PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good anxiety/depression book?

AngelHeart
26-04-12, 12:25
I've got Claire Weekes 'Self help for your nerves' which is really good and I would highly recommend and Alenandra Massey 'Beat Depression and reclaim your life' which is okish , but wondering if theres any better books out that you could recommend please? Or do you think they would all just say the say thing, to accept what your feeling and dont fear the symptoms, be patient, and it will pass?

Thank you xxx

Mo B
26-04-12, 13:47
Hi Angel Heart.

There is something I saw on one of these posts that is really good for anxiety etc. It takes rather a long time to read it but I think its brill! Go to
http://nothing works.weebly.com/
The ideas are similar to Claire Weekes but with a more upto date approach. Take a look its free too !:)
I ended up printing it. It has helped change my way of thinking .

Mo x

MrRedShirt
26-04-12, 13:49
Hi, take a look at David Burns' book - particularly 'When Panic Attacks' and 'The Feeling Good Handbook'.

They certainly don't advise 'just accepting it'.. in fact quite the opposite!

They're mainly based on CBT techniques, and written in a very approachable style.

buffybot
26-04-12, 14:29
I am reading CBT for Dummies and I have Depression for Dummies as well. They are a yellow/black book cover and can be cheap if bought second hand normally they are around 15 -16 pound new but I bought mine for £5 each in a second hand book shop.
They are a easy read and make it easy to understand the subject you are reading about so for I am impressed with the CBT for dummies book and I have only read the first 4 chapters : ) away to go yet!
Also the coping books are good as well like Coping successfully with panic attacks by Shirley Ticklett or Coping with anxiety and depression also by the same author.
The claire weeke books are also very good as someone has already said.

Good luck

Brent

AngelHeart
26-04-12, 23:19
Awww thank you all, some really good suggestions for me there ! I'm gonna end up with a library full of anxiety and depression books lol :D xxxx

saro
27-04-12, 10:01
Overcoming anxiety - Helen Kennerley

Its a brilliant book which helped me get control of my anxiety.

ems73
27-04-12, 11:23
"Thrive" by Rob Kelly, very very good