PDA

View Full Version : sertraline to venlafaxine

alfredo1
16-04-12, 14:00
hi all
just back from the doctors. He has agreed that i give venlafaxine a go after a pshyciatrist recommended this last year.

My doctor said that I can just stop the sertraline today and start the venlafaxine tomorrow. Has anyone experienced this? I just get worried that they don't really know what they're talking about!!! I'm on 100mg of sertraline, I wondered if i should tapper down to 50mg for a week before starting the ven???

any pointers would be appreciated

thanks
Kerrie

MrRedShirt
16-04-12, 14:04
Hi, there are loads of guides online - just type 'switching antidepressants' into google.

You may well find conflicting advice though, so to be reassured, double check anything with your doctor.

alfredo1
16-04-12, 14:19
ok so the website that my doctor got the information from said 'withdraw sertraline then start ven'

withdraw to me, is to come off them completely not just switch the next day!!!!!

eeek

nicola1980
16-04-12, 14:24
what dose ven has he prescribed you? most people do a straight swap over with no probs xx

alfredo1
16-04-12, 14:38
oh really, 37mg or something small!!!!

nicola1980
16-04-12, 14:43
yeah i started on 37.5mg xx

pinkdove
16-04-12, 15:34
hi i went straight from citalopram one day to venlofaxine the next with little or no side effects....good luck xx

LAURA48
16-04-12, 16:44
Hi Kel

Sertraline wasn't doing anything for you was it? and you had given it a long run - you will probably feel better on ven and if the psychiatrist mentioned it before. Out of interest why didn't you go on it then?

Yes I am no expert but 37mg is the norm starting dose like Nicola and Pinkdove.

I had to come of Sert - felt it was making me worse!

Good Luck

Laura

nicola1980
17-04-12, 14:26
Hi have you took your first dose of ven? xx

benjamin222
23-04-12, 19:58
I'm doing the same thing as you, switching from sertraline to ven. Like you, my doctor told me it was totally fine to just stop zoloft one day and start ven the next. I'm on my 2nd day of ven right now, other than just feeling a little strange I'm doing good! I was on 50mg of sert and now on 75mg of ven. I'll keep you guys posted, but right now the main thing I notice is tiny muscle tremors. It does remind me a little of when I had sertraline withdrawal a long time ago when I tried to quit anti depressants altogether. Good luck to you!