PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations/Acid Reflux and so much worry!

nicotine
23-04-12, 18:39
Hi there!

I am having a really bad time of it at the moment :weep:

For the last week I've felt constantly awful and anxious since I had a particularly bad panic attack at work where I walked through a door and my head seemed to spin as my stomach dropped and I have been petrified about it ever since. I thought I was going to drop dead!

Im not sure if it may have triggered bad acid reflux or if it was already coming on or not, because ever since I keep getting the worst feeling in my stomach like its dropping and my head goes funny and I have no idea what that is. I've also had the symptoms; acid regurgitation, belching a lot, nausea, hoarse voice, chest pains, fatigue, malaise, pinching sensations in my stomach, sore throat, palpitations, bad taste in mouth, getting out of breath easy. I just can't figure out what's happening to me, but I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to get an opinion, and to put my foot down about getting referred for an ECG which I have been fobbed off my doctor about for to long.

The worst thing though is I am to petrified to do anything and feel unwell all day. I haven't been to work for a week now, I told my boss I would come in today but then didn't because I couldn't face it. I just feel so dreadful but no fever or illness that can be put down to a virus or something.

Ive looked up acid reflux and gerd so much but I am not reassured, as the condition is not associated with symptoms like palpitations, fatigue or a general feeling of being unwell, so now Im worried it is something else and keep thinking it might be mitral valve prolapse AND gerd at the same time?

I am obsessing to much over dr google unfortunately and not getting any answers which is making me depressed as I want to feel human again and I am worried my jobs at stake and I can't afford to loose any wages being of sick at all.

Im so very down and feeling sick! Hopefully the doctor will help me feel encouraged.

Anyways, enough rambling... I was wondering if anyone else gets palpitations and tiredness from gerd/acid reflux? I just feel like I can't do anything!

Thanks guys x

xvolatileheart
23-04-12, 22:35
I'm going through the exact same thing. Our symptoms sound very similar! I've recently figured out it may be acid reflux that is causing my chest pain, but like you, I get palpitations, as well as lightheadedness, fatigue, belching, breathing problems, etc. I also know that dropped stomach feeling/head sensation so well, it's AWFUL. Then my heart starts pounding and racing. I think I'm going to drop dead everytime, but it's just panic. I haven't taken any time off work but want to so badly.

I've had an ECHO (no results yet) and having a 24 hour ECG next week. Just want this nightmare to be over. Helps to know we're not alone though!

sebinkent
23-04-12, 22:58
The symptoms you describe definitely sound like acid reflux (burning sensation, hoarse voice etc) You are stressing yourself out by worrying about it which is causing symptoms of anxiety (palpitations) Stay away from Dr Google!
Acid reflux is easily treated - once that is sorted, your anxiety symptoms should go away too. :)

Meg37
23-04-12, 23:03
I am having this at the minute too. I take omeprazole which limits your stomach acid but I still get really bad heart skips, especially when I eat in the evening, it's like stuff has built up in the day and doesn't have anywhere to go. I often have like a burning brick feeling in my stomach. I have had about five ecgs in the last six weeks all good. The dr has heard one of the skipped beats and said it is an extrasystoles, there is no doubt in my mind though it is caused by something going on I n my tummy. My dr also thinks I have irritable bowel. I hope you feel better soon, I know it's hard to do but please don't worry, all ruses things are mega stressful and awful at the time but I bet you it won't be anything awful.

nicotine
26-04-12, 19:54
Thanks guys for all your informative replies! Its such a relief to read!

I went to the doctors a few days ago, still no ecg's planned, but she put my mind at ease alot and prescribed Lansoprazole to relieve the acid.

She checked my heart with the stethoscope anyway and said my heart sounded very healthy no murmur's or ticks. She also examined my stomach which was painful and tender! She said she thinks its mainly been brought on by anxiety, and said it looks to be gastritis and IBS.

Im not stressing for the time being, Im still belching alot and my throat keeps tensing up a bit but no acid at all! Im still getting headaches though. The doctor also upped my dose of citalopram.

Its crazy really, but I can see the light, and I am quite staggered really how worked up I got, and can now see how much the anxiety and worry really gave me grief within my digestive system! But it all makes sense now I have calmed down considerably, and the chest pains are virtually gone and the palps. My head still keeps going a little funny, but Im no longer AS worried that Im going to die when this happens. Its taken a few days but gradually im feeling more relaxed and in turn, no acid, no stomach pinching pains, no diarrhea etc.

I think these digestive issues that arise out of anxiety and panic play a big role in chest pain and palpitations, two of the scariest symptoms for anxiety sufferers! They are very closely linked, and with aggravating breathing. I kept getting so out breath when the acid was taking over me!

Thanks again guys :bighug1:

scouser1959
27-04-12, 14:37
hi nicotine, im goin thro the exact same and have since 2008, had loads of heart tests and doc says its acid reflux, but the pains in my chest and missed heart beats scare me witless!!