went to a therapist about it, and she told me it wasn't a big deal and I didn't need to deal with that anxiety issue. Sheesh. On the search for a new therapist now. I am also in the process of gettng an appointment with an allergist so that I can be tested for all the allergens and put my mind at ease. It would def. help my husband feel better if I would starting eating more foods again. He gets very upset with me for not being willing to eat them. :blush:

iloverabs
17-08-12, 14:09
I wonīt eat shellfish, even though Iīm not allergic. I am usually apprehensive about new foods. I went years without eating nuts either, then had some therapy for that, a few glasses of wine and a packet of peanuts later I confirmed the fear was in my head and now I eat nuts again all the time. I havenīt eaten shellfish for years, but I might follow the same tactic to conquer that. My plan B is to eat a bag of prawns outside A&E to prove to myself I am not suddenly allergic.

I am also afraid of new mouthwashes, medications, skin creams and shampoos etc. In case I am allergic. Again, with no history of being so. I donīt let the fears beat me, and will eventually use these products, but will only do it if I have someone in the house with me, it is the morning, and if I am in a calm state of mind.

Itīs just the fear of anything that gets into your mind, then you avoid it, so the fear becomes bigger.

I have a long list of things I have built phobias up on, being afraid of things became a habit for me - and itīs comforting to come on here and see the first people I have ever come accross who have had the same fears as me.

you can get over them though!

twiztid.jessi
10-04-13, 16:47
i have this same problem unfortunately i have no idea how 2 overcome it im actually afraid im going 2 die because of it i went from 193 pounds to 119 pounds in less then 8 months i have 2 force myself 2 eat (on the days that i actually do eat) right now the only thing i can convince myself 2 eat is a cheeseburger i dont know what 2 do about it but im glad im not alone i been looking for ppl whos dealing with the same thing because honestly i felt like it was just me......it doesnt help that i have 4 kids and am afraid im going 2 die and leave them alone even though if i dont eat im going 2 die anyways ugh just wish i knew what 2 do i wish we all knew what 2 do

Sazziesaz
13-04-13, 09:09
Omg I am so happy to hear I am not alone!!! I had cbt for this and the only way to attempt to conquer it is to make yourself eat whatever you are afraid of and work through the panic attack! It is really hard to do, I had to sit with the consultant and eat some nuts, I had a full blown panic attack but my throat/tongue/lips didn't swell up and after a few more attempts I believed I could eat nuts! Now I am not cured it is a work in progress but it makes me feel better knowing I know the technique to conquer it! I still struggle especially when feeling low, trying new foods or having medication like antibiotics etc but at least I have the knowledge of how to try to not let it control me x

bab
13-04-13, 09:18
Im the same - im slightly better than i used to be but i still carry piriton in my bag just in case x

barbiejen
13-06-14, 00:40
Hi I am new to this and thought id give it a try. I am a 25 year old female and for 10 years I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks. Through the years mine have changed it went from fear of doing toilet in public places then it was agoraphobia and I didnt leave the house for 5 years. It took its toll as I was just a teenager and couldnt live. It settled down for a couple of years and I felt like I could live again I was on medication at this time which really helped. So the beginning of the year I thought im ready to come off this medication so I stopped it for about 2 weeks and suddenly it all came flooding back. I am now worse than ever I never go out and think about it constantly, I have also developed a new fear of everything I hate using soap or certain make ups and I hate to eat as I always think im goig to have an allergic reaction. Everytime I drink or eat I think oh no my throat is closing. It is the most worst feeling ever. My partner does not understand one bit he thinks I am nuts!! I wish he could understand my general fear of all of these things. Ive been back to doctor he gave me anti depresants but I cant take them I have a general fear of a reaction. Im trying to train my brain into positive thinking but it is not working I used to be the happiest person as a child I just feel as if my life is meaningless now as I live in constant fear. I just need someone to talk to who understands what I am going through. Thanks.x

Earthmum
26-10-14, 08:03
I just sniggered to my self ,absolutely unreal, it's almost as if we are all the same person, I thought I was the only one that did the parking outside of A&E thing just incase something happened to me :/
I could never tell anyone this as people would completely think I am nuts!
My hubby has just made a beautiful prawn and fish curry and I'm sitting here worrying myself, I'm scared of having a reaction ! why can't I just look forward to this meal and enjoy it with my family rather than sweating and trembling and going onto no more panic looking for reassurance ... Sooo tiring !!!!
Healing thoughts guys !

Magic
26-10-14, 10:14
This sounds silly, but I will tell you. I am allergic to broad beans:blush:.
They were my favourite veg as I have eaten them when I was younger.
I could not work it out at first, but it was them that were the culprit.
I itched all over. my hands and body, with red blotches.
Also I have been stung by a drone on my neck one summer not long ago.
Luckerly my neighbour who is ex nurse took me to the doctors.
Because my breathing was not affecting me I was ok. Just the hives and itching
took it ages to get back to normal.
I always have the antihistamine in the house and handbag.
I am ok with other foods and I don't panic about it now, as long as I have
the tablets with me.
A lady who lives up the road has kept horses for many years.
Suddenly she has a allergic reaction to them?????:huh: xx

ashleyshalei
18-11-15, 07:57
When I read that someone said they try foods in a "safe place" like an ER parking lot. I immediately felt as if I were in like company. I'm 30, generally healthy. I started developing allergies in my mid 20s and they kept adding more unsafe foods, environments, etc that I am allergic to. I have had 3 anaphylaxis' 1 that keoy me hospitalized. Because of those reactions and remembering the feeling I had when having those reactions I am terrified of everything. I don't eat out my food selection is limited, even the smell of known allergens in goods causes anxiety for me. Which is also new to me. I've never been anxious or experienced anxiety until a few weeks after my last reaction. I have lost 38 lbs in 4 months, I'm constantly tired, I have an epi-kit with benadryl, and pepcid on hand always. I take benadryl before every meal. I'm a nurse and u rationalize my fear. But I myself driving to ER parking lots to have a meal and fighting back my panic for 20-45min in the parking lot convincing myself not to go it. If I cough once or have a tickle in my throat more benadryl. I have had reactions before and have been treated with steroids and epi, but I believe everything will cause a new one. I don't know how to move forward without fear. Last night I asked a friend to cone with me somewhere and I meeant store she said yes. I asked her don't you wanna know where before you say yes? She replied well prob to the ER because something got into your bubble (she teases me that I'm bubble girl) and you are thinking you are going to die.
I too avoid thing I'm not even allergic to. I stay away from restaurants or eating out. I don't even trust my own cooking. My kids know how to give an epi pen and if I cough they say mom do you want your benadryl. Its sad and hard. I feel very alone. I feel very afraid of having another anaphylactic reaction.

GingerFish
18-11-15, 10:15
I've got this too. Doctors said it was my OCD as I have contamination fears about poisons and drugs, especially on my food. After I eat, even if its something I've ate a million times in the past, I sit in panic for 5 mins to see if I take a severe reaction and when I don't, I still sit in panic for a few hours in case I have been poisoned in some way even though I know I haven't. Its just an intrusive thought I can't get rid of.

GadGirl
18-11-15, 10:43
I am the exact same, I stopped eating loads of things I ate 2 bags of cashew nuts one day and ended up with orange oil in my stools - caused by consuming too much fat im guessing but since then iv convinced myself im allergic to nuts,fish and medications I ended up in hospital with a really high temperature and got given paracetamol and saline through IV ( while during a massive panic attack) and got myself so worked up I thought I was going to die cause of an allergic reaction. I hate Anxiety for what it makes you think :(

msleira
21-06-17, 05:51
I see that this thread is very old but hopefully you'll still respond. i am having the exact same thing happen with me. I had eaten shellfish my whole then when i got older i developed an allergy to it where i feel my throat getting tight. so i recently ate boston which sells no seafood and i felt my throat tightening like 10 minutes later. Im so confused now because every day I'm eating less and less because i have this bad anxiety and i think like " what if I'm allergic and my throat closes and die" smh. It has literally consumed my life to the point i don't want to go out to any restaurants or go anywhere because i think ill have a reaction. I never use to be like this but I can barely sleep and it won't go away. i went to the ent doc and they checked my throat and it is fine and i now have an epi pen but my throat is still sore and feels like its closing every time i try to eat and i run to the er just for them to tell me I'm fine. pleaseeeeee help me , what happen what did you end up doing. did you get over it??????? thank you i hope you can respond.

SHB92
06-10-17, 13:35
I know that you posted this years ago but what did you to do to overcome this? Because everything you have described is exactly what I do and how I feel and it is driving me crazy! I've been like this for about 3months now and it seems to be getting worse over time x

katie92
11-05-18, 15:18
Omg I can’t belive what I’ve just read I thought I was like only person well in my town anyways I worry and worry about everything make sure if I want try something eat somewhere safe I’m trying to get in my mind if I had reaction that it would happen as soon as because normally it does it’s horrible but it’s very rare thing to become allergic I’m trying think positive but more I think more it’s gets worse anyone had any help to solve the problem xx

MollyMillie
29-05-18, 02:30
Oh wow I can't believe I'm not the only person dealing with this!
I'm seriously allergic to nuts and have been since I was a child, I also have horrendous anxiety, OCD and depression but last year I became absolutely TERRIFIED of food and lost 3 stone in about 8 weeks and I'm still struggling so badly, it's not just food I'm terrified of, it's hair products, shower and bath products, make up, perfume, if it's got an ingredient I'm scared and it's truly ruining my life. It's ruining my relationships, I used to LOVE cats and now I'm terrified to touch them incase they have nuts or nut traces on them from rolling round outside, seriously wtf is that !?
I have a beautiful little girl who unfortunately is possibly going to share the nut allergies with me and I don't want her to grow up with a mother who can't eat anything, go barely anywhere or do barely anything and constantly wipes everything around her and spends the majority of her time washing her hands ! It's all to much and I just don't know how to combat this, I noticed this thread is very old so I just wanted to reach out and ask if anyone who shares or shared the same phobia as me with allergies managed to get better from there anxiety ? How did you do it? Any help would be extremely fearfully received.
No one understands how horrendous an anaphylactic reaction is unless they've had one so getting people to be kind and supportive of my fear is extremely hard work, I'm fairly certain my boyfriend and family hate me because of my anxiety and how it affects them too.
Xx