PDA

View Full Version : Coping strategies when anxiety sky high

LAURA48
21-04-12, 18:34
Hi just wonder what you do when anxiety is sky high without resorting to meds - you know the bad days.

How do you make it easier - only today my anxiety levels have been bad despite being taken out for the day?? I feel I have had my quota of benzos for today and will not take any more but tbh they haven't been hitting the spot.

Anyone with good advice?

Thanks in advance Laura:hugs:

katsen
21-04-12, 18:53
I tend to do some breathing exercises and mentally tell myself to STOP, seems to help most of the time and if It don't then I wake up the hubby (at night) or cat (during day) and we chat till im calm......

LAURA48
21-04-12, 19:02
Hi Kat - thanks for that - yes hubby usually snoring his head off and I'm churning - horrid though - bad day today:weep:

Anxious_gal
21-04-12, 19:18
Try to accept the anxiety rather than fight it.
Writing down your thoughts can be helpful .
Relax your tummy , it'll help you breath easier .
The Seditives won't get rid of mental anxiety .

LAURA48
21-04-12, 19:40
Thanks Mishel - will try/will do that!

nicola1980
21-04-12, 19:45
This prob sounds really daft but when my anxiety is sky high i take myself off to bed and lie there with my eyes closed and imagine an angels wings wrapped tight safely around me xx

pinkdove
21-04-12, 19:54
laura do you have a relaxation cd, if not invest in one, use some headphones and lie down on a bed or couch, it works for me, although it might not last all day it does bring you down from a high state of anxiety, and over time you learn new coping strategies, hope this helps hun xxx

LAURA48
21-04-12, 19:56
Nicola that is sweet - in fact I have a pair of Angels on my bedside cabinet - to look over me - love angels and all that.

Pink - think I will get a relaxation cd - good ideas was only thinking that one.

Anyone heard from poor Joy I have messaged her but I am worried about her and the treatment she has received poor lady

MrRedShirt
21-04-12, 20:01
Laura, here are loads of relaxation sessions on youtube if that works out practically for you.. find one and maybe hook up some headphones, or just have it playing from a laptop?

pinkdove
21-04-12, 20:05
laura the one i have is hypnotic relaxation cd, i don't know what its called my sister in law copied and gave it to me, she got it from her pysc. it really is very relaxing. the guy can really talk you down, so maybe look for a hypnotic relaxation cd. good luck hun xx

snowgoose
21-04-12, 20:05
Hi Laura :)
I love the idea of angels too ...........it is very comforting .
I go outside Laura and sit on the step no matter the weather [unless bleating down snow ] .........do my breathing and absorb what is around me . and concentrate hard on that . birdsong .traffic ,lights etc ............
the cold air helps it really does . have cold drink as well and have good drink of it .it kind of diverts your mind on to physical sensation if you get me :blush:
sounds batty I know but being outside in the open air does help :hugs:
take care xx

pinkdove
21-04-12, 20:12
laura pm me your email i am going to try and send you this cd as my son pit on my laptop, i will try my best to get it to you x

angel wings
21-04-12, 20:12
Hi Laura
i take myself of to bed and just lay there quite and try to relax i also have a relaxation cd that i listen to sometimes and it helps also try and read a book or magazine to try a divert my mind it is hard though when your minds racing i tell myself i can get though this over and over :hugs:xx

LAURA48
21-04-12, 21:25
Pink - was just speaking to my brother about them and he has that one - he says he has many - but said the hypnotic one is good - so thanks for that.

In fact thank for all your help.

Strange - if anyone has Dr Claire Weekes books she says go somewhere or sit on a step - snowgoose and listen to noises - to distract your mind!

Good ideas there.

Thanks Laura xx

jamesthecat
22-04-12, 10:00
ive read that pinching the skin between thumb and forefinger reduces anxiety, its some kind of pressure point. also massaging your wrist in circular motions whilst putting quite a lot of pressure on can also help.