PDA

View Full Version : Severe Health Anxiety with Various Issues

Trbfan
28-04-12, 09:15
I guess I will go ahead and post this now even though I just posted my introduction. I guess I should start with medical history prior to all this..Well..There was none...

To start..I'm sorry if this is lengthy but I feel I need to get all of this out to understand the full issue.

In school I never truly had an anxiety issue, except when things happen like I missed an assignment, even if it didn't matter I would just get this sick feeling in my stomach, to the point where I almost got physically sick..I never associated this with anxiety..Fast forward to now..I am 20, (American), with a so far undiagnosed set of conditions.

I guess I can be considered a very self conscious person which doesn't help any of this, and I also used to get a lot of things back in school like stomach butterflies just going somewhere or meeting friends, etc...Now that I am through this, on to the medical stuff.

I guess the first thing happened approximately 4 years ago. I went to the doctor simply with dizzyness. Ran blood tests, nothing was found. I went to the medclinic probably 6 months after that with dizzyness, this time they found that my right ear was clogged with wax..For whatever reason that ear clogs and not the other. We cleaned that out, and moved on. In feburary 2010, the first real odd symptom happened. I was out shoveling dirt, and moving leaves and when I came in I noticed that two fingers on my left hand were burning, similar to the feeling you get when they are too cold, it was cool that day so I ran them under some hot water, but that didnt do anything. After an hour that went away, but later that night I was doing some work and the back of my neck went numb. This..scared me a little. The next morning my neck, neck, throat were going numb. I went to the medclinic. An MRI was ordered. I had an MRI of the head/neck/upper half of the back. Absolutely nothing abnormal was found. The symptoms continued and over the next two weeks got worse, I was feeling sick, numb in certain posistions, if I leaned forward I felt better, if I leaned back I felt worse. Consistent to some kind of pinched nerve. I went to the chiropractor and over the next year it evened out with mainly just numbness on the right side of my throat. I would still get a lot of numbness, but it was predictable, and I was going to the chiropractor and that was keeping it even. I still went to the neurologist, went through all the checks..Again nothing found. In may of 2011, something happened. I got a horrible attack, with dizzyness, numbness over the right half of my chest into the throat, shortness of breath, and I was admittely freaking out. I went to the doctor and they diagnosed it as panic attack. To this day I still do not believe that was the only culprit that particular night, after they drugged me up the symptoms were still there. They did run an EKG on me and nothing abnormal was found.

These odd attacks kept up first weekly, and became almost nightly. I kept up my excersize routine until the end june/early july when I ran in a pretty major go kart race here..Between may and july, and I began developing severe health anxiety. I started KNOWING I had heart issues, I started KNOWING I had cancer. I started knowing that the rarest diseases known to man were going to happen to me. I started going to doctor after doctor after doctor. One thing I really noticed, I began to notice every heartbeat, every single odd feeling pain. Every single room temperature change. One thing that did start and has been happening still is that if I get up after laying down for an hour or two, my heart will pound for a minute or two. I do not know if it happened before, and I do not know if it is normal. Anyway. I went to the doctor had another EKG..Again..Nothing. I was sent to the neurologist again..Nothing. I began to worry about everything.

In September I read of someone my age who played video games a lot that passed away from a blood clot..Now I like to play video games a lot..So this freaked me out...I have played sports all my life...Even though did probably sit too much when I was home. This terrified me..To the point where now I get antsy if I sit more than 15 minutes, and I am constantly checking my legs for red spots, and for pains...There has been a pain increase in my legs and everywhere since october. Throughout all this time all these symptoms have continued and seemingly have gotten weirder. They feel different every time. The numbness goes to my head, sometimes I get bad vertigo, sometimes my extremities feel heavy, sometimes the extremities feel light. sometimes I feel like I cant breathe, sometimes I get pins and needles feelings anywhere, sometimes I get pains randomy. My chest has become very sensitive to any pressure. Even buttons on a polo shirt agitate me. I do believe still that I have a pinched nerve in combination with all this...

Now to the tests I have had. Throughout going to the neurologists, doctors, and cardiologists..I had another MRI last year that came out normal. I had a EEG of my to make sure there was no seizure. I had a myriad of blood tests which showed nothing truly abnormal. I also went to the cardiologist...I had an echocardiogram and a stress test on my first day..I nearly passed out on the treadmill after..this worried me cause I used to do sports all the time. They called it a vaso-vagil reaction possibly due to dehydration, but I think it could have been anxiety or my nerves pinching. After that I had...a bubble echocardiogram, 2 more EKG's, a transesophogeal echocardiogram, a heart CT scan, a 24 hour heart monitor. Possibly more that I dont even remember right now. The only thing any of those heart tests showed was a P.F.O. It was explained to me that a PFO is a small flap that hasnt closed all the way. The cardiologist explained that 3 of every 10 people have it, and that there is NO health risk with it. And that mine was actually small compared to most. Every doctor I have asked since says this is also not a problem..But it has freaked me out. And that was the ONLY thing found on any of the huge amount of tests I have had. I also had an ultrasound of my right leg when I had concerns of a clot, and I had an ultrasound of my stomach when we were concerned of a possible gall bladder issue.

So here I am..All these tests, and almost nothing to show for it, except for a pfo which supposedly is nothing. I am CONSTANTLY worrying about health issues, constantly thinking about clots, strokes, heart issues..It prevents me from having ANY fun. I cant get it out of my head. On top of this im having the odd symptoms such as numbness, heavyness, lightness, LOTS of vertigo, odd headaches, odd pins and needles feelings, odd twitching, odd muscle pain. I've said many times before that if there was an odd feeling someone can get I've had it. I do believe there is a pinched nerve, and actually TMJ. But I know for a fact anxiety is making me feel horrible all the time. 20 year olds typically do not worry and obsess over clots, strokes, and heart issues. When I signed up for this site a couple days ago I was freaking out sure that I was having a stroke, because I had facial twitching during a panic attack. My life is now controlled by anxiety and health worries whether I am home or away from home.

I am just wondering if anyone has experienced similar symptoms or anything like this. I know my mental ability has been affected, I have had friends tell me that they have noticed a change in me. I am just looking for reassurance that I am ok. Most of these things I worry about are literally 1 in a million for people my age but I cant get em out of my head.

Thanks for reading this.

AnnOBrien
28-04-12, 14:53
Hi There, sounds like you're really having a horrific time with your health anxiety. I really do believe that when you get yourself into such a state of worry that you only end up making any symptoms worse because your focused on them and constantly on the eye out for any little ache, pain, twinge, strange feeling. Considering you have had lots of comprehensive tests and nobody is worried about you, have you considered seeing a therapist for anxiety? If you can get that anxiety somewhat under control hopefully your health symptoms will decrease and you can start enjoying life again.

Trbfan
28-04-12, 16:44
I've started seeing a doctor who is a mix of a natural medicine doctor, and a therapist..Only been there once though. But that is exactly what is going on on...Im focusing on every little pain, ache, twinge. My parents have somewhat made it worse by telling me im crazy for worrying about these things and offering little help to the anxiety.

AnnOBrien
28-04-12, 18:38
Unfortunately those who have never experienced health anxiety find it very difficult to understand. They think that if a doctor tells you you are ok then that should be the end of it. That's why places like this forum help, you get to talk to people who understand :-) There is a good "sticky" thread at the top of the health anxiety forum that is something like "So I have health anxiety, what now, am I going to die?" that has really good advice on coping. Myself I find it helps to think about all the simple, unimportant silly little thing any ache or pain could be and repeat to myself that that outcome is the most likely. Positive affirmations every day are also a great thing, when you do something you like, see something you like, think about how that thing makes you happy. This I believe just helps create some positivity in your life which is vital for overcoming the impending doom feeling.

Trbfan
28-04-12, 22:03
Yea...I really need to find something. Im sure this worrying will do worse things to my overall health than not worrying. I dont want to get to a point where I dont care, but I know this worrying isnt healthy...

I am also kind of wondering if anyone else experiences the heart pounding feeling after getting up from a nap, or just laying down for more than 45 minutes. Also im wondering if anyone else has experience a lot of these weird symptoms from a pinched nerve in the neck or upper back?

gemjones85
28-04-12, 22:52
I am CONSTANTLY worrying about health issues, constantly thinking about clots, strokes, heart issues..It prevents me from having ANY fun. I cant get it out of my head.

youve just wrote my thoughts and my life at the minute. I was told by my doctor that the body plays tricks on us - like i read about lung cancer - twos days later i had chest pain..... actual symptoms which is what the worst thing is - because u think its so real. Im seeing my gp tuesday because its not living its exsisting.
hope ur ok.

Trbfan
29-04-12, 06:13
Well..Mentally my mind has just been..Off...Lately..I try to help a lot of my friend with mental issues, and its felt lately that I have less compacity to do that because of whats going on with me. Because sometimes I just zone out so bad I can barely talk to anyone.

I guess I'll explain what happened to me tonight. I went to my local race track tonight to watch the auto races. For the first half..I walked around..Felt pretty good..In the middle of one race, I dunno what happened..Whether it was my pinched nerve or just anxiety, but all of a sudden I felt like I couldn't breathe. Or I couldnt take in a full breath. It felt like there was phlem (spelling?) or sinus drainage in my throat, so I dunno if that was a factor..Its like I could take a breath but not a full 100% breath. Not the first time its happened to me but I was convinced I was having a clot in the lungs or something like that. I got up to walk around and I was getting dizzy, I had numbness in my throat as usually happens with my nerves. After about 10 minutes..It kinda just went away, after I got my mind off it a little..I think...I dont know if it was just that something in my throat spooked me or what. I know when I start freaking out sometimes I dont exhale one breath to let in another full one so when I start thinking I cant take in a 100% breath.

I do know that panic can cause physical pain, because it seems to happen that way. I also notice that if I get focused on something else...Like music...And I have a symptom..The anxiety attack will be much larger because of the amount it shocks me, rather than if I am thinking about symptoms and anxiety already.

I should have some confidence that I am healthy, given the fact that I have had way more heart scans/tests than almost anyone my age. Blood tests over 4 different areas of blood work. Tests that show that the bloodflow in my legs is perfect...Ultrasounds of the stomach that come out clear. Yet I feel like I am the most unhealthy person here.

AnnOBrien
29-04-12, 13:14
Sounds like you had a panic attack at the race track, triggered by a weird feeling in your throat. I do find that a sudden panic, an unexpected one, when you get an immediate fear, can be much worse than when you're sitting contemplating a symptom. When I get a sudden panic I get a horrible feeling in my head/neck, like a burning sensation, I completely zone out of everything that's going on around me, get internal shakes and feel extremely nauseous. It takes a while to come out of that.....

I have experienced palpitations when getting up in the morning especially, it doesn't happen all the time, but has concerned me in the past. Now I just take it as normal, as part of a general anxiety.

Trbfan
03-05-12, 04:55
I'd rather not start a new thread, so I guess I will explain whats going on with me today..

Today I've noticed a lot of vertigo. Mainly when I start moving a lot. I've noticed some odd feelings in my head and around. Mainly some pressure or tight feelings. I've been getting that zoned out feeling a lot, can't really concentrate, accompanied by my typical numbness on the right side of my throat.

Im trying to determine..Is this nerve related because days like today it feels like it just builds and builds and builds till it finally creates an odd feeling, or is it just anxiety.

Marj
03-05-12, 15:22
Hi I am there with you although I haven’t had much investigations done (quite difficult to get referrals here on the NHS). I really know what you mean – it is totally impossible for me to watch these hospital series and even hear about other people’s illnesses unless they are broken legs etc.

I get that phlem/sinus drainage in my throat or windpipe all the time and it's really not nice, especially bad at nighttime, also have rhinitis which means the phlegm drips down from my nose and I need to keep swallowing and swallowing (I have complained to a doctor once who practically dismissed it - mind you she thought there is nothing wrong keep using nasal sprays for weeks and months...) – I do have asthma, I think, although one doctor said he is not sure if I do but I was originally given an inhailer to help with hayfever. I think I have acid reflux which can feel like asthma and it’s been really bad as feels like there is something I need to clear up, especially at night, and I need to clear my throat constantly. I have a lot of issues with breathing nowadays, well at least I think so.

The number of illnesses I have got is incredible and the number of doctors who don’t know enough… Just an example...

Yes, of course I have a heart condition. I often feel my heart everywhere, my legs, head, back and am very conscious of the heartbeat, and the skips and the thumbs and feel it in my chest very clearly. I have developed a compulsion to constantly check my heart rate. It’s actually stopping me doing cardio as am worried I may get a heart attack. I wake up at night feeling like my heart is racing but often it’s not so much when I check.

As soon as I read about the blood clot in your thread, I had to check my legs as they have been sore (muscle tension sore I guess) and call a friend who has had a dvd for further symptoms…

This morning I diagnosed myself with kidney failure and I am convinced I have a stomach ulcer, gall stones (this is actually very possible as once an A&E GI consultant who investigated me said he is 97% sure that’s it but scan showed nothing), probably something wrong my pancreas too. They just always say all my stomach symptoms are IBS.

Then there is MS, fybromyalgia...

I think an erectile dysfunction I have not diagnosed yet :roflmao:

I too get lots of pins and needles and really weird feelings like my arm going warm all of a sudden, twitching here and there. Also my legs kind of like tremble a bit inside. I sometimes feel like my head is shaking inside which feels really scary but only lasts a very short whille. Dizziness yes. Odd headaches yes. A feeling like my head is swollen or like a balloon. I wake up some mornings and the other side of my face feels numb and I have a strange ‘spot’ in that eye’s vision, and that eye feels quite dry.

I am going to start antidepressants as I finally gave up and took them as am so desperate with my anxiety, worries and panic attacks. I have also been referred to see a psychologist.

I currently have been diagnosed with anxiety/panic/depression and have been off sick (much of it is work stress related) – I have always been a hypochondriac but I think the GAD/panic has made this the worst it’s ever been.

I have also looked at chronic fatigue syndrome as lot of the symptoms I am currently experiencing are bang on.

So, I really empathise with your situation.

amyamyamy14
03-05-12, 15:40
I feel your pain. I can also have no fun anymore. It dosen't matter if I'm at home or out, but I spend more time researching medical illnesses then anything. I wish I never got an iPhone, because now I have google at my fingertips all the time

jbSEO9
04-05-12, 10:21
There are two things that have helped me. First a book you may or may not have heard of, though it has sold millions and es excellent imo - The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle (think that's how you spell his name). It has a really good method of being able to have a buddha state of "no mind" which might sound scary but really is great on so many levels. By the way I am in no way religious either!

Also do a search online for "crinc anxiety" might also help with general anxious tendencies...

Hope they have the same positive outcome they had on me!

glynmarie
04-05-12, 13:56
hello marj

i too have developed over the last twelve months this horrendous thing called health anxiety.
it started when i had severe sciatica which lasted months and was truly debillitating with medicine and the help of the physio(the doctor was useless) after 4 months i was finally almost back to normal. then i was diagnosed with gall bladder problems and was put on a waiting list for op last october had it finally removed a week today feel marvellous..all ok you are thinking....in march i had a severe chest infection antibiotics steroids inhalers..since this my breathing is so not good...i dont wheeze ..i dont cough much..have had cheast x rays which are clear..they think it is either asmtha or early onset emphysimia...i think i am dying...today i think i have throat cancer... cannot have a spirometer test for a couple of months because of the op....so in the mean time i will be dreaming up a new illness everyday. mine did start with bonafide illness i have always been the sort of person who before if i got something always got over it and got on with life...i cant do that now..i have even been planning my own funeral is this normal with h.a but i am going to beat this one way or another have been to see the gp today and she recommended this site which i think is very helpful...even if it is just to find that you are not completely barking there are other people out there dealing with this in their own way too. i find that distraction works sometimes when i feel myself focusing to much on me and my breathing ..what i might or might not have, it can just be phoning my sister for a chat or making a pot of tea i have managed without medication to stop heart palpatations, racing heart i am slowly working on the other things , wish you well marge you are not alone.

Marj
04-05-12, 18:50
Hi, I wanted to post my reply to glynmarie also here as some people may find it familiar:
Thanks am glad to hear you have been able to conquer some of this stuff. I went to doctors today as was convinced that i have kidney failure and as I was there waiting to see her I was reading about it on the internet and then started thinking the it probably is the chronic one and the prognosis are not very good and how I may not make it to my brother's wedding in August and then I thought I might be very close to multiple organ failure as have such stomach pains that was sure at least my liver or spleen, probably also pancreas are going... She diagnosed it urine infection but i still doubt.... And just now I was looking at meningitis symptoms... Earlier I was pretty sure I had a heart attack but it was quite nasty spout of reflux i think... Just starting the antidepressants today so hopefully in a month's time this will pass..