PDA

View Full Version : Nobody understands :-(

Morag130
20-04-12, 13:56
Hey everyone,

Quick summary, I have had anxiety since I was 16 and also have Epropic beats, but been ok and managed to handle them alone, and still live a fun and normal life. Im only 22 so still means going out, holidays thrill seeking etc,

But the last 3 months it's spirraled out of control so much I cant leave the house, left my job, can't even drive my car due to the worst panick attack being in the car and I was alone, and I am unable to go out with my friends or even do the normal stuff with my bf.

But I was told to tell all my friends and family by my doctor while I wait for therapy they can help me. Well I've had my friends and family round looking after me and not leavin my side.

I've posted a couple times on the site in the last few days, I had an interview the other day which I made it to got in the room but I had to leave due to I was panicking and seizing up. I just couldn't do it or stay there to panick more. It was a group interview an the pressure of bein in a room with loads people n prob having to stand up in public I just couldn't do it ( but previously I could stand up and talk in public no problem. Had so much confidence before now)

Yesterday my friend encouraged me to go to my local shopping centre and get my nails n make up done and she will come with me and be by my side, I was anxious and had to take a time out and sit down b breath and have a water. My friend was amazing and I started to relax an feel comfortable.

So that evening I went into London for a photo shoot I was scheduled to do but was on and off doing it due to my condition. But I went I felt like I had a good day and was relaxed and comfortable with my mate. The underground was a massive struggle and had constant pressure on my chest and kept my eyes closed for most of the journey and concentrated on my breathing.

But I managed the hole day and evening, was so proud of my self. I went for it without the baby steps. Even my friend said i done really well. I felt so good.

BUT......

Now my boyfriend especially and my other friiends and family don't understand how I could do all that and not go through with the interview and they are pressuring me drive my car even tho it's the place I recently had my worst panick attack.

How can I make them understand. My bf hates me at the moment. And doesn't understand. I done so well then everyone is bringing me down again! He just thinks I have a heart problem and not thinking of it in the mental side of it. (if that makes sense) doesn't realise most of this is in my head!)

:-( please help.

Xx

monika
20-04-12, 15:19
Sorry to hear this. People who haven't experienced panic and anxiety can never 100% fully understand, sympathize and relate to your feelings. This makes it hard for them to get what's going on with you. At the same time, don't be angry with them. It's frustrating that they don't get it but don't let it cause a rift between you and them. Many people find it helpful to get their partners to read books or articles on the subject so they understand it's not just you that this is happening to, but there are millions like you suffering.
Family and friends can either really hinder recovery or really create a huge stepping stone for you. Let's hope you can get them to be supportive! :bighug1:

sarahjb
20-04-12, 21:50
hi, Sorry you are not having a great time. Thats great that you got out and your friend sounds like she understands. I have GAD and it goes up and down all the time. When I am at work I am completely different. explain to them that there are no set rules for anxiety. What goes for today might not work tomorrow. Dont drive your car unless you feel you can. maybe try sitting in it for a little while and build it up slowly. drive it to the end of the street and back.
To truely understand you need to have been there. its not easy. Try and stay positive.:)Sarah

Jamesflames
21-04-12, 07:42
I also have difficulty explaining the complicated and weird little rules surrounding agorophobic feelings to my family and friends so I think I understand.

I hope you get it sorted out as it can't be helping your anxiety.

Morag130
22-04-12, 19:22
Thanks a lot for your responses, hope your all well and handling your day :-)

So my bf was back the weekend, I let him read my post on here and the responses, but he still had no idea, his frustrated that I can do one thing and not another, but he doesn't understand. I tried, but I explained my feeling and his gonna help me and he pushed me to get out the weekend. Parks and a little shop which I was anxious at first but after a while of being out I calmed down.

guess that's all I can do. Atleast his gonna be there even if he has no clue.

Xxx

monika
22-04-12, 19:59
Perhaps it's good in a way that he is helping you get out! There really is nothing to be afraid of and even though he may not be doing it in the most delicate way it is still helpful :) Hes just trying to get you back to you