PDA

View Full Version : Reason for relapse...

Meltdown
17-04-12, 07:50
I have been undergoing something of a relapse over the last 6 months, which has taken me back to where I was in 2006/7 in terms of paniic/anxiety etc

I was been considering my options, including asking for more CBT, increasing my dose of proprananol (as advised by my doctor) - when suddenly the reason for my relapse hit me!

Over a period of time, without even noticing, I have crept back into a negative type or thought-pattern I call "catastrophising"!

I suddenly noticed that I plan any new situation, any new event which takes me out of my comfort zone, before hand in my head, and imagine it going wrong in every way possible, with me having a panic attack, collapsing, being unable to move, etc...

Now I realise that all I have to do is to rehearse these situations in my head, but to imagine everything going RIGHT, and with me being strong, and confident. Easy isn't it?! ( Except that we all know that it isn't!)

But it is the expectation and fear of disaster which eventually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, which fuels the panic cycle! I am going to try to re-train my brain to leave these negative thought patterns behind, and see what happens!

Rach29
17-04-12, 09:21
its good that you know the reason why you have slipped back thats what im trying to do re-train my brain and yeah easier said than done but good luck with it hope you beat it again :)

Stormsky
17-04-12, 11:19
Maybe dont try planning it all in your head at all, just go with the flow on the day...

nicotine
17-04-12, 20:45
I am going through similar problems.

I have been anxiety-free for almost 4 years but over the last 6 months my anxiety has crept back into my existence, and I am most displeased as you can imagine!

The last thing I want to do is up my dose of citalopram! Im on 10mg every other day and it's taken me a long time to get where I am dose wise and I really want to come off anti-depressants completely. My doctor, naturally, will encourage me to up my dose again. To me, citalopram could end up being almost a life-long short term easy solution, but this is not what I want. I want to cope with panic drug free!

Maybe in your circumstances CBT would help you re-train your brain! In my opinion, this is far more positive then just upping your dose (yet anyways, it might be 6 months but it's still early days really!)

I find meditation and yoga really help my thought patterns remain positive and full of light. I have terrible negative thoughts when at my worst! You can find lots of videos on youtube for beginners yoga and meditation and so far for me its making me feel a lot more positive! (not out the woods yet though! patience is the key!)