PDA

View Full Version : HowDeeDooDeee

GinGanGhoul
02-07-06, 21:48
Hello.
My name is Peter. I'm originally from Bolton,UK and now live in Wales. I'm not sure if I've joined the correct forum.

I suffer from Chronic Depression(least that's wot the Doctor tells me it is)and have done for nearly 15 years now.

For the last ten years I have been manerging(spelling?), only just mind, to cope with it without using any medication. Unfortunately last week I had a bad episode and have had to go back on them(Zispin).

The problem with going back on them is:- I'm not sure now if I need to keep taking them. I'll try to explain the best I can.

The tablets give me a different side effect each day it seems. One day they can make me drowsy, the next day they seem to shut out everything, noise, thoughts, feelings. Then another day they can make me even more depressed.

I realise it can take time for them to get 'into my system' but I fear they could be causing more problems than they're worth.

How will I tell when I'm better and dont need them anymore if this is how they make feel now?
Sorry this was supposed to be an itroduction. I'll leave it there for now.
Pete

Karen
02-07-06, 22:11
Hi Pete

Welcome to the forum.

The medication can cause some side effects while your body is adjusting to it and it takes several weeks for any benefits to be noticed usually.

Are you having any therapy alongside the medication? Antidepressants can help with the symptoms of depression but the reasons behind it and lifestyle changes are needed for lasting recovery.

I am sure you will find a lot of support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

GinGanGhoul
02-07-06, 22:35
Hi Karen,

No I'm not having any therapy at the moment. I have had councelling(spellchecker needed!) in the past and to tell you the truth it didnt really help.

I'm not saying it doesnt help, just that it didnt help me.

In the end I learned to live with it, and like I said I managed for ten years without any medication.

It was just a real shock to the system when it just jumped up and bit me on the arse recently.

I had coped really well up until then.

Now I dont know if it was just a panic attack or the start of a real bad depression stage as I was a little too quick to get a prescription from my doctor.

Thanks Pete

'SLEEP. Something to do when bored.' (And there lays my problem)

Daisybun
02-07-06, 22:48
Hi Pete, anti-depressants take a little while to get into your system and they can make you feel worse at the start but they do help eventually. I would with karen that there needs to be other therapies as well as meds, meds alone don't teach you how to deal with the things you think etc. and get down to why you feel the way you do etc. Anyway welcome to NMP, you'll find lots of people in similar situations and there's lots of help and support here.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

GinGanGhoul
02-07-06, 23:16
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm surprised how easy it is to actually use these forums. This is my first time using them as an actual member.

Before I get done for trying to keep this post active let me say thankyou to all who reply THANKYOU!

Pete

SLEEP. Something to do when bored. (And there lies my problem)

chucklehound
02-07-06, 23:21
Hi Peter and welcome to NMP:D

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

trac67
02-07-06, 23:54
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

wobily_lin
03-07-06, 03:04
Hey Pete,

A big warm welcome to the site mate. Great support on here and some good advice to.

Take care,

Lin.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

giddy
03-07-06, 07:10
Welcome to the forum Pete
Love Helen

marie ross
03-07-06, 09:00
Hi Pete

Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of help and good friends here.

Take care

Marie XXX

chedda
03-07-06, 09:20
Hia Pete and welcome to the site:D
Im sure you will find lots of help and advice to aid you on to your recovery and im with the other guys on this one medication alone will stop the symptoms but will not stop the underlying problem that is causing it so i think some sort of therapy aswell will help otherwise theres a tendancy to get the symptoms back when you stop taking the medications.Have a chat with your doc and see what other therapy there is available in your area
take care cheryl xx