PDA

View Full Version : This story might help

scrog80
15-04-12, 19:28
I have not posted in a while well since i first go struck with a panick attack about a year ago where my life was turned up side down but i read allot of posts about people beeing hit and it is overwelming and life destroying so i hope this might help some people.

my first panick attack happend a year ago after taking an excessive amount of cafeen thanks to red bull but i might add the odd can does nothing to me it was about 10 in 2 hours so self inflicted along with a rediculous life style with work and relationships all contributing to it all

before my enitial attack that happend at the gym i was a lively confident person more than most in my opinion but during the attack i though i was having a heart attack had chest pains and cramps in my arms this lasted on and off for about a week as you will no panick attacks need massive energy when there in full force so after each one i slept for hours had no sleep pattern but for me i got no attacks at night or during sleep so i tryd to stay in bed asleep, my mother was concerned as we did no no what an attack was so put it down to something medical so i wne to the doctor the 1st time in 30 yrs had blood work that only added to the anxiety i was going through as i did not like needles then to find out i needed to go back as not enough blood was taken put me in such a state i ended up in a+e where more blood work was done and heart monitors were used all results came back normal i though how can this be possible in the following months i developed massive depression and agraphobia this is typical to people suffering from anxiety i now no....

i was prescribed beeta blockers that did nothing for me then one anti depressant after another while still staying at home hiding away from the world anti depressants just made me feel numb but did nothing for me nothing to realy write home about any way by this time i was an emotional needy wreck i could not stand to be away from my partner for more than an hour a realy bad time in my life till it got to the point where suicide seamed like the only thing that would stop it but i haft to admit excessive amounts of valium i was buying off a friend did take the edge off considerabaly if you dont mind lieing in your own druel :)

so now for where i went from there
i decided to help my selfe so i turned to this forum every self help book ever written but due to my panickey state i might as well have been reading chinese as i carnt remember a single word and did not at the time and was wondering why it was not working :mad:

then i decided to try turning to god and flip flops white trousers and whale music that lasted about a month got to admit i do go to sleep listening to whale music though :D

was a pair of flip flops and a rosarie going to cure me from panck ?????:yesyes: was it f*#k

so again i went down hill ended up in a local nut house for an acessment where i was put on a high dose of cetralopram great stuff as far as anxiety goes and also great for stopping your sex life like all drugs that mess with dopamine and seratonin medication

so one on the meds i took on the therapy route i was seeing nhs mental health at the time but this was not seaming like it was helping so beleaving that hypnotherapy and counciling could help what i found out was that hypnotherapy is a very expensive hours sleep :D and speaking about how i didnt get enough love as a kid did nothing to cure me from panick but im not saying it wont for you hypnotherapy is excelent for relaxation and i would recomend it..

i come across a book on cbt and also a book called feel the fear and do it any way, i was in allot calmer state at this time and was going to work on the odd day as i was just as sick of beeing stuck in as i was feeling massive anxiety and also the emotional torture i was putting my partner through who nealy did not finish her uni corse guilt i will carry with me always but she was my rock and with out her i would not be here left to my own devices god knows what an anxious person can do and when ive been feeling panickey i have done some verry funny things but at the time not funny to me :D but hopefully 1 day i will laugh about how i was

i started reading the book on cbt and feeling fear and im not one for writing things down like the book wants you to do but the books give me some ideas ok lets go to the gym again i made it to the door turned round and ran back to my car:doh: the second day i made it in then to the sauna for 10 min then went home i built this up over a few months to a point where i was at the grm 4 days a week and i was back at work 12 hrs a day i realised that because the first panick attack happend at the gym this was the hardest thing to fight from there i started going in my car places something i stoped doing well i stoped doing everything in fairness and now 4 mths after the initial stages i am in a place where i can leave my local town and have days out with out fear my head poping

i hope that this little story of my journey might help you in no looking for a quick fix in the world of anxiety a quick fix would be in my case 3-12 months for instance im going on holiday abroud in 8 weeks that im crapping my selfe about so to work up to it i have had a weekend away that was a nightmare got a ticket for beeing on the phone a crappy hotel bla bla and a few days away in other towns doing things helps me to get ust to beeing away from home or MY SAFE PLACE you no you all got one!:roflmao:

so to cut this long story my way to fight the fear remember this!!

yes its bad now so the only way is up it carnt and dosent get worse the first attack is always the worse
make small steps
make bigger steps
remember your family are going through this to and give them the love they deserve
do some thing out your comfort zone every week
you dont need flip flops
you do need to look inside to fix the problem
question feelings and thoughts
when you have sex and your hearts off like mad do u die ????? NO but during panick u think you will dont you and your heart is off half as much just my way or rationalising if one wont kill me neither will the other :D

your brane is a clever thing it needs proof so question the anxiety and panick the more you do the more you realise its not real its all fabrication your scared of something stand up to it get off your arse and make the 1st step.....

sorry about my spelling im no english teacher but i hope you can see the difference in my life over the last year and relate to my story and realise on this road were not alone were all in it together any one with any questions pm me if i can help i will ive got no money by the way

Meltdown
16-04-12, 07:12
Thanks for taking the trouble to post that! An interesting story.

Yes, I think small steps are the key. And if we fail, not to beat ourselves up about it, but carry on and try again another day!

K1rsty
16-04-12, 08:42
Thank you for the post - really interesting and some very good advice. I can relate to what you have written and I am so pleased you are doing well mate. It does give hope to me. I hope you have a well deserved fantastic holiday! :)

tamo
16-04-12, 12:29
Congratulations on your progress
Feel the fear and do it anyway by clare Weeks is a must read book for people with anxiety related problems ( a couple of quid on amazon) .
Everyone is different ,meds work for some but not others , I hated all of them ( haha including the droop ,not funny ) .
You were courageous by tackling your gym . You are doing great .
Yes the answer is within us .

well done sir

belgarion
16-04-12, 13:11
Good post. Well done on turning it round and getting back on track! Similar story to mine (minus the sandals) and I'm years without panic attacks now. I also was anxious about going away, but have been places I never thought I'd have gone to just because I challenged myself, and looking back at those times are a nice reward!