PDA

View Full Version : Really sore tongue after using mouthwash :-(

louise123_uk
13-04-12, 09:27
I have various dental problems that mean my gums arent in the best condition they could be and sometimes they bleed (basically I have crowded teeth that makes them difficult to clean and an unusual problem that causes my gums to grow too much in places). I was prescribed corsodyl mouthwash to use for a month a couple of years back after I had an operation on my gums, and as they have been bleeding recently I thought I would use corsodyl again for a month (I know its strong stuff that you shouldnt use regularly). I know having used it before that it stings a bit while its in your mouth but the tingling usually stops once you spit it out. I have been using it once a day for about 3 days, and on Wednesday it stung as usual, but once I spat it out my tongue still continued to sting. I didnt think much of this until I woke up the next morning to find the tip of my tongue and one side of my tongue was really sore and a bit numb, kind of like a burning feeling like when you burn your mouth on really hot food. Its still like that today and am panicing whats going on.

Obviously I have stopped using the mouthwash, however, Im worried whats going on with my tongue, I really feel its genuinely been burned, it kind of looks like the papillae (is the right) are coming off on the sore bit. Im hoping Ive just irrated it and it will be back to normal by end of the weekend, but cant help worrying Ive damaged my tongue or that the pain is caused by a cancer of the tongue that was already there that the mouthwash has aggravated, or even that this will lead to cancer as Ive damaged my tongue so much!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I dont want to go see my GP just yet if this doesnt sound serious to anyone else....

Pipkin
13-04-12, 09:43
Hi Louise,

Corsodyl is the likely suspect here as I had a similar experience after some dental work. For me, it left my tongue numb, stained my teeth and gave me a disgusting taste in my mouth. I stopped using it and started with tepid salt water. The symptoms soon cleared up and the staining went.

Hope that helps

Pip x

LAURA48
13-04-12, 09:45
Hi - pipkin is right - corsodyl is strong - I sometimes use Oraldene - that is good albeit strong. Try salt water - good for everything that one - probably just damaged the lining - with the alcohol content in it.