PDA

View Full Version : New to the site

EnglishChris
11-04-12, 11:11
Hello I am Chris

I have been suffering from anxiety for 12 months now, however I only realised I had anxiety 6 months ago when I became Derealised and Depersonalised. I have only had 5 panic attacks in total but since September last year I have been under the cloud of dp/dr.

I do believe I am coming through it as the dp/dr certainly isnt as strong and only seems to come along when I think about the condition. However a side effect of this symptom of anxiety does still give me distress. I still find myself analysing my actions to check if they seem real/normal, as when I am depersonalised or derealised it all seems fake and I dont really exist. Again this side effect does seem to be fading as there are longer periods before I notice I have not "checked" or thought about my condition.

I think the worst part of this condition is it is very very hard to convince yourself you are getting better.

All the best Chris

nomorepanic
11-04-12, 11:12
Hi EnglishChris

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

MrRedShirt
11-04-12, 11:26
Hello Chris and welcome.

You've come to the right place. I've only been here a week of so, but I've found everyone to be really friendly and helpful.

I know a lot of folk here have dp/dr as a symptom of their anxiety and I know how distressing it can be.

ZD
11-04-12, 12:57
Welcome , Chris
hope you find all the help and support you need here x

Zoe xx

Pipkin
11-04-12, 16:57
Hi Chris and :welcome:

I know a lot of people here experience DP/DR and I'm sure you'll get some excellent support to help you through it.

You don't say in your post but have you discussed this with your GP?

Take care

Pip x

EnglishChris
13-04-12, 11:11
As soon as I realised what I was experiencing 6 months ago I told my GP, and I was referred to a therapist who I have no gone private with as I felt weekly sessions was vital since the NHS could only offer 1-2 a month.

Since then my GP has put me onto 20mg Prozac a day, so a low dose and I use it as a bot of a crutch nothing more, tbh I dont feel any better or worse if I forget to take it.

I have been following a couple of self help programs, At last a Life and Anxiety Busters, both have been helpful getting me through the worst.

I can function perfectly well, but the sense of disconnection and unreality still distresses me, but nowhere near the levels it used to.

What I struggling with is the "checking in" I am almost constantly checking to see if reality or actions feels "right", which is I am sure a large reason as to why I remain feeling disconnected and unreal.