PDA

View Full Version : Fainted at doctor's

daisycake
30-04-12, 15:37
Well - maybe I should say I nearly fainted.

Was seeing GP this morning due to having a heavy cold. GP was over an hour late and I kept feeling like I was going to fall asleep in the waiting room. Got as far as her room, sat down and she started to talk about things. Things began to swim around the room, feeling like she was far away, I told her I felt drowsy, and unwell - she said I had a virus. Told her I felt immediately unwell - heart was pounding, breathing very fast. She took my blood pressure and pulse - both normal, legs and hands went all tingly, hands were shaking and kept feeling muscles spasming. Felt very odd and could hardly walk or do anything - just kept taking ages to answer questions and felt very confused, couldn't remember things well or understand her well. She took me by hand through to the waiting room, got me in a seat and got me a glass of water. Ten mins later, same thing - vision closing in as well and everything going blurry and weird plus heart skipping beats - receptionist went for her, was given a sugary tea and biscuits. Didn't tell GP about heart doing funny things - have had ECGs before and they've always been normal. Ended up feeling fine if still a bit funny; they allowed me to call a taxi home etc.

GP phoned up to check I was OK and said it looked like a hypo attack but she wasn't sure, might be periods as well. She said not to worry and to relax.

I feel a bit better now and not so woozy but still scared. I don't understand why that happened. I've always been told that a fast heart rate isn't normal before feeling faint, but GP didn't seem overly concerned? Am thinking on giving her a buzz tommorow as was told to keep palpitation diary for her and totally forgot to hand that over with all the drama of today, will I mention tommorow that I'm scared it may be heart related?

Am scared to leave the house as well, have had to persuade my mum to come get me tommorow and take me home :(

Cat80
30-04-12, 20:42
Sounds like it was an anxiety attack probably bought on from being kept waiting so long and being unwell. I get them if running late for an appointment. I feel woozy, spaced out, heart racing, hyperventilating, queasy and like I am going to pass out. It's horrible when it attacks. Keep some water with you to sip on and take slow deep breaths, you get dizzy because of your heavy breathing and fear.

Hugs, it's horrible, I know how you feel.

Ingenious
30-04-12, 20:49
I think your GP was well placed there to take action if they considered it anything very serious, so I agree it sounds like anxiety. I totally hate waiting rooms it's one of the worst things about going to the doctors (having had a similar anxiety attack many years ago waiting to see the doctor). I still routinely faint at the opticians and sometimes the dentists, the sensations include breathing problems, tingling, a sort of tunnel vision where I am so focused on the fact I think I'm about to faint I don't notice what people are saying, nausea, racing pulse, for a short time I feel like I'm going to vomit. The bonus though is free cup of tea, biscuits or other free food, lots of attention from the nurses :)

xvolatileheart
30-04-12, 22:17
I've had attacks that feel exactly as you've described. I ended up in A&E because I was so terrified, but heart tests and bloods were all normal. Stupid anxiety!

nicotine
30-04-12, 22:25
Keep energy sweets/glucose tablets on your person as well incase its blood sugar related these help me when I have similar attacks because my anxiety just eats up my sugar reserves and thats makes anxiety harder to overcome if its because you need sugar! ECG's prove it's not your heart, but keep at your doctor for all the tests you can possibly have to rule out other things! I hope you feel better soon! Stay positive!

Pipkin
30-04-12, 22:42
Hi there,

I can absolutely relate to this. I've had severe anxiety attacks 3 or 4 times whilst at the doctor's, being very close to fainting each time (though I'm not sure whether I actually would have). It always happens to me when I get an inconclusive test result or the GP says something that sets my mind spinning.

To me, it's always been evidence that anxiety causes my symptoms and shows how much power the mind has over the body.

As other posters have said, if it's going to happen, you were in the best place and your GP sounds very sympathetic. It really does sound like anxiety to me.

Take care

Pip xxx