PDA

View Full Version : Recovery

Rennie1989
30-04-12, 20:49
When I have a panic attack, depending on the severity and length, it can take some time to recover. A bad panic attack (severe hyperventilation, whole body cramping, possibly fainting, lasting for half an hour) can take me a day or two to recover. I had a 10 minute panic attack today and my stomach was cramping, fingers were tingling and my breathing went all wheezey (it was embarrassing) and despite having that over 4 hours ago my back and stomach still ache and I feel knackered. I don't think I've ever had a panic attack without needing a period of time to recover from the exhaustion.

How long does it take you guys to recover?

jimwiths
01-05-12, 16:26
Hi,

Can take me a week or more to recover fully however I have had panic disorder where I was having them daily and very high anxiety between attacks. After getting better for a while the impact of another attack sets me back psychologically more than anything. I find that I can go through days afterwards where I am close to having another one and have to hold things together. Physically the worst of the attack symtoms usually wear off after about 4 hours though.

All the best

James

Rennie1989
01-05-12, 18:51
Omg I'm the same (I thought I was alone). I seem to be more at risk of having an attack a few days after an attack then if I hadn't. Infact, I was shopping with my boyfriend earlier and I could feel my stress and anxiety rising, nearly to the point of another attack, I'm still trying to not have one now :(

jimwiths
03-05-12, 00:32
Yes, it's really crap, I know just how you feel. Important to look after yourself and reduce your stress as much as possible once you have had an attack. It takes a while for your brain to get over the shock of it all and for your body to get back in balance. As the days go by it always gets easier though. I hope your starting to feel better again.
Cheers
Jim