PDA

View Full Version : I'll take a Panic Attack and Large fries to go

Laugh4Me
11-04-12, 05:41
I have to travel tomorrow to a distance out of my comfort zone. I am up late anticipating the journey. I know this is what I should NOT be doing. I just need some fail proof advice on how to get through the attack i'm going to have, because it's going to be a long one.

RavenLight
11-04-12, 06:49
i feel ya. it's a tough one. your anticipation of it is what is probably going to bring it on. as you probably know. i recently went on a two day train ride from seattle to los angeles and got to enjoy a lovely time of panic for about 4 hours. but, we don't have to have them.
i usually try to get to the root thought that is causing the panic. once i reach that i can usually get the physical symptoms to subside. or, sometimes i have to go the other route and run through the list of physical sypmtoms i'm having and remind myself of what is causing them. tension in my back and neck usually trigger my lightheadedness as well as various pains, shallow breathing also aids in the lightheaded/dizzy feelings. palps? i relax my belly and do deep breathing. and remind myself over and over that i've been through this before and nothing terrible happened. it's panic and it's me thinking a certain way and i'm ok.
i've also been able to look through this site on my phone and that can help remind me that i'm ok.
and you are ok, too. and you will be ok. you can always stop the trip if you want to. you can always change your mind. and you are not alone.
i hope some of this helps a bit. i'm going through my own share of anxiety and panic because of a separation and it feels like hell. but, i'm taking my advice and finding that the panic and anxiety aren't getting the best of me. just parts of me.
grab a copy of claire weekes' "hope and help for your nerves" if you haven't already. i like having this little paperback handy.
good luck to you and we're here if you need us.
you are ok.

paula lynne
11-04-12, 10:06
I bet you will do better than you think.:)
If you expect a panic attack, it wont let you down, it will come.....
Agree with previous post, read Dr Claire Weekes, its a totally amazing book.

Well done for trying to step out of the comfort zone. Its certainly not a comfortable experience, but everytime we do it, we take back a bit of control and our anxiety lessens. Good luck, keep trying!

Paula x:D

My favourite Dr Claire Weekes quote....." So WHAT if my hands shake, they are STILL good hands to use!"....x

Michael45
11-04-12, 13:59
I hope you had an uneventful trip.
Earphones and an mp3 player(tape player, small radio tuned to a nice station). Some kind of music you find soothing or relaxing.
I travel regularly and I think this is my main tool to stave off anxiety and panic attacks for me. It isn't 100% but it does help. I hope it helps you.
:winks: Regards, Michael45

kittikat
11-04-12, 18:18
I too have big issues travelling outside my comfort zone but find that if I have a trusted companion with me it reduces my anxiety immensely. Could this be an option for you? I also I agree with all of the above, think positive thoughts and I'm sure you will be really proud of your achievement!

Good luck, Kitti :)