PDA

View Full Version : ANXIETY to do with breathing and heartbeat

anxietysufferer1
26-04-12, 20:18
hi everyone,

I have suffered with anxiety for a long long time now and am ather used to it but i've been having problems recently and can't really get my mind off it. I am a psychology student and I read something about the power of the mind and am now obsessed and worried that the mind may be able to stop my breathing or heart beat. I would be grateful for any advice from anyone or to hear from anyone who had/has similar/the same problems.

love to all,

Laura

charsey
27-04-12, 01:11
When I first started to go through HA my symptoms were with my heart rate and breathing although it wasn't where I thought I could stop myself breathing or heart beating. Sorry it's not exactly what you were hoping.

anxietysufferer1
27-04-12, 20:17
Yeah this Is exactly the same! How are you doing now? How did you get over it? I know its irrational! But its like in psychology they're always going on about how powerful the mind is etc and its horrible feeling like a victim of your own body!

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Oh right, sorry I just read it back again and realised it wasn't the same thing you were experiencing lol. I'm srill interested in your reply though, please post. xx

xvolatileheart
27-04-12, 23:05
I'm also obsessed with my breathing and heartbeat, but I'm not worried about my mind stopping them, I'm just worried that I have something physically wrong that is going to stop them!

However, the obsession is the same. The only thing I can say is try to distract yourself and don't give in to safety behaviours (such as checking your pulse or your breathing).

anxietysufferer1
28-04-12, 01:32
thanks. Yeah it is an obsession as well. I think i shuld just try and forget it but every time i try to go to sleep negative/irrational thoughts come into my head like this and i just feel hopeless and start to panic :/