PDA

View Full Version : Fluid down nose - worried

sunflower7
19-04-12, 16:34
:weep: I keep getting clear fluid coming down my right nostril and am worried its a spinal fluid leak as its only happening with one nostril. My Doctor just dismissed me and said it's allergies but I havent had allergies before. The fluid tastes salty and I read spinal fluid tastes salty. It happens when I am sitting down and sometimes when I bend down. Please help me :weep:

flossie
19-04-12, 17:27
Sounds like snot to me. Nasal drip I think they call it. I have that problem too, all year round but especially at the moment with all the daffodils and hyacinths in flower. If it persists and is getting a problem you could ask your GP or the pharmacist if they can recommend an antihistamine for you to see if that helps.

sherylee xx
19-04-12, 18:19
iv had this before hun sometimes its uncontrollable and will just drip out its mingin lol and its clear fluid iv had it on and off for ages hun xx

mikewales
19-04-12, 18:30
Either a cold, or hay fever. You can develop hay fever at any age, and its common for adults in their mid 20's onwards to get it, even if they havent had it before.

AutumnRose92
19-04-12, 18:52
I cannot pretend to be any kind of expert in this field but I often have a runny nose (one nostril or both) when I do not have a cold and I have no known allergies either... I have always assumed it is just a 'normal' thing and nothing to be concerned by....
Are there other symptoms of a spinal fluid leak? And do you have them? If so there is no harm in mentioning it to your GP again if you are really worried- it is your health after all!
But as your GP did not seem too concerned in this instance I think I agree with the others on the forum in saying that it is highly unlikely it is anything serious.
But if you are really worried get a second opinion, I know what it is like to be really worried about something whilst others think you are paranoid!!

Best wishes.

sunflower7
21-04-12, 12:58
Thanks for your help everyone. I am so scared and its taking over my life. I feel a hundred times worse when I google so am trying not to. x

Acidomoduso
21-04-12, 17:19
I had sinus problems at the end of last year and i woke up early one morning, blew my nose and thought i had a nosebleed out of my left nostril. It wasn't a nosebleed but clear fluid. Just after that it turned bright red and then i went' to the docs to get some antibiotics. That was the worst episode i had.

Point is... it could be your sinuses playing up or any number of things (as mentioned above). Most spinal fluid leaks are cause by a major trauma to the head or brain surgery. I would suggest that there isn't anything to worry about. It will clear up. If it doesn't, back to the docs!

Hope you feel better.

Em84
22-04-12, 06:57
Hi

I've had an allergy thing going since december...either one or the other nostril was running with clear stuff...I would be wiping my nose all the time...
The that got worse over the next few months as the amount increased so I started coughing where it was dripping down my throat, had throat infection and sinus issues to follow.
I have had 3 courses of antibiotics,,,,didnt do anything and on going back to the doctor about a month ago he said allergy...I've been on beconase nasal spray which hasn't made much of a difference but I just have to get on with it now I guess.....

Thing is I can't figure out what would be an allergen in the winter months so I'm now forever hoovering and stuff

Try some allergy meds and see how it goes

X

xtremx
22-04-12, 11:18
My this thread has me thinking, a few weeks ago i had a very bad pains around right side of my face (Burning) and for about 3 days i had discharge from my right nostril that started of clear and then turned to orange for 3 days it was strange have never had that before.

I take it as being a allergy and maybe some burst blood vessels turning the discharge from clear to orange.

But the thing is after that I am still here.

sunflower7
22-04-12, 18:30
Thanks for your help everyone. I am still worried but am also worried about the tight chest I keep getting out of the blue. Has anyone else had this? I feel tired and keep yawning for a while after.