PDA

View Full Version : Beta blockers as a one-off help?

Natreturns
11-04-12, 15:06
Hi,

I just have a question regarding beta blockers. To give a very brief summary, I get very anxious when going on holiday. There are a number of reasons - I don't like flying as I hate being on something I can't get off, I get anxious that other people may be sick near me, and I worry in case I am ill myself.

In the past I have felt so nauseous on the flight that I can't eat, my throat closes and I just completely panic.

I have had CBT, and human givens therapy, and have got to a stage where I can travel to Europe very comfortably - no anxiety symptoms on the day, and just a few worries in the days before.

On saturday I am going to Australia for 3 weeks. Not only is it the longest I have flown, but it is also the longest I have been away from home (my safe place!). I am a bit tearful already and worried about things and I just wondered whether anyone could recommend beta blockers for this short period?

I know they work for shaking and palpatations, but would they ease the nausea feeling that I can get? This is my main concern as one of my fears is to do with being sick.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

daintydi
11-04-12, 16:17
Hi,
I take propranolol 20mg x 3 times daily.They do help to keep the heart palps down. This does help to keep me calm, well calmer. To help with the flying, I flew at xmas my panic and anxiety was at its height. :scared15:I had a relaxation cd that i listened to. This gave me something else to focus on, and really helped. I also took diazepam which calmed me down. Get a really good book to read. Maybe get an audio book, as this will also help to focus your mind on other things..........most important enjoy your trip! :yesyes: hope this helps
Diane x

Pipkin
11-04-12, 16:47
Hi there,

I took oxprenolol everyday for a few weeks when things got really bad and they worked a treat. They stopped the shaking and racing heart but also got rid of that awful knotted feeling in my stomach. They also helped me to get my appetite back.

Worth a chat with your GP I think.

Pip x

Natreturns
11-04-12, 17:15
Thanks for the advice. I don't get palpatations just the nausea really. Do any of these drugs make you feel nauseous or horribly drowsy? I'm really stuck on what to ask for

Pipkin
11-04-12, 17:21
Hi,

Rather than asking for something specific, the best thing is to explain what you've said to us to your GP and let them recommend the best course of action.

If, like me, you forget half the things you wanted to say when you're in the consulting room, make a list and take it in with you. I do!

Pip x