PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Addictions

neowallace
11-04-12, 17:21
Hi guys

I am wondering if anyone has had addictions related to their anxiety? I have developed an addiction for cocodomal painkillers over the last 4 years and have chosen to hopefully get some counselling to overcome this. I have been sober for 6 years now but it looks like I have swapped one addiction for another. Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences? The codiene seems to help my anxiety....:ohmy:

Beckybooboo
11-04-12, 19:17
Hi,

I seemed to go through a phase where I didn't feel it was physically possible to go about my day-to-day life without taking Kalms and also without taking Kalms sleeping tablets at night...

It was only when my boyfriend said that he wants me to be able to "function" without these that I tried and I managed to do it!

It's good that you've left them now, but it is all down to the mind at the end of the day and my god, the mind gets what it wants! I think I have OCD (haven't been clinically diagnosed as yet) but all of the symptoms are there, and for me, it's all psychological.

Lots of love x

paula lynne
11-04-12, 23:43
I first had a problem with alcohol, then self-harming, then addiction to cocodamol. Its sort of under control, but I do rely on them around my period as the pain is so bad. I become agitated if I dont have any in the house. I take the effervecent co-codamol, which dont seem as strong as the regular round tablets (which leave me a dribbling wreck..). Im working through this final "replacment" addiction, as Im aware Ive been replacing one bad habit with another. Its hard. :mad:

And it all started with a panic attack, October 2000 at 6pm in the evening while I was playing with my baby son.............blooming anxiety.

neowallace
14-04-12, 12:35
Thanks guys for the feedback. I wish you all the best with managing your anxiety. It's not easy to stop something that gives you comfort and helps you through the day. I suppose that old saying has some truth in it 'one day at a time'. Take care guys and keep in touch ....

swxx...:)