PDA

View Full Version : Panic Disorder or OCD???

jimwiths
27-04-12, 17:39
Hi,

This is my first post so I am sorry if its long winded.

I had a breakdown 9 months ago, before which I would have described myself as a chilled out and relaxed person with a high threshold to stress.
I was going through a particularly tough time with my father being seriously ill, not to mention stress at work and burning the candle at both ends with little sleep. I lost both my mother (during childhood) and stepmother during my early 20s and so I suspect my Dads illness was possibly the thing that took me over my stress limit. Anyway I initially developed globus hystericus throat symptoms and one night I obsessed about it until I had my first full blown panic attack. It was downhill from there and before I knew it I was panicking daily, couldn't think properly, couldn't go to work, couldn't even drive my car. I had no idea what was happening to me which only made matters worst because my imagination went into over-drive.
I was finally diagnosed with panic disorder, put on 20mg of cipralex. Over the course of about 3-5 months I started feeling better although not 100% myself. I started to get my life back however and a couple of months ago returned to work.
Anyway to get to the point about 3 weeks ago I had a major relapse out of the blue. I was chilling around my girlfriends house when the panic just seemed to hit me again for no reason. Although this experience was horrible I found a bit of strength and courage which I did not have the first time around and after a couple of days of feeling grim and highly anxious I returned to work. As the days went by I felt rather pleased with myself as the anxiety started to subside and thought by dealing with this setback the right way I have really made progress this time. During the last week however it seems I have developed a strange hyper awareness. For some reason i started focussing on my eyes and before I knew it I was sort of locked in where I could not concentrate on anything else. This reminded me of my globus throat however the difference is I had a real and unusual sensation in my throat whereas my eyes are totally ok. For the last week this hyper focus has not gone away and its started to really make me feel miserable. I have done some research and discovered that my symptoms are part of a condition known as sensori motor ocd. This has surprised me because I have never had obsessive/compulsions before. It has also depressed me because I feel like I now have another disorder to conquer on top of my panic disorder. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I really have ocd or is this likely to be another manifestation of my panic symptoms? If I do a standard ocd test online I score zero and dont match any of there other criteria. Another question I have is can stress lead to hyper awareness? Perhaps I developed this initially which is why I panicked about the globus sensations because I could not get relief from my focus on them. I want to get on top of this problem as quick as possible because it feels like it has stopped my progress in its tracks. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Jim

LAURA48
27-04-12, 17:48
:welcome:Hi Jim - think is it anxiety causing your symptoms tbh - it can bring on loads of problems like the ones you have been describing.

I have just been diagnosed with OCD (Pure O) form and tbh suffered with this for 27 years! just thought it was me - I do suffer with anxiety though GAD to add the mix!
Incidentally Prozac stopped it for 20 years but it resurfaced itself in November and I have been through hell - so much so am seeing a private psychiatrist who diagnosed me and it made complete sense - mine is more irrational thoughts, but to you sound yours is mainly anxiety/panic related.

Have you been back to your GP - may be some CBT therapy would help - but it sounds as though anxiety is to blame. (Incidentally it is anxiety that fuels OCD) but I really don't think you have this?

Sorry to hear about your family problems too.

Probably someone else may have some ideas.

Laura

jimwiths
27-04-12, 18:34
Hi Laura,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I am very sorry to hear you have been going through hell. I am glad to hear however that you have been getting some help for your problem. I am sure that with the right help you will overcome it.

I take your point about it being more likely anxiety/panic symptoms. I think maybe my experience with the globus sensitized me to a concern about bodily sensations and an over-focus. Just that feeling that I will never get relief from something once I notice it. I need to get over that somehow if I am going to progress from here. I have had some therapy but it was purely based on how to handle my panic symptoms. Essentially with a focus on acceptance and facing fears, not really cbt. Part of that was to practice mindfulness which I never managed to do with any discipline. I am thinking now perhaps though that mindfulness could possibly be the best thing to help me through this so I am going to try a daily meditation routine. I also found an article about exposure and response therapy for treating this kind of thing but the symptom seems so odd I dont really know how to formulate the exposure. I mean do I just sit and focus on my eyes/blinking for hours on end??

It just seems that I am in an endless struggle at the moment, hopefully with time I will get on top of it.

Cheers

James

xvolatileheart
28-04-12, 00:12
Hi Jim

Since I started having panic attacks in January, I've been completely hypersensitized to my bodily sensations. In particular, my heart beat, chest sensations and breathing are my constant obsessions. You could call it sensorimotor OCD, or you could just classify it as part of the anxiety/panic disorder. I have definitely developed health anxiety from my panic attacks, constantly worrying that my heart is failing, which has led to the obsessiveness with my body sensations, which leads to compulsions like checking my pulse and timing my breaths.

I think if you get to the bottom of the anxiety/panic, then you will rid yourself of the sensorimotor obsessions. Have you tried any therapy?

jimwiths
28-04-12, 11:48
Hi xvolatileheart,

I understand a lot about how you feel. When I was first ill with this 9 months ago my heart was constantly beating out of my chest from the very moment I woke up in the morning till the last moment before I fell asleep. Infact looking back I'm amazed I managed to fall asleep at all. I was convinced initially that there was something seriously physically wrong with me. Maybe I had a brain tumour, maybe a heart defect, was my throat playing up because I had cancer. These where all things I felt semi convinced about at one point. I can understand how easy it is to have health anxiety when panic disorder strikes because it's so powerful and so unlike anything you have ever felt before. The symptoms can be completely overwhelming. I had a bit of therapy though and that helped me realise that anxiety/panic was causing all of my symptoms. This I suppose was the point I started to recover a bit. I started ignoring the sensations more, didn't feed into them so much and slowly started to get better. This attitude helped me get over my last setback 3 weeks ago too. I feel my hyper focus is slightly different in that I don't think I have a problem with my eyes, more a fear that I will be driven crazy by being hyper focused on them. I think when you have bad anxiety and panic fearful thoughts have a habit of sticking. Somehow I have to unstick the thought from my brain I suppose. As usual when this problem developed a few days ago I started searching on google and it came back with OCD. Typically then my nervouse brain starts fretting that I have OCD. I think sometimes it's easy to forget that health care professionals categorise all these disorders when really anxiety is just anxiety and it can strike in many weird ways. I am hoping that I can get over this with daily meditation. The bodyscan I think could be useful for me. Maybe you could try this also because I have heard it can really help if taken seriously? I am open to other ideas though if anyone has any?
Either way thanks for replying to me and best of luck with your own recovery. I know that we can all beat this if we learn enough and keep pushing forward.
All the best.
Jim

xvolatileheart
01-05-12, 21:27
Thanks for all of your input, Jim. It really gives me hope that I'm going to get better! I'm waiting for a therapy appointment, so hopefully I'm able to get that support soon.

Yours definitely sounds more on the OCD spectrum. But OCD is driven by anxiety, so it's all connected anyway! No matter what name you give it, the way of dealing with it is essentially the same - find coping strategies for the anxiety and challenge your irrational thoughts. Then try to move on, I suppose! I used to have OCD tendencies as a child (specifically with numbers) and I remember even as a child knowing that I had to go against my feelings to prove my thoughts wrong. It works. :) It's just a matter of de-conditioning your brain and not feeding into the irrational thought loops.

Do you mean a CT body scan? I doubt my GP would agree to that, specifically because the radiation exposure is probably more likely to cause damage than to do me good since there's no rational reason to believe I have cancer. However I would love to have it done to set my mind at ease!

Hope you are doing well on your road to recovery.

jimwiths
03-05-12, 00:20
Yes I agree with you, I think anxiety is anxiety no matter how you define it. I think acceptance is key whether it's the hyper focus I have been experiencing recently or the panic attacks, I think once you stop fighting it and instead just let it be there (not easy I know) it starts disappearing on its own accord. The problem is its so unnatural to accept something that feels so horrible and so different too.
When I mentioned the body scan I was actually talking about meditation. There is a guy called John kabat zin who teaches and promotes mindfulness meditation and he advises starting with regular practice of the bodyscan meditation before moving onto others. As a practice mindfulness is supposed to be really helpful for overcoming anxiety disorders, stress, depression and chronic pain. I have only started doing it recently but I get the feeling it's helping a bit already. You can find quite a bit about it online or buy one of his books, I bought his book Full Catastrophe Living which is very good IMO. If your really worried about your health then it would not hurt to get a full physical check up to put your mind to rest however I strongly suspect your physically fine and all of your symptoms are anxiety related. I never realised before it happened to me just how much anxiety can mess you up physically and mentally. Stay strong and you can and will definitely recover, just takes a bit of time and the right attitude.
Cheers
Jim