PDA

View Full Version : citalopram side effects

milicent
14-04-12, 07:04
has anyone had hot flushes when starting this med? i started 2 days ago-yesterday morning woke up with huge hot flush ( in my 60s) so of course brain in overdrive-Got on train for a 2 1/2 hr journey-slumped in seat like a rag doll-normally too up tight to sleep on train.Can,t really remember journey-all of the day was getting these flushes lasting about 5 seconds -so again my brain says "you have some ghastly illness and will have long lingering death" HELP

Em84
14-04-12, 09:16
Hiya,....

Medications work differently for different people....I was on Citalopram for 3 days only as I had bad side effects and my first proper panic attack the first day on them...SSRI's will prob be the cause of your hot flushes...your body is going to take a few weeks to adjust the the medication.

I am no longer on Any medications as unfortunately the other one I tried after o had side effects with also....

Give you body time to adjust, sounds like your prob going to be ok on them with this min side effect,....

If after a few weeks you feel they are not right for you, ask the GP...he may change the meds...

Xxx

annette1
14-04-12, 10:48
Hi Milicent

No gastly illness here! what you are experiencing are perfectly normal early side effects of citalopram, they should settle down in about 2 weeks. You may also experience a flu like feeling with heavy limbs & headaches but again just side effects & they will pass. I took around 6wks for me to feel the full benefit of Citalopram so, if you can stick with them & in time you'll wish you'd taken it before!

Good luck with them, I'm 3yrs down the line now & they have been a life saver for me. Take care

poecilotheria
17-04-12, 15:27
i had my first panic attack on them too, i was given them for my anxiety and BFS but never properly got them into my system as the effects of the first few days nearly sent me mad. first day i had really bad stomach burns and aches, second day i woke up panicking for some reason and felt ill, then i felt like a freezing cold wind was blowing on me and my whole body went numb, i nearly passed out. i thought right thats it, bin.