PDA

View Full Version : Please help advice needed

LIL6293
01-05-12, 13:36
Hi, my gp switched me from Citiopram to Paroxatine, I am now on day 12. I still have massive problems with sleeping, cloudy head and blurred vision ( anoying having just bought new glasses ), I have read that these are common problems with Paroxatine, have also noticed nasal / synus discomfort, can anybody advise on these side effects or any others I may encounter. I'm back at the g.p's on Thursday should I mention all of these problems all in all been on anti depresants for a month now and feel no benefit, any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

julieannboo
02-05-12, 12:59
you sound like you are in withdrawal from the first drug whilst having the side effects from a new drug in your system.

you cant do straight switches despite what docs may tell you.

the people on paxilprogress.org have of experience in what to do with regards to drug switches.

hope that you feel better ASAP X

lauz_lea
02-05-12, 19:45
Hi Lil, the effects you mention are quite common and could be both withdrawal from cit and start up from paroxetine.

The nasal congestion and cold/flu symptoms do seem to be a common start up effect with many SSRI's, but generally isn't listed as a side effect, but if you read through a lot of the threads on NMP you'll be suprised at how many people complain of having a cold/flu shortly after starting SSRI's.

It's still early days to see any benefit as I'm sure you're aware, and a lot is dependant on the dose you are taking. I found paroxetine pretty fast acting on the occassions it worked well for me, and within 6-8 weeks I felt like the old me again.

LIL6293
03-05-12, 13:22
Thanks for the information, GP didn't mention problems with withdrawal an startup ?, I seem to have cracked the appetite problem and am eating o.k ish main problem is the brain fog, vision and insomnia, seem to fight to get to sleep only to wake up 2 hours later sweating, cold, knotted stomach and tight throat anybody sufer similar problems.

julieannboo
03-05-12, 15:58
GPs dont know or wont admit to side effects or withdrawal.

lauz_lea
03-05-12, 19:14
main problem is the brain fog, vision and insomnia, seem to fight to get to sleep only to wake up 2 hours later sweating, cold, knotted stomach and tight throat anybody sufer similar problems.

Yes to all of those, but they did get better. I remember the first couple of times on paroxetine the worst side effects literally went overnight after about 3-4 weeks, the rest just gradually eased until I just realised one day they were gone, that was somewhere between 6-8 weeks, at which point I can honestly say I was "me" again.

I found the cold night sweats actually eased if I wore less in bed, or just wore very loose fitting PJ's. The insomnia wasn't too bad in comparison to the other side effects I suffered but it was bothersome. Paroxetine is said to be a stimulating AD rather than a sedating AD so it may be worth trying some exercise in the evening, followed by a warm bath (if you can manage either). Horlicks also really helped me with the insomnia.

LIL6293
08-05-12, 12:21
Still struggling with Brain fog, sleep disturbance and numbness, mornings feel worse than evenings, anybody advise on how long it takes for these side effects to diminish, please. Should I discuss a change of AD's with the GP or hang on in there.

julieannboo
21-05-12, 12:17
how long have you been on seroxat for again?

the problem is if you add a third AD into the mix - that it can throw you into more chaos.

how long was you on Citiopram for?

i am not a doctor but i suspect that you are in withdrawal from that whilst having to deal with the start up effects of seroxat.

(have you been to that site that i recommended?)

hope that you feel better soon x

LIL6293
21-05-12, 14:50
Hi, Citilopram 2 weeks for some reason the G.P switched as I had Seroxat about 15 years ago and thought it may be more appropriate, 30 days on SEROXAT / Peroxatine, now into first week of Peroxatine, don't know if I'm comming or going, really need to get back to work but it's like waking up with a mild hangover which I can't shake off until mid afternoon, evenings seem to be the easiest time ?.

haz
21-05-12, 23:41
[QUOTE=julieannboo;985428]

Yes you can. I did it from Seroxat to escitalopram with no problems.

Loads of other people on this site have done straight switches too.

julieannboo
23-05-12, 11:31
[QUOTE=julieannboo;985428]

Yes you can. I did it from Seroxat to escitalopram with no problems.

Loads of other people on this site have done straight switches too.

yep cause the original poster of this thread is doing soooo well so far switching drugs isnt he?

did you even read what the poor guy is going through???