PDA

View Full Version : is this a panic attack??? or related?

MidnightCalm
28-04-12, 17:36
My chest goes tight, I worry, it goes tighter and my lungs feel tiny and I can only take short fast breaths and it feels like my belly is swollen and my lungs can't expand, my back and chest muscles start to really hurt like they are very tense. and my breathing feels so constricted like somebody is sat on my chest. I get dizzy and feel light headed and disoriented and rushy and like I can't be still and I want o break down

kittikat
28-04-12, 19:02
Sounds very much like what I experience when having a panic attack....the hyperventilating does make you feel like you are gasping for breath and I also get the pains in my chest and awful feeling in my stomach. The back issue is probably because you are so tensed up with anxiety during the attack. The dizzy lightheaded feeling comes because all your blood rushes to protect the vital organs as your body prepares for the 'fight or flight' response to fear. You also have an excess rush of adrenalin so you feel restless but your mind doesn't really know what to do with it, you may find yourself shaking or pacing which is your way of burning off the excess adrenalin. All sounds pretty familiar to me.....I hope you are ok. I'm sure many others here will be able to relate to what you are describing. It is very frightening but try breathe slowly and deeply and eventually you will naturally 'come down' from the panic. I hope you are managing to cope and this puts your mind at rest a little. Have a chat with your GP about it too, they will know if you need meds or therapy to help you cope.

Kitti :)

jess14615
29-04-12, 03:17
Yes! I have that and its so scary. My GP suggested meditation, when I am relaxed to start meditation, cause its hard to learn when you are smack dab in the middle of panic. The more you practice the more easier it gets. Belly breathing is my best friend.:blush:

Anxious_gal
29-04-12, 03:37
Try to relax your belly when your breathing :)
Also chewing gum or sucking on a mint can help too

MidnightCalm
29-04-12, 10:00
I can never relax anything =( I just can't. I know I should but nothing happens, all tht happens is I get worse and worse and worse.

Meltdown
29-04-12, 13:13
Try this form of meditation:

Take yourself off to a quiet place (even the nearest toilet if necessary!). Sit down

Stare at a point on the wall.

Describe to yourself (in your mind) 3 things you can see (e.g. "I can see a mark on the wall", "I can see the top of the door" etc)

Describe to yourself 3 things you can hear

Describe to yourself 3 things you can feel (try to keep away from things like your racing heartbeat - this probably won't help!)

Repeat with two things each time, then one thing.

Finally close your eyes, and take a deep breath in. Breath out slowly, adn count "9, 8,7" Take another breath and count "6,5,4" and so on to zero. When you get to zero, repeat a word that gives you comfort e.g "Peace", "Calm" etc

This may not seem to work at first, but I guarantee if you stick with it, by the time you get to 1 repitition of the observations, you will be feeling calmer, and your heart rate will have slowed down.

The above is also one of the few things that works when I can't sleep!