PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do - any advice?

lass
06-07-06, 12:40
Sorry, this will no doubt be a long post as I'm not very good at putting things concisely. Also I am very sad and low at the moment so please don't be dragged down by my sad thoughts ....

For virtually the whole of this year, I have been suffering with a mild on/off abdominal "pain" (not an intense pain, just in a specific place, lasts maybe a minute, comes and goes, nothing I'd need painkillers for or anything), plus a change in bowel habit (alternative constipation/diarrohea). I also have recently had pains on/off up my backside, but I haven't told my GP this yet as haven't seen her since having them.

This has got me really freaked out and in my head is bowel cancer. My father has a history of colitis and bowel polyps (they remove the polyps as can turn cancerous) and I have been told polyps can be hereditary.

So my mind has been working overtime and I am convinced there is something wrong. My GP thinks it is IBS and has been really patient with me - she ran loads of blood tests in April which all came back normal (full blood count, ESR, liver/kidney function, tumour markers, thyroid).

As I was still very worried she referred me for sigmoidoscopy - saying she feels sure it is IBS but I knows I won't relax until I am investigated. I saw the consultant, who says it also sounds like IBS, but will do a sigmoidoscopy to rule out anything else due to my father's history. I am now waiting for this, haven't got an appointment yet.

I am going through a particular bad time at the moment. I am now really worrying that (a) it isn't IBS as I don't have the bad cramping pains etc (b) that a sigmoidoscopy can only see the first part of the bowel and that I may have something going on further up that they won't be able to see, and if they don't find anything on this test that I will be sent away with "IBS" and I know I won't be reassured as there are still bits of me that haven't been checked out, and (c) that I have hidden blood in my stools (I haven't been offered a stool test / FOB test so far). I was offered a colonoscopy if I paid privately (£1500 ish) which would look at the whole bowel and be more thorough, but this is an awful lot of money to find and so I accepted the sigmoidoscopy which was free.

My GP did give me sertraline to try, but I felt so much worse on it that she told me to stop, that I was either having a bad reaction or just wasn't right for me.

I have been perservering with herbal remedies - to start with I tried "Quiet Days", then St Johns Wort and now Relora, Vitamin B complex and magnesium. In some ways I am calmer - but not when it comes to worrying about my "condition".

I have good days where I am almost back to my old self, but also days where I feel very low. I have lots of sadness in my life at the moment which is shadowing the good things. My friend is dying - she has pancreatic and liver cancer which was picked up too late to be able to treat. I am so sad for her, her children are the same age of mine, and I am just thinking about how I'd feel to know I was dying, I can't get it out of my mind.

I think I am so anxious to get myself completely checked out as my friend had very minor symptoms that she tolerated for a couple of years beford getting investigated, then it took a good 6 months to get a diagnosis and it was all too late for her really. And I worked with a guy who had "IBS" for years before they discovered it was bowel cancer, by which time it had spread and was untreatable. So I am really really scared I will be told I have IBS and find out in months or years to come that it isn't.

I want to go back to my GP and get some reassurance from her, but I don't want her to get fed up with me wasting her time. I also think now I have been referred that she may think I should wait til I next see my consultant - but I haven't even got an appointment date yet so this could be ages away.

I think I need to be getting some kind of help, medication or therapy or something, but I'm not sure what and I'm really scared of trying any other antidepressants due

whatisitnow
06-07-06, 13:13
Awww Kirby that all sounds just too much to be dealing with. So sorry to hear about your mate. I think thats what worries us so much, that we will be one of the rare ones that something happens to like that.
Ive stressed about the bowel cancer one. Well, who am i kiddin, ive stressed about all cancers at some point! But i also had the pain up the rectum, thats what made me reply to this post. We didnt have the internet when i went through all that, it was about 12/13 yrs ago, so i looked in a medical book (just as bad as googling) & saw all the symptoms i was having. My doc had to put me on beta blockers to calm me down. But i swear to god, once i had been to the hospital & been checked out, being told i had I.B.S It all lifted & that pain went, the bizarre symptoms i had been having were gone within a few days & apart from the odd few episodes since i havent really 'suffered' with I.B.S. I do believe it is highly stress led that one. And the worst stress for it is thinking its something worse.
Keep us posted what the hospital say after the test, but i have to say, if i had a friend going through that i would be the same as you with worry, if not worse. And it sounds awful but im not sure i could see my mate too often. Im not proud of that but im a chicken & run away from it.
Caz xxxxx

Pete to win Big Brother! He is Daddy Fantastic with pants made of elastic!

lass
06-07-06, 13:24
Thanks for that Caz. I'm all over the place at the moment and it helps so much to speak to people who can kind of understand how I am feeling.

My friend is really facing her last few days and it is so sad. I saw her just over a week ago - she was going on holiday to Malta to a spa and so excited - I am a beauty therapist so I did all her holiday treatments and she was so pleased with it all, I did some wicked nail art on her nails and she looked gorgeous! She was better than I had seen her for ages and so excited about going away. But then she got really ill on her trip, had to come home after a couple of days, was admitted to the hospice and they have now said nothing else they can do for her. I haven't seen her since she came back and in a way, I don't really want to. If I don't see her again, my last memory will be of how beautiful and happy and excited she was the day she went on holiday. I don't want to see her in so much pain, so ill, suffering. It's just so awful, I can't bear it. And I want to do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen to me - hence the anxiety I think.

Do you think I should try and explain all this to the GP? Do you think I should try another antidepressant if she advises it? I really don't know what to do, but I can't stay feeling the way I feel as I think it is slowly destroying my marriage and my life (sorry, I'm very dramatic today).

Daisybun
06-07-06, 14:25
I know how you are feeling. I have had similar experiences with similar symptoms and many others besides that were cancer. All turned out to be fine but not without taking its toll on my mental state and my anxiety. Yes, I definitely think you should speak to your GP and tell her why you are so anxious, I did, as I have had family memebers who were wrongly diagnosed and that freaked me out. She was very understanding indeed. My hubby also thinks I spend to long on this site - he says it isn't helping me but he doesn't know how much it is supporting me and how much worse I would be without it!! I am so sorry about your friend, that is big burden to have at the moment and it is only natural that you are feeling so low about it. Don't be too hard on yourself

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

constantworrier
06-07-06, 18:13
Hi Kirby,
Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time at the moment. I do hope things get better soon.

Just wanted to say that I also get the on/off abdo pains and agree with Nigel, they would probably get worse and more prolonged if serious. Though i'm no doctor, they do sound like spasms...classic IBS symptoms. The alternate diarrohea / constipation is also classic IBS.
I too get the pains up the backside. I believe it's something called "proctalgia fugax". This is a COMPLETELY HARMLESS though undoubtedly at times painful condition and is simply caused when the muscles of the rectum spontaneously spasm. Nobody knows what causes it..though stress and IBS are thought to be involved. It can be triggered by caffeine and warm baths may help it.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> I am now really worrying that (a) it isn't IBS as I don't have the bad cramping pains etc (b) that a sigmoidoscopy can only see the first part of the bowel and that I may have something going on further up that they won't be able to see, and if they don't find anything on this test that I will be sent away with "IBS" and I know I won't be reassured as there are still bits of me that haven't been checked out, and (c) that I have hidden blood in my stools </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

(a) IBS can involve really bad cramping pains, though this tends to be varianble. Mine are generally quite mild.

(b) I believe that bowel cancer is extremely rare in the small intestine..generally affects the large intestine which would be covered by the sigmoidoscopy...remember though that the GP has referred you for this just to reassure you...not to reassure her because she is in any doubt or anything. (I have made the mistake, following referrals from my GP, of thinking that the GP is worried. In retrospect it was only to try and reassure me categorically through advanced tests.)

(c) If you were bleeding internally, i think this would probably have shown in your blood count from the recent blood tests you had done which were normal.

Hope this helps. Take care,

CW

xx

"Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us, we could learn to dance on a moving carpet." - Anon

lass
06-07-06, 18:15
Thanks everyone, your comments really help.

I find it so easy to pour out all my thoughts on here - however I know when I get to the GPs I just get into a real mess and don't say half the things I meant to, and end up saying other things I don't really mean!

I think I will write down all my questions, and exactly the way I am feeling, and take it along with me when I go to see her so that hopefully I can make a bit of sense this time.

I do try to reassure myself that surely after 6 months I'd be feeling worse, or there'd be some change in my symptoms if it were anything nasty - but the positive thoughts seem to get lost somewhere in the negative thoughts at time. It's like I have to mentally prepare myself for the worst at all times.

I just want to switch off and not think about it, but I can't seem to do it - even when I'm really busy (which I am most of the time).

What do other people do to drown out the negative thoughts?

anxious
06-07-06, 21:07
Hi ckirby,

i have had ibs since my early 20's, it comes and goes. Stress effects it for me as does what i eat. I never get stomach cramps except for feeling bloated, but i do know what that spasm constant worrier talks about - nearly makes me pass out. IBS comes in various different symptoms and i'm sure your gp is right.
You have to believe test results as there is really no point having them if you don't.
What you are experiencing with your friend has got to have a big effect of you, i lost someone close young to a brain tumor and its made me much worse although at the time i actually thought it would make me better i.e live for the day.
As for negative thoughts, don't know as i'm having plenty of them at the moment too.
((((Hugs))))) we'll get there,

anx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

whatisitnow
07-07-06, 09:54
I cant do anything to drown out the negative thoughts to be honest. Thats my problem. Thats why i always say to people its not a bad thing to take meds if your gp advises it.
Im off to the dentist in 2 hours and im bricking it, so passing some time on line beforehand which helps marginly but thats ok for something short term, not long term anxiety. Im even worried hes going to find something wrong, even though i know ive got gum disease because ive had it before! But i think even when we know something deep down, us people with anxiety find it hard to remember for some reason.
I know what you mean about your mate, and i agree, if it really is close to the end its best to remember her happy before she went away on hols. And you know she has people around her at the moment.
But it is awful to suffer from this health anxiety, someone thats scared of planes can avoid them, someone thats scared of going out at the end of the day can stay in. No one can tell us we wont get anything nasty because they cant.
To worry we're dying all the time is to die a million times over anyway.
Keep strong.
Caz xxxx

Pete to win Big Brother! He is Daddy Fantastic with pants made of elastic!