PDA

View Full Version : Efexor Exel or Venlafaxin

Nel
05-07-06, 18:01
Anyone on this med? I have just been prescribed it by my doctor for GAD and panic attacks, would like to hear of anyones experience using the med. Thanks xxx

Antipodes
01-10-06, 21:27
Hi,

Venlafaxine (Effexor) is one of the more recent anti-depressants. It is a SNRI type (Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor). I am on this med and have been up to 300mg/day but stable now at 225mg/day. This is the XR version (eXtended Relase). I find it as effective for anxiety as I found Moclobemide (which was excelent and nil side-effecs).
I liked Moclobemide but I have co-morbid depression and whilst it zapped my anxiety it didn't do anything for mood :- (

I'm guessing your doctor has put you on this because other meds haven't worked? (Effexor costs the NHS a lot more so they like to try other meds first).

There is lots of info on the net about it. Soem people hate it and have odd experiences while there body is getting used to it but for the majority it is effective.

Worth sticking with for at least three months to see if you get a good therapeutic effect.

Good Luck!

Antipodes

sarah1984
03-10-06, 14:24
Hi!
A really good site for checking out meds = www.askapatient.com. It gives reviews both positive and negative and side effects from people who are on the med.
Sarah

ConfusedByLife
29-10-06, 12:12
Great site link Sarah, but i'm more confused than ever now, lol. I've come to the conclusion that any drug can be great or complete rubish depending on the person. Each person's results taking the drug seems to be very individual.

jo61
26-11-06, 09:10
I've been on Effexor since August and my doctor has now decided to ake me off it as it was doing nothing. It's a very difficult drug to withdraw from and I think this is something that is not communicated to patients when they're put on it.

Jo

Jo