PDA

View Full Version : Having a bout with slow heart rate, very strange sensations

benjamin222
26-04-12, 01:15
During periods of high anxiety, my heart has always been fast. Lately, the last few days, it's been beating irregularly and slow. I've already gotten all the standard tests to rule out heart disease, but I'm sure you all know the fears can persist.

<removed by admin>. What I'm experiencing now is extremely scary. Right before falling asleep, my heart will slow down so much that it feels like it has completely stopped pumping. After about 2-3 seconds of my heart not beating at all, suddenly I'll have an intense palpitation and my heart will then start to carry on as normal, only to have the same thing happen again about 10-15 seconds later.

My doctors (yes, doctors... as in more than one. I've been "doctor shopping") are now so sick of hearing me talk about my heart that it's become an embarrassment to continue seeing them. It's been getting to the point where they just see me for 5 minutes, tell me "Ben, we've checked your heart numerous times now, there's nothing wrong with it" and they send me on my way.

Anyway, can any of you relate? Slow heart rate and strange palpitations right before falling asleep?

Em84
26-04-12, 07:53
Hi Ben

I wrote about this last night as I've been getting this all the time...Rather than the full speed heartbeat which I do have on occasions, My heartbeat tends to slow right down especially going to bed (sometimes it scares me to go to sleep)

Happens at night to be honest anytime I rest...

My heart will be beating really slow then every 10 20 seconds it stops them a thumping sensation happens and it starts again. Still slow though

I remember looking about google ages ago about the typical resting heartbeat etc etc...ended up scaring myself...now I have a slight anxiety about my heart as well as everything else.*

I did once read somewhere that anxiety can cause slow heartbeat as well so I put it down to this...the doctor never tests me for anything so I have to rely on that as the problem....

Your not alone trust me...
Hopefully you don't have my habit of checking the pulse every 5 mins lol

X
:yesyes:

benjamin222
26-04-12, 10:49
Wow! So yeah... SAME EXACT thing going on with both of us! And as far as the pulse checking... gotta say I'm absolutely guilty of that. In fact for me checking every 5 minutes would be an improvement! From a young age I've gotten really good at checking my pulse without touching any part of my body. It's rare for me to not be conscious of my heart rate.

Once again Em, you're always there to re-assure me! Can't thank you enough.

Em84
26-04-12, 11:49
Your welcome :hugs:

For me its def reassuring to see someone having the same problem

x

xvolatileheart
26-04-12, 19:53
I get this same thing. I sometimes feel like I've stopped breathing too, and it jolts me awake.

Amysunshine
26-04-12, 22:44
I went to hospital for this because it happened at night, had an ultrasound scan on my heart and was diagnosed with ectopic beats which is completely common and normal x