PDA

View Full Version : very worried about motor neuron diseases...

WorriedMan
28-04-12, 21:54
I recently noticed that one of the hypothenar muscles in my right dominant hand appears slightly atrophied when my pinky is stretched, but normal when the hand is relaxed. The indentation also twitches in and out. Other symptoms I have are tingling in my hands and feet, large 'jerks' in my legs at night and general fatigue. I have also been diagnosed with POTS syndrome recently. I am not very active and use a PC a lot. I am terrified it could be ALS or something similar. My uncle suffers from MS so it has me even more distraught. I am only 20 so I realize the chances are incredibly low, but im thinking of heading back to the doctor... again.

Does this sound serious?

AnnieMags
28-04-12, 22:34
I don't know enough about these conditions to reassure you, but I am sure all your symptoms could have any number of innocent explanations. Health anxiety never lets us consider these, though - we go straight for the most serious, usually the most unlikely. Since you are worried, it might be a good idea to go to your GP, tell him honestly exactly what your worry is and let him reassure you, maybe with some relevant tests, and then you can put it behind you. Best wishes from Annie

WorriedMan
28-04-12, 23:28
I don't know enough about these conditions to reassure you, but I am sure all your symptoms could have any number of innocent explanations. Health anxiety never lets us consider these, though - we go straight for the most serious, usually the most unlikely. Since you are worried, it might be a good idea to go to your GP, tell him honestly exactly what your worry is and let him reassure you, maybe with some relevant tests, and then you can put it behind you. Best wishes from Annie

Thanks, i'm getting an appointment on monday. I also showed my hand to my parents and they see nothing wrong, so maybe I am imagining it. It only appears 'atrophied' when stretched so perhaps it is normal muscle tone. It is my dominant hand after all.

Amysunshine
02-05-12, 21:20
Ive had a tingling foot last 3 weeks and the occasional jerk in my sleep. Doc says he's not come across it before and doesnt think its anything to worry about. And surely if these were signs of a motor neuron disease he would hear the alarm bells ringing. Hes just told me to put it to the back of my mind. I dont know much about your symptoms either but sounds similar in relation to mine x

xtremx
03-05-12, 07:52
Hello Worriedman.

I am a fellow twitcher and have been down the whole I have ALS/MND road and still don't have it. I am not to sure but have you been on one of the ALS forum sites as your username looks familiar.

Right als you said MND in someone so young is VERY VERY uncommon, and tingling in your hands does not sound like MND as sensory things like tingling is not indicative of MND.
Leg jerks is a very common thing especially at night (myoclonic jerks) happens to us all and if your suffer from anxiety they can be worse.
Fatigue well I would say everyone can suffer from that very easy I do I am dog tired everyday.

Your hand problam on your dominant hand the so called antrophy (not saying it is not) will both side of or bodys are different a muscle on the left cand be smll on the right and so on your problam on your hand sound like it could be Carpal tunnel syndrome.

And one more thing the more you look for antrophy the more you will find it. I went though months of measuring my calf muscles and taking photos of them to look for even the smallest differance and it will take over your life.

My advice to you is see your Doctor let them tell you you DON'T have MND and then forget about it and enjoy life before it gets out of hand.

Goodluck

WorriedMan
04-05-12, 00:32
Hello Worriedman.

I am a fellow twitcher and have been down the whole I have ALS/MND road and still don't have it. I am not to sure but have you been on one of the ALS forum sites as your username looks familiar.

Right als you said MND in someone so young is VERY VERY uncommon, and tingling in your hands does not sound like MND as sensory things like tingling is not indicative of MND.
Leg jerks is a very common thing especially at night (myoclonic jerks) happens to us all and if your suffer from anxiety they can be worse.
Fatigue well I would say everyone can suffer from that very easy I do I am dog tired everyday.

Your hand problam on your dominant hand the so called antrophy (not saying it is not) will both side of or bodys are different a muscle on the left cand be smll on the right and so on your problam on your hand sound like it could be Carpal tunnel syndrome.

And one more thing the more you look for antrophy the more you will find it. I went though months of measuring my calf muscles and taking photos of them to look for even the smallest differance and it will take over your life.

My advice to you is see your Doctor let them tell you you DON'T have MND and then forget about it and enjoy life before it gets out of hand.

Goodluck

Hi, I do not post on any MND forums under this name, but I have posted things on a forum for benign fasciculation syndrome.

I went to the doctor and while he did not say so, I don't think he thinks there is anything serious wrong. He has scheduled an appointment for an exam to test my sensation and things like that, and then refer me to a neuro if anything abnormal is found. He also suggested a referral to a psychologist to deal with health anxiety.

I am a lot more relaxed about the issue now. From more research into MND and my hand, it appears it could be a palmar brevis spasm from using a PC mouse too much. The fatigue and weakness comes and goes. I am very thin at 8st 6, having lost 5 pounds this week alone, so I suspect this comes from having zero appetite and over-sleeping a lot. It also makes it impossible for me to really check for atrophy, since I find thin bits EVERYWHERE, so I will stop doing that as it was another trigger for my worry.

I discussed my weight and exercise intolerance with my doctor and he said it is low, so he might help in some way with that issue.