PDA

View Full Version : Laryngopharyngeal reflux....sufferers?

mike_coventry_uk
11-04-12, 16:06
Hi guys,
I have posted on here a few times about this but am worrying about things a bit more lately!

I have suffered with the below symptoms regularly,

Over production of mucus
Redness and sore throat
Dry mouth(worse in morning)
Post nasal drip or feeling of something stuck in throat
Throat clearing in attempt to remove phlegm

I have been on omeprazole for 2 years and think this started as gerd and has moved further up my Esophogus into my larynx and throat! I am booked in to see the gastroentologist on the 25/04 and am worried something bad will show up!

Anyone suffer with this or has suffered? Would love some advice!

Mike

LittleMissSleepy
11-04-12, 21:06
hello Mike, I believe I get bouts of this due to "silent reflux", all of a sudden my voice goes hoarse or silent along with the need to clear my throat as you mentioned. I also have GERD symptoms although the acid reflux/heartburn isn't always painful or brought on by food, mines more physical. Although hot drinks do seem to make it worse.

When i had my scope there was no evidence of acid reflux as it had only been a couple of months since it started. I've been on omep. too since then with varying degrees of success.

Anxiety and passion (especially when in conversation) can make my LPR worse. I also get breathless and feel I can't finish sentences sometimes. The only way to do it is to whisper.

Wish I could say I can share any advice as I haven't really received any myself alas. Do you relate to any of this ? Have you noticed getting any bile reflux as well ? Apparently omeprazole can actually cause this, it may be causing your sore throat (?)

mike_coventry_uk
12-04-12, 17:45
Well I have been on 40mg a day of omeprazole,hope it isn't adding to it :(

The main problem for me is the amount of mucus it is soooooo bad and constant.

What do hot drinks do to you? Alcohol is really bad and hate the phlegm in mornings.

Scared of having a scope so hope I don't have to!

Em84
13-04-12, 07:49
Ohhhhh what's this all about....sounds like everything I sufferer with. Never heard of it before.

Constant mucus
Dry coughing fits at night
Breathless
Coughing all day

Got this new thing now,...started a week ago woke up with really bad back pain...constant all day long...after that it's now only when I try to burp or swallow a hot drink...I'm quite gassy at the min as well...

The pain is like when you swallow hot food too quick and you get that bad back pain like you can feel the food running down your spine and it makes you brathless for a second....

Weird......I think this is my illness for today, lol

mike_coventry_uk
13-04-12, 09:57
Ohhhhh what's this all about....sounds like everything I sufferer with. Never heard of it before.

Constant mucus
Dry coughing fits at night
Breathless
Coughing all day

Got this new thing now,...started a week ago woke up with really bad back pain...constant all day long...after that it's now only when I try to burp or swallow a hot drink...I'm quite gassy at the min as well...

The pain is like when you swallow hot food too quick and you get that bad back pain like you can feel the food running down your spine and it makes you brathless for a second....

Weird......I think this is my illness for today, lol

It's called silent reflux,have you ever suffered with acid reflux?been on meds for acid? Do you get heartburn?

The symptoms you get can be acid related,if it travels up your Esophogus then it can cause chest pain and aches in the back(ESP by the shoulder blades) the constant mucus is def a symptom cause the body produces this to protect the throat from acid!

Anxiety aside this is a genuine problem that can be fixed with help....the symptoms will create the anxiety because you will fear its something more I.e the chest pain been heart related.....

Any questions pls ask I'm almost a expert :(

Mike

LittleMissSleepy
23-04-12, 14:34
Alcohol should be avoided and the hot drinks and soups seem to cause spasms when toooo hot.

I also get the ache between the shoulder blades.