PDA

View Full Version : Night time panic attacks?

thinkpink
19-04-12, 19:20
Hello all,

I'm really interested to hear from anyone who wakes up in the night with panic attacks. I call mine terror attacks because they are so terrifying. It's really hard for me to describe the symptoms but I always end up thinking of going crazy. I read a lot about the physical symptoms of panic but rarely about the kind of thoughts people have. When I'm in the middle of an attack I have the most horrifying thoughts and images in my head almost like a scene from a horror movie playing out. I feel like I can't tell people about this because if I went into details people would almost certainly think I'm crazy :weep:For example last night I woke up with my heart thumping out of my body and I felt like I was going to collapse. I started to panic about losing control and I felt like I was about to start screaming because the panic was so consuming and suffocating. I had scary images in my head of losing control and harming myself. I had a really distressing image pass through my head of slitting my throat. I know that sounds mad and I am so ashamed to tell anyone. I started to panic because I almost convinced myself that I had done it, and I put my hand to my neck to check there was no blood. I couldn't seem to calm down and I convinced myself I must have gone crazy. Does this sound like psychosis? I spoke to a gp today and he said I am not crazy, yet these thoughts are terrifying. I am so embarrassed and ashamed to even write this things. Please tell me that I am not the only one who has felt this way.

Stormsky
19-04-12, 20:03
Anxiety call roll over into our sleep... i have awoken many times in what i persume is panic, feeling confused, scared, feelings of despair, unreality, terror... felt lost in limbo and couldnt find my way back to reality and the land of the living.... horrible feeling...
If it happens i just say now, ok not interested im going back to sleep, and pay it no attention, and i do just go to sleep....
Intrusive thoughts of harming yourself are also quite common, ive had those too...
your not going crazy, although it feels it... dont let that become a fear, the more you fear that, the more youll feel it...
ive managed to let all my fears go now, and thats what anxiety is, the fear of things... you have to let go of your fears to get rid of anxiety...
im on the recovery road thankgod, and youll get there too..
Positive thinking is key to recovery though...

thinkpink
19-04-12, 20:40
Thank you stormsky,

It's a huge relief to know that you understand, thank you. I am fearful of sleeping tonight in case the same thing happens again but if it does perhaps I will be better prepared this time. I will think of your words of advice. It's so hard to think rationally and logically when you're in the middle of these things. It just feels like I have absolutely no control over my thoughts or my mind. I need to try and take back this control. I can't keep living afraid.

Stormsky
19-04-12, 20:59
coming out of sleep suddenly, you dont have control over thoughts so much... so try to just say, ok im not scared and im going back to sleep now....
dont fear going to bed, will make you worse, just say 'im going to sleep fine tonight and even if i do awake im not scared, nothing bad will happen to me anyway...its just my anxiety and no more than that'

needhelp1
19-04-12, 21:38
almost several days i felt like you..i was scared to go sleep, because i thought i wont wake up tomorrow,but its not true...even yesterday my heart was like vibrating at last nothing to be happend..dont worry for this you will be alright:)

isthisasgdasitgets
19-04-12, 23:08
I totally understand how you feel. I can wake up in the night in panic, mind racing, sweats etc. Sometimes I have real vivid dreams that make it worse. It can be really scary and like you think I'm going to loosing the plot etc. What I try and do is just ignore it and fall back to sleep. Sometimes I can just wake up in the morning feeling anxious.
If it's not with you in the day it gets you in the night...bliming stalker this anxiety!!!

needhelp1
19-04-12, 23:27
during bed time why dont you count numbers from backward..start from 250,249,248.......3,2,1..do it slowly ,before you reach 100 u might be sleeping..leave your fear as they are not really dangerous to you