PDA

View Full Version : Can a pinched nerve is lower back cause...

lelespears
17-04-12, 08:08
A weak feeling, pins & needles, numbness in the side its pinched at?

I have a pain on the right side of my back think its a pinched nerve or something but my arm & leg on the same side feel weird. Can a nerve in the back effect the arm and leg??

Lele x

JennyW
17-04-12, 08:33
absolutely. A pinched/trapped nerve will cause, tingling, numbness, aching limbs (as if they don't belong to you) - it's a wierd feeling that one!

it all depends which joint is trapping the nerve and then this dictates the discomfort. Sensations in the legs are caused by trapped nerves lower in the back and sensations in the arm are caused by nerves in the neck. You could have 2 trapped.

Can you get yourself to a good physio? If not, they will settle and go on there on, just takes a bit longer.

lelespears
17-04-12, 11:30
Really?! My leg kinda feels numb or limp but obviously it's not. What can be done about this?

Lele x

JennyW
17-04-12, 17:22
well the doctor could give you muscle relaxers, sometimes they prescribe diazipan (spelling)? which is an anti-depressant but relaxes you and muscles. I get it quite a bit as I have terrible neck problems and probably see my osteo every 3/4 months to have my neck cracked but I always know if I've aggrevated a nerve because I get tingling sensations in my shoulder/arm

Try your doctor in the first instance then go from there

dan1234
17-04-12, 18:29
Absolutely a trapped nerve can cause all of that.

Co-codamol, diazepam, gabapentin/pregabalin Naproxen aswell as OTC medicines can help.

GP's are reluctant to prescribe diazepam - it is not a antidepressant at all.

JennyW
18-04-12, 08:48
GP's are reluctant to prescribe diazepam - it is not a antidepressant at all.

why would you say it's not an antidepressant?

"As diazepam increases the activity of GABA in the brain, it increases its calming effect and results in sleepiness, a decrease in anxiety and relaxation of muscles.
Diazepam has several uses. Firstly, it can be used to calm severe anxiety and agitation"

macc noodle
18-04-12, 09:16
Definitely sounds like a trapped nerve and would say that you definitely need a muscle relaxant to ease it off.

Or some manipulation maybe?

And, doctors are reluctant to prescribe Diazepam because of their addictive nature.

xxxxxxxxxxx

lelespears
18-04-12, 09:18
Thanks guys!! Really appreciate it!

Will talk to my dr if it carry on.

Lele x

dan1234
18-04-12, 21:52
why would you say it's not an antidepressant?

"As diazepam increases the activity of GABA in the brain, it increases its calming effect and results in sleepiness, a decrease in anxiety and relaxation of muscles.
Diazepam has several uses. Firstly, it can be used to calm severe anxiety and agitation"

Because it is a benzodiazepine.

bignik
18-04-12, 23:59
if you have a good relationship with your GP he should prescribe you some diazepam and it will help short term , but as already said very addictive , sadly I know only too well but for a couple of weeks and small dosage its fine and very good on a need to basis only. Only you will know , but if have an addictive nature avoid them , they are your best friend to begin with but after long term usage your worse enemy and withdrawal after long term use is horrendous.

perhaps some co codamol for a few days maybe help