PDA

View Full Version : confused about whether it's depression or anxiety

littleredhen
23-04-12, 09:21
I'm still struggling to come to terms with whether I'm suffering depression or anxiety. For over twenty years I have been medicated and having treatment for depression, but since reading these forums and meeting people here I now think that actually I've been having chronic anxiety and panic attacks. I don't know whether I'm coming or going and don't really understrand the differince - or even if there is a difference. I cry all the time (though do occasionally have good days when I feel ok with the world and my place in it), but now I don't know if this because I'm am depressed, or whether I'm just over compassionate and senstive or because anxiety and panic has just worn me out and I can't handle anything and just get overwhelmed with everything.

how do you know? I'm feeling that GPs just prescribe antidepressants for everything. And that in itself is a major cause of one of my angers and upsets (that my gp told me not to have kids while I was on antidepressants and I've been on them so long that now it's too late for me :weep:).

Geoff2301
23-04-12, 15:11
must admit I get confused too!....... particularly as I was diagnosed with a mixed depression anxiety disorder. I always thought I had depression but I don't get tearful and cry........ just feel tense/anxious a lot of the time, lack motivation and don't seem to get much pleasure from anything.

theharvestmouse
26-04-12, 20:55
They often go hand in hand, I suffer from mild depression due to the anxiety, I get depressed because of how the anxiety affects my life. This could be similar to what the little red hen is feeling.

Stormsky
26-04-12, 21:17
I had anx induced depression. They clearly have a difference to me tho. Anx is racing heart,nervy,scared,panicky,fearful thoughts...
Depression for me was doom and gloom,not getting up,sad,no point to life,didn't care if I died.