PDA

View Full Version : I keep getting tight chested n feeling like I can't breathe

Anxious_gal
13-04-12, 12:04
I know it's panic as it happens when I'm going places alone.
But it's so scary . I can feel it coming n rising .
My heart beats faster , my chest gets tight , I feel like I can't get enough air.
I worry I'll panic , I get images of myself asking strangers for help n embarrassing myself .
Thn I just feel scared and alone .
I'm getting better at calming down , but my panic attacks are worse .
Before I'd get anxious , now I get more n more anxious till I panic .
I'm just fed up with always feeling breathless when ever I go somewhere n panic more easily now!
I guess I just need more faite in myself , that I can cope if I panic alone ?
But at the time it feels like I'm suffocating :(

Rach29
13-04-12, 13:09
Hi i get this when im out its the worst feeling at one point i never used to go out because of it always feeling like im suffocating because i was chest breathing all the time and yes you must have more faith in yourself as horrible as panic attacks are you can learn to deal with them alone its all what you tell yourself if you tell yourself your going to panic you will just think positive thoughts when your out thats what i do now its hard at first but keep at it it works and its helped me stay calmer when i feel panicky stay strong you will beat it :)

Meltdown
15-04-12, 16:25
Unfortunately, I can totally relate to that feeling.

I have been getting it a lot recently, and no amount of controlled breathing, etc seems to shift it. I know it's not a real physical problem, as the symptoms go as soon as I get home, and on other occasions (when in the right frame of mind!), I can walk briskly, etc, so I know it's not a heart/lung problem, but at the time it feels like it!

Kitty witty
20-04-12, 08:28
Hi darling,
I can totally relate to what your feeling but rest assured the tight chestedness and lack of breath can be sorted out by breathing excercises. I promise it really does work, the reason for the symptoms you describe is because you are hyperventilating as you breath from your chest and to much oxygen gets to your brain. Please google breathing for panick attacks and start to practice it, I am not an expert and still get lots of other panick attack symptoms that I am trying to deal with but I don't get the tight chest anymore as I know exactly what it is when it starts and breath through it. Hope this helps you x