PDA

View Full Version : night panics?

hjm70
05-07-06, 08:42
hi guys me again!

just recently ive been waking up at night with a feeling like someone is leaning on my chest and my heart is racing and it makes me feel really panic-y one night it was so bad and i felt like i was going to pass out and my hubby called an ambulance [V] they didnt take me to hospital but they did an e.c.g and they said it looked ok. but it keeps happening, can you really have panic attacks in your sleep?? its really freaking me out coz i think it could be my heart!

Elle-Kay
05-07-06, 10:26
Someone else has posted on this this morning, too. Here:

Middle of the night panic attack (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11382)

I've heard before that there are several (three I think) different stages to sleep, and only the last one is where you are getting quality sleep. Perhaps you are so tense before you go to bed that you aren't getting to that quality sleep stage as your mind is still "on the look out" for perceived 'dangers'? Could you try relaxing hard before you go to bed - have a lavender bubble bath, have some lavender pillow spray, or listen to a relaxation CD?

Leah xx

--- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

gret
05-07-06, 14:34
Hi,
My panic attacks usually hit me about a half hour or hour into my sleep. It is very aggravating because I'm just getting to sleep and I'm so tired. I think that I have stressful days being a teacher and then stressful evenings with four children and when I lay down it all catches up with me. It's like my body and mind are fighting each other. I usually get up and distract myself with the computer or the television until I get so tired that I dose off. I'm wondering about trying yoga before bedtime. I've worked on the breathing techniques suggested before going to bed, but I still wake up panicky.

gret
05-07-06, 14:37
I forgot to mention also a technique that a former colleague suggested. She said to lay on the floor and prop your legs straight up against the wall. This with the deep breathing technique has really helped my rapid heart beat. Good luck!

joanne w
05-07-06, 21:13
hi i have panic attacks in my sleep its really scary,i wake up gasping for breath.i dont understand it because im not thinking of anything
jo xxx

polly daydream
06-07-06, 00:31
Me too, I have woken several times with my heart racing, which is no doubt a panic attack, even had the heart tests.

Best wishes,

Polly

xoxbabygalxox
06-07-06, 11:05
i to suffer from this and have been told that its just my subconcious still thinkin of the anxiety! some nights are worse then others and i feel that when its hot it doesnt help! just try and get fully realxed before you go to sleep i usually have a nice bath as that helps me to relax! take care xx

al76
26-09-06, 16:15
hi,

I'm new so just reading up on some old topics. My night panics are a bit aggressive, in that i wake up at least 2 times a week about 30 minutes after going to bed and it's always 'jumping out of the bed, swinging my arms' type panic.

So it's a bit like a nightmare crossed with a panic attack, but i can never remember too much, but my heart is normally racing for the next 15 minutes.

take care.
Al