PDA

View Full Version : hey, new here on venlalic 225mg

jove
28-04-12, 20:03
Hi,
I found this site after googling venlafaxine and have spent a few hours reading various posts so have decided to join and introduce myself.

Well where do I start.... I have suffered anxiety of various sorts and depression for the past 30 years or so. I have been told to pull myself together for probably 24 of those years!! I sought medical help about 6 years ago and was initially given propranolol which helped with the physical symptoms of my panic attacks and anxiety.
I eventually had CBT (as I also have health/medication anxiety and would not take ADs),I had CBT for 2 years and was eventually discharged because my counsellor beleived that I am so 'used' to being in this state that getting better was too scary, and that unless i took meds my mood wouldn't improve enough to take the CBT in.....
After a particularly scary panic episode and the diagnosis of oesophageal cancer in my dad I decided to try ADs. First came Fluoxetine (liquid due to swallowing anxieties) and diazepam, Fluoxetine was very quickly discontinued as my anxiety increased ten fold and I broke out in a rash everywhere, switched to Citalopram 20mg, then 40mg, then 60mg - no real side effects but no effect on my depression. On a medicatio review saw a locum GP who informed me that GPs werent allowed to prescribe 60mg Citalopram anymore (since sept 2011) becuse of reports of heart arrythmias and sudden death - not something you should say to someone with health anxieties!!!!! She suggested Venlalic modified release 75mg, so I started on this new journey. I suffered blinding headaches for the first week, had a review after 4 weeks, no improvement so upped to 150mg. During this time I have also been diagnosed with high blood pressure and am on 2.5mg daily ramipril. Back for a review last week and have been upped to 225mg.....
I feel a bit like a guinea pig as I have had an ECG and blood tests to try and find out why I have such high blood pressure (was 170/120 last check was 155/110) and all came back clear, apart from having tachycardia (I think that being constantly anxious is the culprit here), anyway she upped my venlalic on the thinking that maybe my high blood pressure is also caused by my anxiety and mybe the upped dose would lift my mood and lower the BP.

Sorry this has been so long, but this is where I am now, taking 225mg terrifies me, especially reading many people are only taking 150mg. I am so tired of all this and just want to be normal - I can remember what that was like - none of my family really 'gets it' as they cant see whats going on in my head and I feel they have lost all patience with me....

This was supposed to be just an intro but has ended up being an essay - apologies.
J

nomorepanic
28-04-12, 20:04
Hi jove

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

LAURA48
28-04-12, 20:08
Hi Jove:welcome:

Welcome to the site you will get lots of good advice on here - not on Ven myself but there are lots who are.

You will soon get some replies

Laura:welcome::welcome::welcome:

nicola1980
28-04-12, 21:17
Hi and welcome i also take ven after 2 failed AD attempts, im currently taking 75mg in the morning and 37.5mg at night for anxiety and panic attacks, ive been on it 7 wks and slowly getting there x x

Pipkin
28-04-12, 23:27
Hi Jove and :welcome:!

As you've probably seen from other threads, there are quite a few of us on here who take venlafaxine, me amongst them. This is the second time I've been on it and it has helped me enormously. Don't be concerned about the number of meds you've been on. Sometimes it takes a while to find one that really works for you. It seems from all the people that I've talked to on here that ven is pretty well tolerated and is very effective, if you can get through the first few weeks.

You will find that it can take a while to become effective. For me, the first couple of weeks were quite difficult and I took beta blockers to help me through the increased anxiety it can cause. It then took about 2 months for the full effects to kick in and I continued to improve up to about 3 months when I stabilised. This seems quite common so it really is important to have confidence that it will work and plenty of patience (and will power).

Regarding the dose you're on, there is nothing wrong with 225mg a day. At this dose, you'll see the maximum anti-depressant and anti-anxiety effects and if you were previously on 60mg of citalopram, you'll have no problem with this dose. In fact, at this dose, it is proven to be very successful. You'll also get the increased noradrenalin effects at this dose which makes this different from SSRIs, such as the 2 you've already tried. This is supposed to work very well for lack of concentration and other anxiety symptoms.

You'll see quite a few references on here to the extended/slow release tablets or capsules. You're taking venlalic which are the slow release tablets which are one of the best. It's quite rare to be prescribed these straight away without asking for them as they are more expensive than the standard tablets. You obviously have a very considerate GP. The extended release are generally better because you only have to take them once a day and some people say that they lessen some of the side effects such as nausea.

Feel free to join in to some of the active threads - you'd be more than welcome and your experience would be helpful for the rest of the group.

Take care

Pip xxx

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

By the way, the thread most of us chat on is:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=110037

xxx