PDA

View Full Version : GPS no longer increase a dose so im told. HELP

TJSMITH
19-04-12, 14:36
Just been told by GP that they are now advised to no longer keep increasing dose but to change meds althogether if not enough change.
I am on 20mg cit and wanted to increase to 30mg as doing alot better but still have negative thoughts was told pills dont help with that only cbt i have to add never had these thoughts before being diagnosed with anxiety and depression.
Can others who have increased advise me as to wether benefited, she did back down and give me the 30mg but now im doubtful.
Please advise if not going to help whats the point..

LAURA48
19-04-12, 16:27
Hi - never heard of that one tbh - don't think you were asking a lot to increase the dosage?

Are these new guidelines? For goodness sake what next! Re CBT you'd be waiting around 4 months for that!

Lots of people are on 40mg of Cit. Are you suffering with irrational thoughts - only I know how you are feeling if you are!

TJSMITH
19-04-12, 16:32
Hi Laura
Yes new guidlines apparenantly, i am now in a state as dont know what to do. Last month this was her plan and today she completley back tracked saying evidence it wont help. I have the higher dose now but if not going to work whats the point.
I am paying for cbt as 4 months a joke in my opinion.
I just dont seem to be able to enjoy anything almost like a grey cloud (better than black yes) hanging around all the time. I therefore thought maybe an increase would help, now im scared to incase doesnt work.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

ps im on 20mg increasing to 30mg

stamags
19-04-12, 18:26
hi
I was on cit for three months and at last weeks appointment with doc I said I didnt think they were helping much as I had developed depression although I was being treated for anxiety and panic. She said that after all that time they were obviously not working and changed me to sert which I am reluctant to start as cant put up with all the side effects again.

TJSMITH
19-04-12, 19:04
Hi Stamags
How long was that and what dose??
i was on 10mg for 2 weeks, then 20mg for last 7 which enabled me to get functioning again so i felt needed a bit more.
I have been given the 30mg now thinking should i have changed completely so hard isnt it

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

ps just seen 3 months, did it not help at all?? i was almost rock bottom before

Ingenious
19-04-12, 19:18
I should imagine a lot depends on exactly what you tell your GP and how you are feeling, they could for example get an idea the drug in general is not working and this is why they might now look to swap earlier. I think this is probably better than blindly relying on dose increases in SOME cases. But I am sure like many here the expectation would be that 20mg of Citalopram should be followed by 30mg or even 40mg before deciding it's not working.

Basically, the whole system is just a complete f**king joke and the sooner someone in power spends some proper money fixing it, and removing ridiculous waiting times for CBT and other therapies, the better. [/rant].

TJSMITH
19-04-12, 19:28
Tell me about it, i am paying for CBT as need now not months down the line plus had to take my son out of country to have an operation due to not being available on NHS.
Thinking may need to pay to see a shrink soon aswell...
I told her that i was functioning again from 10 to 20 which was massive but still felt i wasn't myself. Left with a delemma now do i up it or not hmmmm

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

ps she said no pill deals with negative and dark thoughts, i maybe wrong but thought that was a big sign of depression

Elen
19-04-12, 19:40
TJ This is a long haul not a sprint.

Normally meds help to lift the depression enough to allow other forms of treatment to work.

I know that the waits for CBT can be very long in most places but there is loads you can do for yourself.

I found "Depression The Curse of The Strong" to be a bible.

There are also websites such as Mood Gym and Living Life To The Full that offer on-line CBT.

There is possibly new guidelines for prescribing anti-depressants but you have a script for 30mg so it has to be worth a try.

One thing I do know about most of us is that we are not blessed with patience but unfortunately there is no quick fix.

Wishing you well.

Elen

stamags
19-04-12, 19:43
hi
yeah must have helped but hard to know just how much as have been dizzy for three months so that is really getting me down.has anybody heard of moodgym an online cbt programme, as I work for local authority i also have access to free talking therapy where a councillor calls me every week to chat about my feelings. Have been off work since december and desperate to get back to some kind of normality.

TJSMITH
19-04-12, 20:11
I have also had dizziness for 3 months but gp sure not related at all as i need a virus in Jan that caused dizziness that may have left permanant damage got mri next month.
Elen thanks for the reply, i know not a quick fix i am confused as to why different doses if they not to be increased or help you more??? a friend of mine said should lift depression enough to make you feel as you were before all this, i am left in limbo whereas alot of people can still enjoy life even if its not all the time.

Elen
19-04-12, 20:16
Hi TJ can't comment on the dizziness I am afraid.

Only my opinion but I don't think your friend really knows what they are talking about.

Have a look at the websites and see if they explain things a bit better.

Good luck

Elen

dan1234
19-04-12, 20:20
I have never heard of these guidelines. It would be silly not to increase the dose. I was on citalopram - 20mg did nothing, 40mg helped a little.

TJSMITH
19-04-12, 20:32
Elen
I have done nothing but look lol...my friend was on Citalopram and read a few on here that increased thier dose and got positive effects the internet says used to lift mood therefore decreases the negative/black thoughts also that different doses work different for different people otherwise why have different doses??
Thanks for your reply im grateful of peoples input.
I guess no one can make this decision for me lool

Mo B
19-04-12, 20:38
I took citalopram 20mg for three years several years ago and recovered well but it took about 3-4 months before I felt "normal" My GP tried to up my dose to 30mg but when I did I got more side effects and so went back to 25mg for a week then back to 20mg. stayed on this for nearly three years and it worked well. You do however have to work with it as it cant totally make you ok you have to do a bit yourself.It just gives you a helping hand to get back on track. It took about a year to feel totally great but it did and with 20mg only. Im now, 6yrs later, on Sertraline 50mg as I didnt want to go through the citalopram side effects again as I found them hard to take in the first few weeks. This has now started to work for me Im on week 9. Hope it continues.:) Side effects werent as bad.

Mood Gym is a good online CBT course which im doing at the moment. I found it on the net but my doc said it is well recommended. Its totally free which is a good thing and seems to do all the same things as a therapist would. Im trying this first before seeing a therapist.

Hope you feel better soon

Mo x:hugs:

stamags
19-04-12, 20:44
hi was recommended moodgym after being referred for occupational health assessment by my employers, although i find it takes a bit getting used to i am working my way through it. As you say its free so nothing to loose.

TJSMITH
19-04-12, 20:53
Thanks Mo
I have been doing the moodgym for couple of months but couldnt concentrate lol...
I just function but still a cloud hanging about going to try 25mg and see what happens i dont think will go straight to 30mg its worth a try.

---------- Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

ps Mo
im assuming you came off meds for a while?? as you say now on Sertaline. A few seem to change to that one with good results

Elen
19-04-12, 20:55
I couldnt get on with moodgym but did find "Living Life To The Full" more on my wavelength.

I think that there are also on-line courses that your GP can refer you for

Ingenious
19-04-12, 23:06
Thanks for the website suggestions in this thread - have bookmarked these to have a look later :)

Mo B
20-04-12, 09:48
TJ

Yes had been off Citalopram for several years but had things happening in my life early this year. Probs at work, family illness that tipped me over the edge again. I didnt think Id ever be in this position again as Ive been really good since the citalopram. TBH its only because the Cit was so good for me that I decided to use anti D's again to help this time. Doc recommended Sert as side effects not as bad in beginning as Cit although it does take longer to work! It seems to be working at the moment. Fingers crossed it continues. I think Citalopram is a good med when you become used to it which takes several months usually. I think its a good idea to go up in 5mg increases. Also when reducing its best to do it very slowly and so avoid bad side effects. I did this when coming off Cit despite the doc telling me to do it faster ! Unless they have taken these meds they havent a clue how you feel ! I recommend the book The Antidepressant Solution by Joseph Glenmullen.I followed his advice when reducing and it worked.

Hope you are ok today and everyone else on this thread .Onwards & Upwards gang :hugs: