PDA

View Full Version : Tried to stop Venlaflaxine

sonnyred7
24-04-12, 13:49
Hello all,

I've been trying recently to come off Venlafaxine (75mg) against my GP's advice and thought I was doing ok but started to get really anxious earlier today and I guess I got scared and took one tablet. This is after being off them for about a week. During that time my mood felt better than it has for a good while. Now I just don't know what to do for the best. I really thought I was going to be able to come off them. I should point out I've also stopped taking Mirtazapine recently and I'm also taking Olanzapine (5mg) daily.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Annip
26-04-12, 11:35
Hi sonnyred7. I tried to come off Venlafaxine (75mg) recentlyas I had been on it for a year and felt really good. I reduced it very slowly but suddenley after 2 weeks, started to feel anxious and had a very low mood. So I restarted tmy full dose. I wish I'd never tried to do it. It has taken me over 8 weeks to get back to feeling normal again. If there is no reason to stop I wouldn't and take your doctors advice. Regards annip

sonnyred7
26-04-12, 12:31
Hi thanks for your reply. I have a feeling that Venlafaxine is actually making me more depressed. Having tried without it for almost two weeks my mood seemed better but I was struggling to deal with the anxiety which I guess is part of the withdrawel. I really feel that I'm stuck on medication that might not even be doing me any good.

Pipkin
26-04-12, 13:30
Hi Sonny,

I have come off venlafaxine twice before and, although I know it's not easy (a wee bit of an understatement but I'm trying to be positive), it is possible. The only real way to do it is through perseverence and just living with the withdrawal symptoms while they last. I'm taking ven again now and had no hesitation starting it again as it works really well for me and I know that it is possible to come off it.

If you really want to stop, my advice is to bite the bullet and just try your best to live with the effects for a couple of weeks. By then, you will be over the worst.

Take care

Pip xx