PDA

View Full Version : pregnant and husband addicted to valium, help please

h18geh
26-04-12, 15:05
Hi all, i am 20 weeks pregnant, my husband has always had big problems with flying and has always been offered Diazepam to take before and during flying. This has never caused a problem other than being abit groggy for a few days after flying.
In early april my husband went off on a 6 day stag, he went to the doctors to get his 28 tablet prescription as normal, spoke to me every day (though thoroughly intoxicated) he told me he'd taken three 5mg tablets on the way out but on returning back to the uk after having been drunk for 6 days solid he had taken 6 5mg tablets due to a bad flight.
i thought nothing of it as he has used this drug before and the symptoms tend to fade within a few days but he has gradually got more and more withdrawn, i accused him of having cheated on me on the stag as i found a rather odd email, he is being very secretive with his phone and had changed his passcode so i can no longer open it. Just under a week ago he admitted that he has been taking Diazepam regularly for 3 months and that he can't get off it, he said that he is getting it from his gp on the basis that he flies alot with work (which he doesn't) he has since told me that he has been taking it because of the angsiety of this pregnancy and pending implications it will have on his future, and that he sits on our driveway and takes a tablet before coming in to see me (which was heartbreaking to hear).

He has fully admitted that he has got a problem but is lying to everyone about going to the doctors to get some help, his family are also aware and like me are doing everything they possibly can.
He is acting stranger and stranger as the days go on and i don't know what to do, he shuts me out for most of the day then comes home ignores me and only speaks to me when he is in bed and feeling 'off' because of a comedown, he tells me he loves me, still wants to be intimate with me and lets me soothe him when he wakes in the night with paranoia and angsiety.
I honesty don't know what to do, i am struggling to keep it together with having a high risk pregnancy which has left me on bed rest for months and months and i don't know what to do to help my husband, i just want him back, it's like a stranger living in our house, he's also taken off his wedding ring but had no reason when i asked why.. what can i do he just won't get help.

Liseyloo
09-07-12, 22:47
Hi, i read your post and felt compelled to reply. My husband too is addicted to Diazepam, the fact that your husband has admitted to having a problem is surely a good thing, would he go back to the doctors to talk to them? Maybe you could go with him? My hubby has suffered from anxiety and panic since being a boy, has tried all sorts of medication and then found diazepam, which seemed to help. We went to India a few years ago where you can just buy it over the counter so he bought quite a lot to bring home. He used to take them on an ad-hoc basis. He now needs them to function on a day to say basis. I confronted him time again and he denied a dependence until 6-8weeks ago. We are now embarking on a journey of tapering him off them.
I hope that you can sort things out before your baby arrives, I know it's hard but try not to stress out too much as its not good for baby. We too have 2 small children x

BobbyDog
10-07-12, 05:59
I am not really qualified to comment on this situation, but, have you tried contacting Narcotics Anonymous, I am sure that they offer support to families of people who suffer from drug dependency.

I am sorry that this situation has come about when you already have so much else on your mind, it is difficult enough being pregnant, when you have stability in your life.

:welcome: