PDA

View Full Version : Changed from Mirtazapine to Venlalic

Knowlesi
19-04-12, 12:19
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum after finding it whilst googling numerous symptoms etc. So Hello....

I'm currently on day 2 of changing from 30mg of Mirtazapine to 75mg of Venlalic XL and have to say have noticed a number of different side affects. Most noticably is the increase in anxiety, I'm really struggling today to keep it together. I've also noticed that my sleep has taken a hit as well since stopping the mirt. I understand this is a symptom too but could really do without right now as I have been so tired for feels like forever. :weep:

One other strange side affect is the amount of yawning I'm doing. It feels strange though after the yawn - almost a 'spcey' or 'trippy' and sometime makes me want to laugh?? Can anyone relate to this?

I would love to hear other peoples experiences from starting Venlalic. I have read a lot of negative posts on this particular ad (in comparison to effexor) so some positive thoughts would be nice. :)

Thanks in advance.

nicola1980
19-04-12, 12:27
Hi i swapped from mirtazapine to venlafaxine 6 weeks ago, i cross tapered over and only started on 37.5mg of ven and gradually reduced the mirt from 30 to 15 then to 0 and now ive gradually worked my way up on the ven to 75mg in the morning and 37.5mg at night, i had heightened anxiety at the start to the point that i nearly gave them up after 4 days but ive persevered and slowly things are improving but im not on the slow release ones, ive heard mixed reports of the slow release ones so think ill stick with the actually venlafaxine at the min!! xx

MrRedShirt
19-04-12, 12:28
Hello and welcome :)

Can I ask why you swapped from Mirtazapine?
I also swapped from mirt, but to Duloxetine (another SNRI) and I had all the symptoms you describe. The sleep in particular has been a problem and my GP prescribed me some zopiclone to help with this.

Isn't Venlalic just the same as Effexor (or generic venlafaxine)?

Also, something to consider (which I didn't at first) is that what you're experiencing maybe partly due to the withdrawal from Mirtazapine.

Knowlesi
19-04-12, 12:40
I was taking Mirtazapine for 5 weeks and it didn't seem to be doing anything for me. I talked it through with my GP and he suggested Venlafaxine. However as he specified tablets I ended up with Venlalic. My GP also said there was no need to taper on the mirt so stopped taking it and started on the venlalic straight away. Now I've lost the sedation my sleep is all over the place again.

I've seen a lot of mixed reports on the venlalic, almost to say that it is totally different to Venlafaxine although it is claimed to be the same?

I've always known I was anxious but have always managed to keep it at a controllable level. Never before have I felt like this. It is crippling. I just hope this ad does the trick and gets me back on the road to recovery.

Thanks for the replies

nicola1980
19-04-12, 12:48
you could always call your gp if your worried and ask for actual venlafaxine? if your on 75mg you'd take a 37.5mg in the morning then another 37.5mg at night? i was only on the mirtazapine for 6 weeks but i still cross tapered over so you may well be suffering some withdrawal aswel xx

Knowlesi
21-04-12, 09:14
Hey there everyone. Really struggling at the moment. I'm on day 4 of taking 75mg of venlalic and i am suffering some terrible side effects. My anxiety is off the chart and Im very agitated and nauseous. Im getting no more than 3hrs sleep a night and i feel physically, mentally and emotionally shattered. Does it get any better as can't cope with this much more.

This is horrendous! I've totally lost my appetite and i can't get out of bed this morning just can't face it.
Any help really appreciated.

Pipkin
21-04-12, 09:52
Hi there,

I'm on venlafaxine slow-release capsules (for the second time) and my advice would be to stick it out. From talking to people on here, it seems to take quite a few weeks to take effect and the anxiety symptoms tend to last a couple of weeks. If you're really struggling, speak to your GP and see if he can prescribe something to help you through the initial side effects (I took beta blockers which really helped).

A couple of other points:
You will also be suffering withdrawal from the Mirtazapine and this, combined with the initial venlafaxine effects, will be making you feel quite anxious.
Don't get hung up on the slow-release point - it's a red herring as I've been on both and there is absolutely no difference in the anxiety reducing effects (unless I'm an exception as I can only tell you my experience).

Venlafaxine has helped me incredibly but it takes time so, if you can stick it out, chances are that it will help.

Take care and feel free to ask me any questions you want to. There's also an active thread on changing from Cit to Ven which might be useful to join in to.

Pip x

nicola1980
21-04-12, 10:23
Hi i felt like that on day 4 too and very nearly gave them up but i decided to carry on and 6 wks later im slowly getting there, i also suffered mirtazapine withdrawal even tho i cross tapered over x x

Knowlesi
21-04-12, 11:30
Thanks pip and Nicola for your replies, it helps to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel!!! Just not sure how much more i can take i feel vile, totally out of control.

Nichola hope you don't mind me asking but what side effects did you experience that made you consider stopping??

Pipkin
21-04-12, 12:14
Hi there,

What I should have said is that I know how truly awful it is for the first few days - days 4 to 6 were the pits and, I can honestly say, I have never felt so bad. I'll list the side effects I got to see if it's any reassurance for you that you're not on your own:

Pounding/racing heart
Shaking
Sweating hands
No concentration at all
Knotted feeling in stomach (this was probably the worst)
Jumping/wave of anxiety at every slightest noise
Hot waves starting in stomach and rising to my chest and arms
Completely irrational thoughts
Thought I was going mad
Crying for no reason

I convinced myself I was having an adverse reaction but I wasn't. As I said before, the beta blockers were an absolute life saver and sorted out the physical symptoms within hours. I took these for a couple of weeks and then stopped. I got a few of the physical symptoms back but they went after a couple of days. I still have them on standby to take when I need them which, to date, I haven't.

Hope that helps

Pip

nicola1980
21-04-12, 12:47
I nearly stopped cause my anxiety rocketed, felt so sick, no appetite, shaky and that was only me taking 37.5mg so i dread to think how id have felt on 75mg! X x

Knowlesi
22-04-12, 08:01
Morning everyone. Well pip i seem to suffer a lot of the symptoms you listed. I also seem to be suffering terrible tiredness (i was shattered before i started taking these) i spent the day in bed as i couldn't face the world. The insomnia isn't helping either!!

You have given me some reassurance though guys thankyou. I started reading the other thread you mentioned pip it was really nice to see the support given.
I suppose due to my ha there is a part of me that thinks i have something more serious that has meant i can't get out of bed. :weep:

This really is no fun.

nicola1980
22-04-12, 08:03
It honestly does pass, just give it a few more days and im sure you'll be feeling alot better, your obvously suffering withdrawals from the mirt and side effects from the ven but i promise it will get better i was just the same xx

Knowlesi
22-04-12, 08:18
Thanks Nicola Im trying to stay positive. I've just no energy to get up out of bed. I have 3 young children and i feel so sorry for my wife as she has had to take them this weekend as i have been a rightoff.

Is it normal to feel this tired and withdrawn?

nicola1980
22-04-12, 08:27
yep it actually says on my box of ven that it can cause drowisness, i was a wreck when i started hence nearly giving up on day 4.......i was adament i wasn't taking anymore cause i just couldn't function, my anxiety was out of control, i felt sooooooo sick with zero appetite, my pupils were the size of saucers!! i went to bed on day 4 saying to my hubby theres no way im taking another one of them and that like i said was only on 37.5mg but then i thought no i need to try as this is the 3rd AD ive tried since august and now im feeling loads better 6 wks on and have gradually worked my dose up to 75mg in the morning and 37.5mg at night and im hoping to stay on that xx

Pipkin
22-04-12, 08:42
Morning!

You'll definitely start to feel better very soon. If I can give you any advice, it's to force yourself to get up, have a shower and go out. I know you really won't feel like it (in fact, you probably think you can't do it) but I give you a 100% guarantee that you'll be feeling better by this evening if you do. I spent 2 days in bed feeling deathly and my partner forced me to get up and go for a long walk. I think it was this that was the turning point for me.

I also lost my appetite but forced myself to eat some muesli which also helped.

Off you go - you're under orders!

Pip x

Knowlesi
22-04-12, 08:50
This tiredness is more of a drained to the core tiredness and has been with me for weeks. It just seems to have gotten even worse whilst taking the ven. Im very shaky and unsteady on my feet too.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Nicola, it's nice to know we're not alone.

---------- Post added at 08:50 ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 ----------

Hey Pip, nice to hear from you. You're so right in what you say, i did get up yesterday for a while to force some food into me but just didn't feel up to much so went to bed half way through The Voice!

I have to say the support on this forum is top notch. I couldn't imagine going through this without it! Thanks again.

nicola1980
22-04-12, 08:55
could you ask your doc for some diazepam to help you thro the side effects and the withdrawal? xx

Pipkin
22-04-12, 08:58
Well the Voice would be enough to make me anxious and go to bed! Don't even get me started on Jesse J...

If you get up and go out for a walk (at least an hour) and don't feel better for it, you can come back on here later and tell me what bad advice I give!

Take care

Pip x

Knowlesi
22-04-12, 11:03
Well Pip i made it as far as the shower got dressed and forced some cereal down. But that was as far as i got. Feel too ropey to venture out. Im supposed to be going to my dads today as it is his 60th birthday tomorrow and just can't face it.

Really hope these tabs are worth it as i feel like death!

Pipkin
22-04-12, 11:38
Hi there,

Your mind wants you to think you can't go out but actually you can. A visit to your Dad's might be a bit much as I know how hard it is to be sociable when you feel bad so I'm sure a phone call would do just as well. I bet you could get out for some fresh air though. If I sound like I'm nagging, I am. It's just I know how bad you feel and I think you could feel better. Just whatever you do, don't go back to bed as that's the worst thing you can do, however tempting it is.

If you read a bit more of that post I was telling you about (when you get back), you'll see a friend of mine called Petra (petram on here) who started the Venlafaxine at the same time as me. She takes venlalic and it turned her life around. She's now doing things she hadn't done for years and is now looking for a job. She's a real success story. It was a long, rocky road but she got there with support from here. Although I've never been as bad as that (I work full time and never take time off unless I'm in a terrible state - twice in 4 years), I'm also feeling better than I have for years. I'm on a different brand but still extended release.

Let us know how you're doing later.

Take care

Pip x

pinkdove
22-04-12, 12:07
a wee bit of advice from me too, i am taking venlafaxine nearlt 3 months now, i take 150mg daily after citalopram stopped working for me.

i have been where you are now, and thought i'd never get there, but i have, and i owe a lot to the ven it has been a godsend, and as pip say's it takes time, but it is worth it.

also we blame the meds, but the way you are feeling will be down to your anxiety as well, and you're nearly there, i'm sure you will start to feel some benefits in a day or two.

don't be so hard on yourself your wife will understand and i always said if i got better i would make it up to hubby as he did everything for me.....and i try too

take one day at a time and try to do as much as you can, even if it's just a little, and you have managed to shower and get ready today well done.take care xx

Knowlesi
22-04-12, 12:08
Thanks Pip. Im struggling as i feel so sick and shaky/ weak as I've not really eaten much over the past few days. I will however make a conscious effort and report back!

One more thing before my exercise...Does the lack of appetite subside as Im beginning to worry the weight is dropping off me!!

Pipkin
22-04-12, 12:28
Pink is right - we are quick to blame the meds but it's actually your anxiety giving you the grief here, exacerbated by the withdrawal from the old and starting the new. Stick with it and, again as Pink rightly said (she's always right :winks:), one day at a time.

Yes, your appetite will come back. I had to force food down and thought I was going to be sick. It was a real effort. I'm quite slim anyway and I reckon I lost close to a stone in a couple of weeks. The reverse has now happened and I've got a healthier appetite than I have had for years and put the weight back on.

One last thing before I let you get on with your day (though I'm around if you need me), it really might be worth going back to your GP and asking for a bit of extra help to get you through the next couple of weeks. Nicola suggested Diazepam - I've never taken that but it is used very effectively for short-term relief. I took beta blockers, as I said, and they were an absolute godsend. Seriously, I don't know if I could have managed without them (mine were Oxprenolol but most people take Propranolol - pretty much the same, I believe). Worth a thought?

Take care

Pip x

pinkdove
22-04-12, 12:35
yes i use diazapam when things are tough, and got them to help with the cit withdrawals and starting the ven, it would be worth speaking to you gp, as they really can help in the short term, hope you feel better soon xx

Knowlesi
22-04-12, 13:43
Thanks again Pip and thanks Pink for your input. Im thinking i'll call my gp tomorrow and see what he has to say.

Pipkin
22-04-12, 22:48
Hi there,

I hope you're feeling a bit better. A good idea to go and see your GP tomorrow - a bit of extra help won't do any harm.

Let us know how you get on

Take care

Pip

nicola1980
23-04-12, 09:13
Hi hope your doing ok, let us know what the doctor says xx

Knowlesi
23-04-12, 11:54
Morning guys. Well yesterday turned out better than I expected. I perked up by the evening and manged to bath and put the kids to bed which I was really happy about!! I felt pretty good?

Got a bit of my appetite back last night too so was able to have a proper meal. Didn't have the greatest nights sleep so woke again this morning pretty anxty and shaky but have made it to work and am managing to get by.

I called the doc this morning, they operate a very inflexible appointing system and so couldn't get an appointment with a dr till Wednesday. Explained my situation and she reluctantly sent my dr a message to phone me, so I am waiting for a phone call.

So all in all, I feel much better than I did on Saturday but by no means am I out the woods yet.

Thanks for all your help and support guys. Fingers crossed this improvement continues....... :)

alfredo1
23-04-12, 12:39
Hi all, Just to report that I'm on day 6 of ven.

I had a really great saturday, then bang, hit a low yesterday and today i feel really worst.

I did have quite a bit to drink yesterday though but still, can't belive how great I felt on saturday - the best I had in months. I am due on this week though. I've also put on a few pounds in the past week booo :-(

Just reporting in really. Not looking for any answers at all as I do know its early days yet.

xxxxxxxxxx

Pipkin
23-04-12, 18:32
Hi Knowlesi,

Glad to hear you're starting to feel a bit better - you'll definitely feel better for going to work today. It's usually a great distraction, if nothing else.

Did you get a call back from your GP? We also have quite an inflexible booking system and you seem to have to be a psychic and predict when you're going to be ill a couple of days in advance if you want an appointment. Would it be cynical of me to suggest that it's something to do with practices managing their statistics? Surely not! Let us know how you're doing.

Alfredo - alcohol definitely doesn't help, particularly when you drink quite a bit so this could be the cause of your increased anxiety. I still drink at the weekend but have had to drink less and weaker things as I kept waking up with my heart racing and it lasted all day. One tip though is definitely to drink plenty of water as the slightest hint of dehydration makes it much worse.

Take care

Pip x

Knowlesi
25-04-12, 10:33
Hey Pip,

Yes Dr did call and sorted me out some short term relief so for the past couple of nights I've felt as though I have slept much better - just need to sort the kids out now and stop them from waking up in the middle of the night!!

Well I'm on day 8 today and I'm having a bit of a flat one. Yesterday I felt a bit better but not feeling it today. Anx is still pretty high and tiredness is always on the agenda!! Just can't seem to shake it, like I've said previously I've been tired now for weeks/months. Bit sickly too.

Still I'm managing to get into work so just taking each day as it comes and hoping I'll continue to improve. Started CBT last Friday too so I'm hoping that this will also help with the ha demons in my head as they are fighting against the meds. Just need to keep telling myself that it is the anxiety that is making me feel like this and nothing else more sinister.

It is harder than it sounds!!! grrrr :mad:

Hope you're continuing to improve- I'm following the other thread you mentioned :yesyes:.

Take care.

Pipkin
25-04-12, 18:09
Hi Knowlesi,

You're definitely in the path to recovery now and the nausea and dizziness should pass very soon.

These meds really do take some time to work but rest assured that once they do, you'll feel so much better. It happens so gradually that you probably won't notice it for a couple of weeks and then you'll look back and realise.

What did your GP prescribe for you? Whatever they are, keep taking them for a week or 2 and then taper off - you should be fine then.

Take care

Pip x

Carlp3380
26-01-16, 00:38
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum after finding it whilst googling numerous symptoms etc. So Hello....

I'm currently on day 2 of changing from 30mg of Mirtazapine to 75mg of Venlalic XL and have to say have noticed a number of different side affects. Most noticably is the increase in anxiety, I'm really struggling today to keep it together. I've also noticed that my sleep has taken a hit as well since stopping the mirt. I understand this is a symptom too but could really do without right now as I have been so tired for feels like forever. :weep:

One other strange side affect is the amount of yawning I'm doing. It feels strange though after the yawn - almost a 'spcey' or 'trippy' and sometime makes me want to laugh?? Can anyone relate to this?

I would love to hear other peoples experiences from starting Venlalic. I have read a lot of negative posts on this particular ad (in comparison to effexor) so some positive thoughts would be nice. :)

Thanks in advance.
I have found that you feel sick with the venlalic and get night sweats with them