PDA

View Full Version : Going to the doctor's for the first time to discuss anxiety

FakePlasticTrees
14-04-12, 20:56
I think it's about time I got some help. I always wanted to recover on my own but I think i'm getting worse. I turn 30 this year and I thought to myself 'have I enjoyed and made the most of these 30 years?' Unfortunately I haven't. This condition has sucked the life out of me for the past 6 years. Enough's enough.

But I have this thing where I imagine myself start explaining to the doctor that I think I have an anxiety disorder, and he just puts his his head in his hands like its not serious, he tells me to man up, and I leave with no help. What if he says why haven't you come before? I'm so nervous about telling him, I've kept this to myself for so long, only my girlfriend knows, but not to the extent I have it.

Are people who made the step to seek help glad they did? Has the doctors medication/therapy/advice helped you and you're in a better place than before you went? I think if I know this it will make it easier for me to go.

Thank you.

Stormsky
14-04-12, 21:01
When i went last year, i just started by saying i think ive got severe anxiety... they ask all the questions usually... and youll find it easy to talk once you get over the initial first moments.... they should discuss what it is you want... do you want meds? do you want CBT? do you want advice on help without meds, such as diet, exercise etc etc etc
I saw a gp on TV recently, that said 45% of her weekly patients was anxiety.
its not new to them these days.

MrRedShirt
14-04-12, 21:07
I would go in and just speak from the heart and explain how much this is impacting on your life. They are there to help and they need to know how much distress it's causing.

They'll be able to take you through the treatment options, as Stormsky's outlined above.

But please don't put it off for fear of your doctor's reaction, they're there to help.

PanchoGoz
14-04-12, 21:18
Anxiety will never be pushed aside by a doctor - they know how serious a condition it can be and will always give you the options if you just tell them what you are feeling and how it is impacting on your life.

happycamper
14-04-12, 22:24
Hi FPT's,
Approaching the GP was the best thing I could have done. I was having physical symptoms probably related to anxiety, especially stomach problems which became a viscous circle creating even more anxiety.
I went into the surgery feeling composed but crumbled when inside, yet strangely was shocked to come out with a prescription for citalopram.
But the thing I most remember was the feeling of a weight off my shoulders knowing something could be done.
Personally I think I'll always have a tendency to anxiety, but now I've a good understanding about it, am in a much better position to manage it when it rears it's ugly head as it still does.
Hope it goes well and keep us posted.

Pipkin
14-04-12, 23:24
Hi there,

I really know where you're coming from as that first step for me was so difficult - it was like admitting the problem to myself and I was also really quite embarrassed.

I've discussed my anxiety with several doctors. Some have been more sympathetic than others but none have been dismissive. It's clear that they'd all seen this many times before. My personal preference are the GPs who are more 'no nonsense'. Although this doesn't suit everyone, I like to hear it like it is and to be given direct and plain advice.

Make a list of the things you want to discuss which you feel explain how you feel and take it in with you. It can be really hard when you're in the consulting room to remember what you wanted to say. Also, try not to go in expecting a particular outcome (eg. meds), let your GP advise you and then give your point of view. A good GP should give you different options and talk you through the pros and cons.

If you're interested, the NICE guidance on GAD is available online. This is what GPs work to and it will tell you what to expect. It's here:

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13314/52599/52599.pdf

Take care and let us know how you get on

Pip x

FakePlasticTrees
15-04-12, 15:47
Hi everyone, thanks for getting back to me. It seems pretty unanimous that I should visit the doc's. I know myself that I should to. I will see how I get on this week and then go from there, but I think I'm going to do it. Its just making that appointment, once i've done that I'll be fine.
As always, thanks for taking the time to reply.

PanchoGoz
15-04-12, 16:23
Glad to hear it! I would just like to add...
You might find that planning to go to the doctor will make your anxiety subside for a while and you will think you are better. It's evil like that, it sees you making an effort to put i right so it decides to "behave" like a naughty child after it sees it's teacher getting the whip out.
I suggest you make that appointment asap as it won't get better in the space of a week and you forget! Make it right now. I'm saying this because I put it off for weeks and months, and only after I made the appointment I had to wait a week for it as well!
Take care x

MrRedShirt
15-04-12, 16:27
Glad to hear it! I would just like to add...
You might find that planning to go to the doctor will make your anxiety subside for a while and you will think you are better. It's evil like that, it sees you making an effort to put i right so it decides to "behave" like a naughty child after it sees it's teacher getting the whip out.
I suggest you make that appointment asap as it won't get better in the space of a week and you forget! Make it right now. I'm saying this because I put it off for weeks and months, and only after I made the appointment I had to wait a week for it as well!
Take care x

Very well put Pancho, I experienced my anxiety 'ducking and weaving' in this manner for a good few weeks! Weeks that were wasted! My advice would be to do it asap.. and be sure to note down the distress you've been caused and take this to the doctor in case it pulls a fast one on the day of the appointment!

flossie
15-04-12, 17:55
Firstly, well done for realising that you need help to manage the anxiety you are experiencing. If you feel that you have a lot you would like to explain to the GP and won't have time or will forget what you want to say you could write a letter and drop it into the surgery a few days before your appointment. I have done this and the doctor already had a good idea on how I was feeling before my visit. For me, I felt this took some of the pressure off my explaining things clearly once I got to the appointment.
Making that first appointment is the difficult bit but it is a really positive step in taking back control of your life. Don't wait to see how you get on this week. That is the classic 'avoidance' thing of the anxiety sufferer. It doesn't matter if this week is good or not so good. Just make that appointment and talk it all through with someone. You will be surprised how good it will feel to have someone in your corner with you on the road to your recovery.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

FakePlasticTrees
15-04-12, 19:34
You know the condition to well, maybe you're right, it is just me putting it off, but I have never felt this strongly about seeking professional help in all the years I've been dealing with this, and I think that's a big start. Personally, I would like to try CBT, i don't like some of the things I read about the medication available and the problems associated with withdrawal, it seems many people here have had success with CBT. It appeals to me much more.

FakePlasticTrees
16-04-12, 11:21
Ok, I rang this morning, but there were no appointments left. :weep:
Understandable really, it was 10:10am, i'd overslept as i couldn't get to sleep til 5am.
This is the worst I've felt in years though so will get up earlier and be sure to ring tomorrow.
Just got to get through today first.
Deep breaths.....

flossie
16-04-12, 13:18
Ain't that just typical of life as an anxiety sufferer. Just when you make that decision to do something positive it all goes wrong.:D
Never mind, tomorrow is another day and learn from the experience. If you have one, set your alarm clock to wake you in plenty of time. That way you can sleep without worrying about clock watching in the morning. Give yourself plenty of time to get ready just in case they give you an early appointment. Rushing to get out the door and to the surgery will make your anxiety levels worse.
Have you written down all the things you want to mention and any queries about treatment you may have. You don't have to use it once you are there, the GP will probably ask you questions and guide you through it anyway but it might help you knowing that it is there as a prompt if needed.
If they don't make an appointment for you tomorrow then ask for one sometime this week. The guide lines state that you should expect to see a GP within 48 hours of calling. If you are wanting to see a particular doctor though be a bit more flexible and ask to see him within the week.
Don't be put off. It's just a hiccup that's all. Stay positive about getting the help you are wanting. It isn't easy I know but this is the first step to building the life you would like to have and deserve.

FakePlasticTrees
16-04-12, 18:42
Hi flossie, thanks for replying :)
After a terrible morning, i managed to recover quite well, went swimming and that really helped. Still plan on going tomorrow. My girlfriend is going to call when she gets up for work for me, what an angel I have there, but if i get up at that time I know I will not get back to sleep and will probably not have had much sleep. I have listed what I want to say on my laptop, i'm confident I'll be able to get an appointment tomorrow and thanks for your encouraging words, I really do hope its the start if something positive.
I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks

FakePlasticTrees
17-04-12, 12:14
Hi,

Just an update, I went to the doctors this morning, my heart was racing but it was fine, a little to easy if anything. She seemed to be referring more to depression than anxiety, even though i was only mentioning anxiety and not depression. Anyway she explained its incredibly common at the moment and 2 out of every 6 people she sees are depression and anxiety related. She readily gave me a prescription for 20mg Citalopram, a self referral form for therapy, and to come back in a month to see how I'm doing.
I've made the mistake of reading a lot of bad comments about the first few weeks of taking the medication, but am going for it anyway, as it must help some people, and people are more likely to write if it doesn't work, than if it does.
My only question would be, should i start taking it now, I am spposed to take it on the mornings but start a training course tomorrow, are the first few days so bad that I would not be able to do this?
Many thanks to everyone that reads this thread and provides advice. I feel better for doing this, it seems like i've building up to this day for nearly 6 years. But i realise this is just a start, and medication is not a cure, just a fix. I am still keen to explore the CBT route.

MrRedShirt
17-04-12, 12:27
Well done and I'm glad you found it easy going!

Depression and anxiety are inter-related and doctors think of them as two-sides of the same coin, so don't worry about that.

The first few days of taking the citalopram might be rough-going as this is when you're most likely to feel the sde-effects (although you could be lucky and not get any!), so if you've got anything important and unavoidable in the next few days it might be best to put off starting until after this.

FakePlasticTrees
17-04-12, 17:33
Well done and I'm glad you found it easy going!

Depression and anxiety are inter-related and doctors think of them as two-sides of the same coin, so don't worry about that.

The first few days of taking the citalopram might be rough-going as this is when you're most likely to feel the sde-effects (although you could be lucky and not get any!), so if you've got anything important and unavoidable in the next few days it might be best to put off starting until after this.

Thanks MrRedShirt, I think i'm going to take your, and another forum member i've spoke to, advice and start at the weekend. I don't want to risk having to run out of the training centre or whatever.

Hope you're feeling ok.

Pipkin
17-04-12, 17:42
Hi there,

Well done - first hurdle crossed! I agree that you may see increased anxiety and some other side effects for the first couple of weeks so it's probably best to choose your time to start the meds carefully.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Pip x

happycamper
17-04-12, 22:31
Hi FPT,
Well done for taking such a big step!
I agree in delaying starting citalopram, I made sure I started mine on my days off from work.
Just wanted to say I've had a very positive experience taking cit...as you mentioned there are plenty of negative posts but much fewer positive ones.
Hope it goes well.