PDA

View Full Version : Feeling of not recognising familiar things

scatty_cat
04-07-06, 14:10
Hi

I just wondered whether anyone else has the feeling of not completely recognising someone or something that is very familiar to them.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to my son and I suddenly got the feeling that I didn't know him. I mean I 'knew' it was him and I recognised him but I felt he was different in some way. I just had this feeling of not knowing him as I thought I did. Sorry if that sounds strange - it's really hard to explain. It's also happened with my husband a couple of times - it's the weirdest feeling.

Also last week I was driving my son to school, a journey I make twice a day and as we got into the village it just didn't look familiar yet I knew it was.

Is this just another anxiety related symptom?

Rachel

chucklehound
04-07-06, 14:37
Hi Cat, I used to get this all the time. The same as you I was talking to my son and had a terrible thought that I didn't know him.

It's called de-realisation and yes it's just another anxiety symptom.
I get mine rarely now.

Hope you start to feel better soon

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

Attsila
20-07-06, 14:21
I get that too. Heck I look in the mirror and don't even recognize my own face. It is really scary. I am trying to accept mine and maybe it will go away. I hope anyway.

worrying is alot Like a Rocking Chair It is something todo but it won't get you anywhere