PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and insomnia

annabell
22-04-12, 02:57
I am new to forum. Does anyone suffer from severe anxiety, palpitations, or racing heart when they have slept poorly? How do you cope? Is the tachycardia, palpitations harmful?

countrygirl
24-04-12, 14:32
When you say slept badly do you mean having almost no sleep?? If so then it is totally normal when sleep deprived to feel shakey, dizzy and have either or a pounding heart or fast heartbeat. People who are not anxious at all would get this if they were kept awake for most of a night.

What are you sleep problems???

I have spells of terrible anxiety triggered if for some reason I cannot fall asleep and can last for weeks or even months and I need to use sleeping pills for a short time.

buffybot
24-04-12, 22:39
Palpitations are not harmful but normal although they are awful! Sometimes I get the awful snap noise just before I drop off there is a section on here about this if it is a problem for you too. If this happens I take sleeping pills for a while until it passes.
Panic attacks certainly can keep you awake and again sleeping pills are useful here as well. Don't worry about getting addicted to sleeping pills this only happens if you have been on them a long time your GP will give you a short course until the cycle breaks up and you can sleep well again on your own.

annabell
25-04-12, 21:48
Palpitations are not harmful but normal although they are awful! Sometimes I get the awful snap noise just before I drop off there is a section on here about this if it is a problem for you too. If this happens I take sleeping pills for a while until it passes.
Panic attacks certainly can keep you awake and again sleeping pills are useful here as well. Don't worry about getting addicted to sleeping pills this only happens if you have been on them a long time your GP will give you a short course until the cycle breaks up and you can sleep well again on your own.

Thankyou for sharing that as I have been told insomnia does not cause palpitations, that it is just anxiety. But I have severe palpitations with missed sleep. Are you sure they are not harmful? Feels at that time like my heart is giving out, different from anxiety or panic.
What is a good sleeping pill? That will not cause daytime anxiety or palpitations, as I have experienced the with ativan.. Someone has told me to try Zoplicone, have you used that? Any side effects?
Thankyou for your help

buffybot
26-04-12, 14:48
I use Nitrazepam but not often as it knocks you out! there are plenty of alternatives you can ask your GP about and if you are worried about the phsyical problems it will not hurt to talk to your Dr about it to rest your mind. I used to use a Antihistamine pill that worked well it was a little blue pill but I can not remember what is was called it was so long ago but it was not as strong as the Nitrazepam.
I know nothing about Zoplicone but you can do a web search to find out about like on net Dr which is good for advice.

Good luck

Brent

MrRedShirt
26-04-12, 14:51
Hi I use zopiclone, I've had it for a couple of weeks due to the start up effects of an AD.

I find it works really well, I take it just before I go to bed. It leaves a taste in your mouth the next day which some find really unpleasant (although I don't really notice it much). Some report feeling tired the next day, but I don't get that either.