PDA

View Full Version : Driving and Panic Attacks

iturner
10-04-12, 20:17
Is anyone out there that has a hard time driving due to having panic attacks while driving??? This is such a huge issue for me and I hoping someone can advice on how they overcome this issue and get driving again. I am wanting to quit completely, but can't, need to get to work....

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Anyone there??

kittikat
10-04-12, 20:29
Hi iturner,

I have terrible problems with this....can manage around 2 miles max if I am alone and sometimes find this very challenging (I have this need to be very close to home) if I am with a trusted friend or family member I can venture a little further. It's a tough call...please don't give up completley or you are just letting the anxiety and panics win. Maybe just go as far as you feel comfortable and then go a little further next time etc, etc. Take someone along with you for moral support if you think that will help. I also have to get to work but it's just a short journey and I can manage it and I have recently started CBT which I am hoping will help me overcome my fear or at least extend my comfort zone so I can go further.

Wish you lots of luck, don't give up!!
Kitti :)

iturner
10-04-12, 20:37
Thank you for the post, I am the same way, I can go short distances up to a couple miles, but after that I start panicing the further from home I get!!! I hate this. I have even thought of changing jobs, but can't afford to do that right now, have 2 kids to support.....I do have a friend at work that drives with me sometimes, in this case I am just fine when she is there. I have not told her my issue and am scared to tell her!

kittikat
10-04-12, 20:56
Ahh, bless you, it is embarrasssing telling other people. You do feel such a fool and mostly others don't really understand our irrational anxieties.

My actual job involves driving to visit clients, but I have had to stop doing this as it was getting harder and harder and caused me to have a breakdown worrying about it and making up stupid excuses as to why I was spending so much time in the office. I think most people know now, and I just think 'what the heck, this is me, sorry'. The Occupational Health said I was not to do the outbound work at present as it was causing me so much anxiety. So now I worry I may lose my job if I cannot continue to perform to a satisfactory level....they have had to recruit an agency person to take over that part of my job at present, but I just can't see anything changing in the near future. I am trying so hard...such a vicious circle of worry.....

Tell someone, once it's done you'll feel so much better and they can help you in your recovery. Best of luck.
:) Kitti x

iturner
10-04-12, 21:02
Exactly!!! I am scared of loosing my job everyday!! That is what I think causes me the enxiety. It is a horrible, maybe someday it will be better, it has to. I only need to get to work and home, no driving during the day fortunetly :)

kittikat
10-04-12, 21:23
Here's hoping eh?.....ever the optimist here lol :D

Take care xx

iturner
10-04-12, 21:28
you as well thank you for chatting

kittikat
10-04-12, 21:36
Ok hun....no problem. Let me know how you are getting on and we'll compare notes :) Feel free to PM me anytime if you need some moral support or just a moan lol x

quickman
10-04-12, 22:20
Hi Turner

Have you ever had any bad experiences that triggered this, like a crash or more likely, a near-miss or watching a near-miss? I'm just curious, that's all.

As for me, I'm 26 and having had 2 years of panic attacks and anxiety. I started driving lessons in February - but for some reason when doing the driving, I'm actually well focused.

Kitti, sorry to hear that you're in the precarious position - the pressure/anxiety of being laid off surely cannot be helping :(

kittikat
10-04-12, 22:27
Thanks quickman....I was involved in a bad car accident many years ago as a passenger, car overturned on a country lane and landed on roof....luckily all ok but very frightening experience. Never thought about that before....must mention it to my CBT therapist....could be something in it so thanks for that :)

honeyb
12-04-12, 08:40
I have a lot of mine whilst driving, especially on my own, because i start to think what if i have one and crash the car. Don't give up though because you can't let this beat you! Many times i've nearly turned round and gone home, but i need to work and am determined not to let this beat me. I just put music on and sing, carry cold water with me because tends to slow your breathing down when you are having a panic attack or pull over and phone someone for a chat. Hope this helps.

nomorepanic
12-04-12, 18:46
moved to the panic forum for you

jojo79
12-04-12, 19:13
Hi all...I had a panic attack whilst driving once and it took me a long time to face driving again. But I did...I always have a bottle of water to hand and a packet of mints.

Take care

Jo :)

edesylily
19-04-12, 08:09
Hello, i'm new here. i suffer from exactly the same problem! i'm so pleased that i'm not alone in this! i started getting them when i passed my driving test. i was worried if it drive ok somewhere on my own. would i stall the car? would i park ok? it just got gradually worse. now its distance mainly. or if im on the motorway and no i can't get off till the next junction (not that i need to!) i have a panic attack. It even stopped me going on honeymoon and i knew then i really need help. How are you coping with it? is it getting any easier?

Kitty witty
20-04-12, 08:15
Hi turner,
I have recently started to have panick attacks about getting in the car whilst driving, I just couldn't get in the car, then my friend asked me to pick her up so I took this as a challenge and what I did was plug my ear phone into the phone and rang her and spoke to her all the way there, it wasn't a very long journey but my panic subsided very quickly just by being distracted and comforted by having a human to talk to, it really got me back in the car. Going to try again today. Good luck with your panics, I have found that calling someone not only distracts you but comforts you as well x